SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My front tires seem to be wearing oddly. Chunks of the tire are being ripped off. What could be causing this?
I currently have ~61k and the VR is a 2006.

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wheel rub? Poor alignment?

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Is this on the inside of the tire? Check wheel well chassis and if there is a rubbed polished metal mark anywhere inside the well/liner. But it almost looks like the metal shield is ripping into the tire. Not a good sign.

Looks like you need new steering bumper stops, or get spacers, or replace with narrower tires (225/40/18)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this on the inside of the tire? Check wheel well chassis and if there is a rubbed polished metal mark anywhere inside the well/liner. But it almost looks like the metal shield is ripping into the tire. Not a good sign.

Looks like you need new steering bumper stops, or get spacers, or replace with narrower tires (225/40/18)
Chunks are ripping off the inner and outer parts of the front passenger tire and just the inner part the front driver side tire.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Chunks are ripping off the inner and outer parts of the front passenger tire and just the inner part the front driver side tire.
More pics of passenger tire? Looks like it's just the drivers side there.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
What air pressure on the tires?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
What air pressure on the tires?
I was just thinking that too. If your pressure is too low, you'll get major wear on the outer edges.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Even with low tire pressure...it shouldn't be ripping off pieces of the tire. Right?

Safe to say my shocks are blown?
Well, it's something you can cross off the list of possible problems. As others have mentioned, check the struts.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I do tires and alignments for a living, Align that R! X2 on the suspension questions too.. are the front shocks good? or leaking?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brought the car to the dealer this morning...dealer just told me it wasn't the suspension but a defective tire is causing the problem. What are the odds of both my front tires being defective. Could that seriously be the problem?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
...but a defective tire is causing the problem. What are the odds of both my front tires being defective. Could that seriously be the problem?

Thanks.
Michelin Pilot A/S tires? 2 of them with the same condition? Hmmm. Something sounds fishy. How many miles since they began looking like this? Was there a tire rotation in that time period?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts