SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon, while driving to Home Depot to return a rented ladder, I had windows rolled down and I was listening to Sam Smith’s Latch at about 70% of the volume (bass sound good on this song). When I came to a red light and the auto start/stop engaged I realized that the bass cut down substantially while the engine was off then, as soon as the engine re-ignites, the full bass comes back on. I monitored that behavior over the next few engine shut downs and it did it every time. This isn’t noticeable at volumes below 50%, probably because amplifier doesn’t draw that much energy at lower volumes. I am fairly confident that is the way it is supposed to work to save energy but I still find it odd. However, you do get full bass it the engine is fully off. Has anyone noticed the same?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Never noticed and I do not think my V90CC does that. I normally listen to bass-heavy songs on high volume and have the auto-start/stop kick in multiple times every day and not once have I noticed my Volume or my Bass level drop.

Maybe its because the battery is not fully charged? Have you noticed it every time or just yesterday? I'm leaning towards this not being a normal thing. I'll specifically check for this in a couple of hours though, and update here if I find any difference.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When the battery is not fully charged (or low) the auto start/stop doesn't engage...so it is not the battery. I just paid attention to it at lunch, and I can tell even at 35-40% of the volume the bass level drop...so it does all the time. At that low volume it is hard to notice but it does happen, try it with high volume first so it is easier to notice if it does it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have the HK system in our VOR, and it does the same thing. It's part of the engine noise adjustment. It's less noticable at lower volumes because it's either not active under some threshold, or we just don't pick up on the decrease at lower settings.

If it's programmed to drop the volume 10% of whatever the volume setting is at when the engine stops, that's more dB at higher setting than at a lower setting.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
I checked this out. I did not notice any reduction in Volume and/or bass in my B&W equipped V90CC. Stop/Started 3 times during my drive back home and no reduction whatsoever. At least nothing that I noticed. Was listening to Megadeth, Slayer and the likes (so loud bass-full metal music), if that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts