SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting Falken Wildpeak All Trails for the V90CC. Will i run into any problems fitting slightly taller tires?
On that subject, out of curiosity, will 245/50/20 Wildpeaks be an issue versus the OEM 245/45?

Wheels will be their corresponding OEM 19 and 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Going from 235/50R19 to 235/55R19 will reduce the diametrical clearance between your Tires and wheel well by almost an inch (23.5mm).
Similarly, going from 245/45R20 to 245/50R20 will reduce the diametrical clearance between your tires and wheel well by almost an inch as well (24.5mm).

The wheel well clearances in V90CC at 9 O'clock and 3 O'clock position (when the observer is facing the wheel) is tiny. Find attached pictures of my V90CC for reference.

Even if the (slightly) oversized tires do fit in the standard (straight-ahead) position, the fronts might be susceptible to rub when the steering is locked in either direction (when turning).

Add to that (and this personally happened with me on several occasions), when driving through snow, the snow has a tendency to stick to the rear wheel well due to the noise-insulation material (felt?) used to line the rear wheel well and rub against the tire to a point where the tire would start to smoke due to friction (at interstate speeds, driving continuously for hours). This issue will only be further exaggerated with the reduced clearance at 9 O'clock and 3 O'clock position. I remember having to stop every 30-odd minutes, removing snow from the wheel wells, and then continuing my drive so that my vehicle doesn't wobble and shake like it's gonna break apart. YMMV, of course, depending on your local weather conditions.

I would frankly suggest sticking to the OEM sizing. My 2-cents, and I hope it helps you make a call.

·
Registered
552 Posts
During the winter I am running 235-55/19 on my V90 CC. These are the OEM size for XC90, I bought a used set of wheels and tires from an XC90. There's no rubbing or anything while turning and flexing the suspension.
Our 19" OEM size is 28.3" diam. The one I'm running is 29.2" diam.
Moreover, when I got new all-season tires for my CC I actually went 245-50/19, with 28.7" diam, I like the subtle better stance of a wider tire. Only reason I didn't go 255-50/19 was because there was a really good sale on those Cinturato P7s at the time (almost 50% off).

So, in my experience, slightly wider and taller tires don't rub (I can't speak for 255s though).

Reactions: VeeNinety13

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During the winter I am running 235-55/19 on my V90 CC. These are the OEM size for XC90, I bought a used set of wheels and tires from an XC90. There's no rubbing or anything while turning and flexing the suspension.
Our 19" OEM size is 28.3" diam. The one I'm running is 29.2" diam.
Moreover, when I got new all-season tires for my CC I actually went 245-50/19, with 28.7" diam, I like the subtle better stance of a wider tire. Only reason I didn't go 255-50/19 was because there was a really good sale on those Cinturato P7s at the time (almost 50% off).

So, in my experience, slightly wider and taller tires don't rub (I can't speak for 255s though).
Good to know. For a “lifted” wagon I’m surprised we don’t get more clearance. But I guess that’s for SUVS.

Any pics of your cars with the 235 55 19?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here you go

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here you go

Sent from my XZ2 Compact using Tapatalk
Do you think stepping down the width to 225 from 235 but bumping the height to 55 will be a bad move? I noticed the diameter ends up being close to 235/50/19 but I don't want to stretch the tires.

·
Registered
552 Posts
225-55/19 has 28.8" diam
235-55/19 has 29.2" diam.

The difference is marginal, I don't think you will be "stretching" the tires (whatever that means). Speed traps currently match exactly what my speedometer shows, for whatever that is worth.

I'd say go with whatever is best for the application you will be using...is wider better or thinner better?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
225-55/19 has 28.8" diam
235-55/19 has 29.2" diam.

The difference is marginal, I don't think you will be "stretching" the tires (whatever that means). Speed traps currently match exactly what my speedometer shows, for whatever that is worth.

I'd say go with whatever is best for the application you will be using...is wider better or thinner better?

To be completely transparent, I'm trying to fit Falken Wildpeaks All Trail tires. They're currently one of the better all terrain tires made for some SUV / CUV sizes. They're light, easy on the noise and not aggressive killing your MPG. With that said, their options for 19s is 225/55 and 235/55.

225/55 solves the OEM spec diameter and wheel well clearance but I lose "some" contact patch.
235/55 retains the width which I think might be handy if I want to go semi off-road (correct me if i'm wrong) but I'm killing the wheel well clearance which might not be good in heavy snow conditions.

I was a 2021 Subaru Outback XT buyer but pursued the V90CC with it's refinement and no CVT. I'm now in a position to make do some of the things I planned to do with the outback modification wise to have a more versatile vehicle.

Time spent will be more on road for the car for sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm interrested by the same tires/setup as you. I've found a lift kit for our cars (mine is a '17 V90 CC) for about 1'' (25 mm) on eBay (from Russia). And the main reason for those tires is because I want a more rugged look, a little bit more clearance. Thanks for infos!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'm interrested by the same tires/setup as you. I've found a lift kit for our cars (mine is a '17 V90 CC) for about 1'' (25 mm) on eBay (from Russia). And the main reason for those tires is because I want a more rugged look, a little bit more clearance. Thanks for infos!
You want to lift the CC even more?? Are you going to offroad it??? I'm curious :)

Post link of the lift kit.

·
Registered
112 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
You want to lift the CC even more?? Are you going to offroad it??? I'm curious :)
Not necessarily, but I want a more rugged look. I think there is not so much difference between the CC and the "normal" V90.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Not necessarily, but I want a more rugged look. I think there is not so much difference between the CC and the "normal" V90.
Thanks for the link, interesting.

2.3" (71mm) height difference seems sizable to me...of course 3.3 is more and probably useful in the right terrain.

How do you raise the rear if you don't have rear air suspension?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the link, interesting.

2.3" (71mm) height difference seems sizable to me...of course 3.3 is more and probably useful in the right terrain.

How do you raise the rear if you don't have rear air suspension?
From the ebay item :

"The kit consists of polyurethane spacers of rear springs and front struts that increase the vehicle's ground clearance by 25 millimeters. The quality of off-road driving is improved. "

·
Registered
14 Posts
To be completely transparent, I'm trying to fit Falken Wildpeaks All Trail tires. They're currently one of the better all terrain tires made for some SUV / CUV sizes. They're light, easy on the noise and not aggressive killing your MPG. With that said, their options for 19s is 225/55 and 235/55.

225/55 solves the OEM spec diameter and wheel well clearance but I lose "some" contact patch.
235/55 retains the width which I think might be handy if I want to go semi off-road (correct me if i'm wrong) but I'm killing the wheel well clearance which might not be good in heavy snow conditions.

I was a 2021 Subaru Outback XT buyer but pursued the V90CC with it's refinement and no CVT. I'm now in a position to make do some of the things I planned to do with the outback modification wise to have a more versatile vehicle.

Time spent will be more on road for the car for sure.
did you ever try the Falken Wildpeaks on the CC?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts