SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone who celebrated Thanksgiving had a wonderful break.

Ok, I'm trying to figure out if I can change my existing battery to a higher power battery. I need to find a battery (if possible) that I can use for maybe 15-30 mins while the key is on position 1.

I have two small children and they watch their shows in car when we park and wait. I would get the message from the car indicating "low battery" in under 10 mins of useage. I dont really want to keep the car idling for long periods of time.

Is it even possible for me to somehow increase the battery time?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
In my camper I temp installed a second battery, just to be used by the kids for such purpose, ... it was charged while we were driving around thru a 12 volt cigar lighter outlet. When we stopped and the kids begain playing the 12 supply was unplugged from the vehicle system ... making sure we could still crank up and get out of the wilderness.

·
Registered
668 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Thank you, I did read that already. I'm unsure if that would help at all considering my OEM battery is already a 49.
How old is the battery? I would think 30 min of RSE would be easy on the battery if it was relatively fresh. If however the battery is 7 years old then you may have less than 20% of the original capacity.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just bought an Interstate battery (heavy duty) with a claimed 900 CCA rating. Tried to look it up online, but I get different result after doing their product search...maybe a misprint. I paid a good $220 for that battery. Here is a link to the heavy duty one, with a possible misprint for the CCA rating. There is also a chance it is not displayed on their website....

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...1-4294492300-4294493518-4294493369-2147384906

My four year old battery started feeling weak, and I tested it and it came out "poor" so I think I timed my replacement right. That original battery was only 600 CCA.

freezingalaskan

·
Registered
649 Posts
Just bought an Interstate battery (heavy duty) with a claimed 900 CCA rating. Tried to look it up online, but I get different result after doing their product search...maybe a misprint. I paid a good $220 for that battery. Here is a link to the heavy duty one, with a possible misprint for the CCA rating. There is also a chance it is not displayed on their website....

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...1-4294492300-4294493518-4294493369-2147384906

My four year old battery started feeling weak, and I tested it and it came out "poor" so I think I timed my replacement right. That original battery was only 600 CCA.

freezingalaskan
That is the same exact battery I got, except I paid $69.99 for a Black Friday sale. They sell these at Firestone - if you go in and speak to the manager and ask nicely, they'll usually take $20 off the price.

If you need more time with RSE, I would suggest installing a "deep cycle" battery or a AGM type battery. Batteries as 12v and aside from physical constraints, any battery will work. I don't know of any larger battery than the H8/49 that would fit in the area where the OEM battery is, though.

Just curious, why do you not want to idle? Modern engines don't overheat or have issues with extended idling, and idling for hours will still use very little fuel.

My 1991 Pathfinder truck that was a hand-me-down from my father would regularly idle for 4-5 hours at a time to power big inverters at events. Didn't use enough fuel to change the fuel level, and no problems with overheating or damaged catalytic converters - just make sure you don't park over high/dry vegetation or over anything potentially flammable. This is outlined in your owner's guide.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I think my battery might be too old, even though I'm not experiencing any problems starting the car. It has never been replace, so yes over seven yrs old. I always thought idling waste a lot of gas! I've seen multiple articles where they say it waste lots of gas.

I will test the battery in the morning after it sits in the garage for over 12 hours. I'll be looking for the battery you recommended.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, I didn't wait till morning, decided to test battery now. It's reading at 12.13v. Just drove the car 2hrs ago. Does this mean its bad? Considering all car battery should be reading at least 12v.

I decided to test my S80 battery that was replaced two months ago from stealer (charged me $267!), it read 12.23v. Is this right for a battery that is only two months old?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ok, I didn't wait till morning, decided to test battery now. It's reading at 12.13v. Just drove the car 2hrs ago. Does this mean its bad? Considering all car battery should be reading at least 12v.

I decided to test my S80 battery that was replaced two months ago from stealer (charged me $267!), it read 12.23v. Is this right for a battery that is only two months old?
Just testing voltage isn't going to tell much - the best way is to test the specific gravity of the electrolyte - but that's how the old-timers do it. Modern way is to get a load tester. I looks like a jumper battery pack, with the jumper cables and all, but instead of jumping your battery, it produces an artificial load of several hundred amps to simulate cranking the engine while at the same time reading the voltage and the amperage (current) that the battery is able to provide. I'm not sure what is a pass or fail, but if you bring your battery to any AutoZone they have this and can test your battery for you for free.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just testing voltage isn't going to tell much - the best way is to test the specific gravity of the electrolyte - but that's how the old-timers do it. Modern way is to get a load tester. I looks like a jumper battery pack, with the jumper cables and all, but instead of jumping your battery, it produces an artificial load of several hundred amps to simulate cranking the engine while at the same time reading the voltage and the amperage (current) that the battery is able to provide. I'm not sure what is a pass or fail, but if you bring your battery to any AutoZone they have this and can test your battery for you for free.
^^^^Wise advice!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank up you for the advise! Autozone for me tomorrow!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Reinnie,

This is off the subject. I noticed you own a S80 V8.

Are you happy with it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts