SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a set of HID headlights for my wife's 2013 XC70 in order to replace her standard halogen headlights. I got the set for a great price ($300) so I figured I'll see if it's an easy plug an play. Installing the headlight took all of about 4 minutes and the connector to the headlight plugged right in. So far so good....I thought I just had the quickest and easiest car mod of my life. Turned on the car, turned on headlights, and nothing! The only lights illuminating are the amber corner lights and the small parking light towards the middle. HIDs aren't turning on. There is a ballast in the lights (bigger silver square on the bottom of the headlights). Am I missing anything or is this just not a simple plug and play as I hoped?

If this will ultimately cost me more than the lights to make it work then I'll just sell the headlights for the price I got them for to someone that can actually use them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You need software to use it if the car does not have HID from factory you won´t be able to download that into the car, Carconfig is locked on halogen.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Need to change the HCM to one for xenon and download software via VDASH (Volvo won't do it).

·
Registered
251 Posts
It's possible without vdash too, if you know someone with access to carconfig via other means.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the input. Sounds like I'm missing two things - 1) extra hardware and 2) the software. This might just be more hassle/money than it's worth. I'll either try to sell the lights or see if I can retrofit the halogen hardware into the xenon projector housing to at least have the better headlight housing that's compatible with the car and use some LED bulbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi FAUGrad, a fellow member was able to get the swap from Halogen to OEM Projector Headlights, up and running by swapping the xenon bulbs and connectors with LED Bulbs without having to undergo any extra software or hardware updates. Refer to this thread for further info. Link:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I guess when we all talk about HID we are referring to the XENON-type HID? In Europe its Halogen or Xenon normally.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Working lights yes, but without level sensors it´s useless.
Self-leveling headlights are already required on new cars in Europe, and they're required on all U.S. cars equipped with bi-xenon headlights. Bi-xenon lights are so bright that they would blind other drivers if they didn't level themselves.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Self-leveling headlights are already required on new cars in Europe, and they're required on all U.S. cars equipped with bi-xenon headlights. Bi-xenon lights are so bright that they would blind other drivers if they didn't level themselves.

Yeah, but those that come with halogen doesn't require level sensors. It's probably possible to install, but probably not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
OEM HID Headlight Plug & Play

Vparts just came out with a LED conversion kit. Its Swedish spoken. Haven’t had any time to investigate yet. May use them for my highbeams. Next to my 5100K XENONS

GOOGLE translate:

LED CONVERSION TO VOLVO
Update your light with our LED conversion kits!

Works for both full and dipped beam.

All kits include separate resistor / fault code extinguisher to avoid problems with the car's electronics.

https://youtu.be/SOntarbTKio

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
OEM HID Headlight Plug & Play

Got this answer from them today;

Hello

It's almost plug n play =)
One must make a hole in the cover of the lamp to pull through the cable to the decoder. Otherwise it is easy as there are ready contacts that fit on the car.
It may take about 20 min to assemble the first time you do it.

Hi.

The price €102.00 is for a complete kit.
Have a nice day :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts