SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to check out a salvage 07 T5 S40 and going to pick up some parts from it.

I am wondering if the T5 had HID's standard or not. If not is there a way to tell if they are HID? The car is not running to turn them on. What would be needed to pull from the salvage car if I wanted to put them on my 2.4i?

Or is it too big of a headache? Because of of the potential software/wiring issues.

·
Registered
386 Posts
They are not standard and chances are they are Halogen and it's easy to find out. When the lights are on they will have a distinct cutoff line vs. the spray you get with the Halogen so if you are able to shine them on a wall of some kind this is easiest. Otherwise if you're unable to turn them on you can pop the hood and remove the light housing and look. On these cars it's simple, there's a clip that you pull up that locked the housing in and you can simply remove them and look at the bulbs themselves. The obvious sign would be not seeing any type of ballast but you can pop the back off and look to make sure. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,200 Posts
Bi-xenon was in fact an option. Just rare because it was an extra $1k. Both of my S40s had stock HIDS though.
Easiest way to tell with the lights off, look for the blue tinted "halos."

But it'll be easier to swap in an HID kit. Otherwise, you'd need the lights, you'd have to rewire the entire system for the higher power bulbs, you'd need to have the dealer reprogram your car.
It can be done, but expect to pay at least $800, and that's buying the lights for dirt cheap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts