SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I made a discovery today and figured you all should be aware...if you are not already

So I rock a good size Aem Dryflow filter on my SR.

I recently have been in contact with Lucky about my seeming loss of power.
I was explaining to him that I don't seem to have the power of a "tuned" car. In-fact it pretty much felt as quick as a stock car.

I did some data logging and he told me my maf sensor readings (kg/hr) were low. Told me to check for boost leaks Etc etc. I knew for a fact my car had 0 leaks. Any ways.....when I did the logging i got anywhere from 892kg/hr to 920ishh. Right on par for my buddies bone stock R. Made me pretty pissed.

For ****s and giggles today, I swapped in my stock filter to see what the flow differences was....with the stock filter I was flowing 1015kg/hr!!!!! Same conditions as the high flow filter!!!! Needless to say my power was restored. It shocked me to see that the stock oem filter flowed 80-100 more kg/hr than the "performance filter"

This absolutely shocked me. Needless to say, the stock filter is back on and I am a happy camper. The Aem filter wasn't dirty or clogged by any means. Just goes to show what "performance" items can do to your setup. Not saying this is for all performance filter and what not, but definitely do some testing before you dedicate yourself to one filter.

Just some food for thought for some of you tuned guys or even stock R's :)

Enjoy

-Connor

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Have you tried a K&N?

Sure, the OEM is nice, but I just wish it lasted longer than 20k. I've had my K&N for 30k and haven't really noticed it being any worse than the stock. It's supposed to be better, but by such a small margin that it's hard to tell. I just know it's not worse. :p

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried a K&N?

Sure, the OEM is nice, but I just wish it lasted longer than 20k. I've had my K&N for 30k and haven't really noticed it being any worse than the stock. It's supposed to be better, but by such a small margin that it's hard to tell. I just know it's not worse. :p
Ya I am definitely open to options. I want to find a good flowing/looking intake setup. But this was my discoveries from today which utterly shocked me

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Ya I am definitely open to options. I want to find a good flowing/looking intake setup. But this was my discoveries from today which utterly shocked me
Actually that's a very useful and unexpected discovery. Thanks for posting. Hopefully you get a chance to compare to the K&N which seems to be the better replacement candidates.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Interesting, a good example of the benefits of live ECU monitoring. I have two K&N filters that I rotate in, gives me lots of time to wash, dry, and re-oil the dirty filter and a clean one is always available when I need it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock filter though, minus that stupid sock they put on it.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Interesting info for sure!

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting, a good example of the benefits of live ECU monitoring. I have two K&N filters that I rotate in, gives me lots of time to wash, dry, and re-oil the dirty filter and a clean one is always available when I need it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock filter though, minus that stupid sock they put on it.
Exactly. I am trying to stay away from oiled filters. I'll steal my buddies and do some logging and see what that gets me.

My issue now is building a shield to keep the engine heat off the filter!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I recently have been in contact with Lucky about my seeming loss of power.
I was explaining to him that I don't seem to have the power of a "tuned" car. In-fact it pretty much felt as quick as a stock car.
What is the timeline for modifications here? Were you running the ARD tune with the stock filter and then you switched to the AEM dryflow filter and immediately noticed a loss of power, or did you already have the AEM dryflow filter installed when you installed the ARD tune?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the timeline for modifications here? Were you running the ARD tune with the stock filter and then you switched to the AEM dryflow filter and immediately noticed a loss of power, or did you already have the AEM dryflow filter installed when you installed the ARD tune?
Had aem one month after getting the car was like the first mod

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Careful with K&N guys. Here is mine after the first wash/re-oil. I didn't use any brushes or force. Just a garden hose with gentle water to wash away the grime. As you can see, the 'filter' is covered with a lot of holes. I actually went to autozone to take a look at a few filters. I held them to the light and every single K&N one had these sized holes.... Look online and you'll see that many people are seeing the same things. Here's a thread I made a few months back.

K-amp-N-filter-warning.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Careful with K&N guys. Here is mine after the first wash/re-oil. I didn't use any brushes or force. Just a garden hose with gentle water to wash away the grime. As you can see, the 'filter' is covered with a lot of holes. I actually went to autozone to take a look at a few filters. I held them to the light and every single K&N one had these sized holes.... Look online and you'll see that many people are seeing the same things. Here's a thread I made a few months back.

K-amp-N-filter-warning.

I mean in all honesty...how big of a deal can those hole be? They aren't massive? And dirt or grime or whatever would have to be sucked in directly in front of those holes.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I mean in all honesty...how big of a deal can those hole be? They aren't massive? And dirt or grime or whatever would have to be sucked in directly in front of those holes.
Well considering I have an R-kely intake, I do get quite a bit of grit in the airbox that I clean out every oil change, I don't want my filter to have any holes. The stuff you're trying to filter is measured in microns not thousands of inch like these holes.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Exactly. I am trying to stay away from oiled filters. I'll steal my buddies and do some logging and see what that gets me.

My issue now is building a shield to keep the engine heat off the filter!
Thats what I wanted to do. I was gonna take the stock box, block off the stock air ram hole with some plastic/metal sheet and install my R-kelly CAI and then find a material that would be good at reflecting heat from the engine bay and line the outside of the stock box (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M-SpecialtyTapes/SpcltyTape/ProdInfo/Spec6/GlassCloth/) or just custom build a box around the air filter from said material.

Maybe even try to custom fit it so when the hood closes it will seal to the contours of the hood and install a hood grille over top if I wanted to run an open top like air intake so I still can hear it :)

Just random thoughts while at work lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
Hah, mine looked like that without washing. That's why I'm back on the OEM paper element.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I was actually considering going back to stock (without the sock) soon. I have an AEM as well. This helps me make my decision more palpable. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts