SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a low beam failure message for my driver side bulb. i went to the dealer to get a new bulb, gave them my car information (2007 S40 factory BiXenon) and they gave me a D2R bulb . . . . manual says i need a D2S bulb so the guy went out back and handed me a D2S bulb

it was branded Osram, when i got home and took out the factory bulb it was a Phillips brand

swapped it out anyways and the color is noticeably yellower compared to my working headlight :facepalm:

i'll probably return it tommorow, such a hassle. Is there a difference between D2S and D2R? what brand did you guys get from factory?

·
Registered
453 Posts
D2S is what you want (here's a thread talking about the difference). You should get a pair of bulbs you so don't have to deal with color matching.

When my bulbs burn out, I'm simply going to buy these: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/HID-Bulb-Replacements-Pair. Bulbs are very cheap to manufacture, and many companies mark up their prices to make more profit on an item that doesn't get replaced very often (people think they might as well spend a lot of money because headlights are important and they're only going to replace them rarely). But, these are so cheap and the bulbs are so easy to replace that even if they did break, you could buy several pairs before spending more money than even a single bulb from Volvo. Not to mention that they would have to break after a year for you not to be able to get them replaced for free under DDM Tuning's warranty...

·
Registered
238 Posts
What an incompetent dealer. Word of advice - always try and do your homework before visiting the dealer, just to spare yourself what you just experienced.

I did a bit of research on this topic previously. In Europe you can't go wrong with D2S Philips 85122 with German E1 approval. I am however not too familiar with the available Philips bulbs in the US. Seems Philips uses different names for some of the bulbs.

While I don't have any experience with Osram HID bulbs, I can tell you that Osram in general is a very reputable bulb brand in Europe. Having said that it seems most people recommend Philips HID bulbs across the different car brands.

D2R is for reflectors and D2S is for projectors - the latter being what is relevant for our cars.

Color and brightness is determined by how many K the bulb is spec'd at. OEM spec is 4200K or 4300K (seen info stating both - but thereabouts anyway). If you go e.g. 6000K the light should become slightly more blue, but theoretically it should provide less brightness and provide less visibility. Having said that many report good experiences with 5000K as well as 6000K and perhaps it is also about personal preference.

But it's probably not a coincidence that the likes of Mercedes, Audi, Volvo (and probably the rest of the brands) use 4200K/4300K bulbs stock.

Don't know about the yellow tint of the new bulb - almost sounds like you got a 3000K bulb. Or the bulbs which were installed prior to failing are more than stock spec (i.e. higher than 4300K) and once you put in a new 4300K bulb it doesn't match the color tone.

Either way always replace in pairs to ensure same color and brightness.

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts
I'm currently running with Philips Ultinon D2S 6000K (Philips Ultinon are some of THE best xenon bulbs you can get IMO)

I got them off Amazon for $60 a piece, from SpeedShop. I HIGHLY recommend those guys, one of my bulbs was delivered with small crack in it. The bulb would work sometimes but I contacted them about it and they shipped me a replacement for free. I also got my bulbs 3 days after order. <--my personal review, I'm not advertising

I find the 6000K to be brighter, the crack in the driveway had a lot of water build up from the rain and made that spot shinier.

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts
Also, just going to say, though it should be a no brainer.... Please replace both bulbs. When one goes, the other will follow soon. Even with Halogens, replace both so that way they are equal in color and brightness.

and if you haven't already noticed, when you start getting low beam bulb failures on Xenon bulbs, the bulb may still work occasionally. Always check by swapping the bulbs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, just going to say, though it should be a no brainer.... Please replace both bulbs. When one goes, the other will follow soon. Even with Halogens, replace both so that way they are equal in color and brightness.

and if you haven't already noticed, when you start getting low beam bulb failures on Xenon bulbs, the bulb may still work occasionally. Always check by swapping the bulbs.
i checked the low beam failure after replacing the bulb and it went away, i overexagerated the color difference, the new bulb isn't yellow, it's just definitely whiter/not as blue as the old bulb. i read up a little bit about color shift and that might explain it

i'm going to return the osram bulb and go with 2 phillips 81522

thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's some more info in case you are curious:

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f62/4300k-vs-6000k-216312/#post2798977

Btw, just after putting up my post I had a chance to compare 4300K with 6000K yesterday evening - albeit on two Audis. Both were using Philips bulbs less than 3 months old. 4300K do light up the road better than 6000K. Against a white garage door the 6000K is perceivably brighter and the 6000K may look better to many due to the colder/bluish tone. But it doesn't catch details and nuances as well on the road and in the surroundings. According to the guy driving with the 6000K bulbs the difference is definitely also apparent when the road is wet - where 4300K is much better according to him.

So if safety and real light performance is your preference go for stock color temperature.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Exactly the topic I was waiting for :D

Last week I had a few "Bulb out" messages... The xenons were working though. Hasn't come since... So I'm looking into new bulbs. Am thinking of GE Xensations...

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts
i overexagerated the color difference, the new bulb isn't yellow, it's just definitely whiter/not as blue as the old bulb.
Xenon bulbs take a while to "ease" into their full color. So I'm sure there was a bit of a yellower/whiter appearance.

Btw, just after putting up my post I had a chance to compare 4300K with 6000K yesterday evening - albeit on two Audis. Both were using Philips bulbs less than 3 months old. 4300K do light up the road better than 6000K. Against a white garage door the 6000K is perceivably brighter and the 6000K may look better to many due to the colder/bluish tone. But it doesn't catch details and nuances as well on the road and in the surroundings. According to the guy driving with the 6000K bulbs the difference is definitely also apparent when the road is wet - where 4300K is much better according to him.
6000K is a brighter bulb, but less illuminate in the visual spectrum. 8 years of studying Astronomy, Astrophysics, and DSOs :screwy:

If you're used to halogens, ANY xenon bulb will seem better to you. But definitely go with 4300k if you live in a more rural area. I live in the suburbs-that-are-becoming-a-city, so there are street lights everywhere. That's also why I didn't bother with regulated LEDs for my city lights, I never use my brights to over heat them. In my area, lighting is more about show than function, so 6000K was a no brainer :)

Last week I had a few "Bulb out" messages... The xenons were working though. Hasn't come since... So I'm looking into new bulbs. Am thinking of GE Xensations...
Definitely your bulbs going. Surprising that they would go so early, though how many "on miles" have they seen? My last xenon bulbs lasted until earlier this year (04-12), but they only saw about 80K miles. I've had my DRL disabled since then, so I'm expecting the current bulbs to last for a really long time.

As for GE bulbs, go with what ever you want really. There are some good overlooked brands. Just from most automotive forums, everyone seems to recommend Philips bulbs, it's hard to beat the prices on Amazon too.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well, my car is oder 5 years old and has ALWAYS been driven with lights on (light switch isn't ever touched). It's got ~135.000 km (~85.000 miles) on the odometer...

·
Registered
238 Posts
For reference my OEM bulbs have done the equivalent of 73K miles so far, but over a long period of 7.5 years. Still going strong - although not quite as bright as they used to be 4 years ago. But they are holding up well.

Twice I had one of the bulbs suddenly go black a couple of years/15K miles ago (though without any error messages) upon ignition. Turned off ignition and restarted - issue gone. Since then no issues so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts