SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting at work and trying to think through an odd issue I noticed today. Thoughtful discussion would help me keep my mind off work for a while. :)

Each of the 4 or 5 times that I've started the car today it has exhibited the same symptom. For the first half-second or so (I'm thinking the first cycle after the starter has done its job and the engine is running), the engine seems to run really rough. Its a rough shudder, almost like an law mower that coughs as it is getting its fuel flow going. Within seconds, the idle settles down and it runs fine. I noticed no issues this morning during my 40 minute commute...built boost, pulled strong, no issues at idle. No CEL. I plan on hooking up the DICE when I get home to see if there are any other codes...but it has me perplexed.

The other odd symptom is that when I turn the car off, the last cycle or so exhibits similar shudder...again like the lawnmower who is losing its fuel supply.

Last weekend I had the intake, wastegate actuator, TCV and related hoses all apart to install a VIVA CBV...and the car has run fine since...so I doubt that it is related. Maybe something silly is lose or disconnected? I also took the engine covers off, including the side belt cover, to paint them. They're back on now, and I don't believe they're rubbing or rattling and could be the cause of the problem.

IPD R coils installed 10 months ago, probably 10K miles on the NGK plugs, fuel pump was replaced in February. I've been looking for similar problems involving leaky fuel injectors, but haven't seen much comparable.

What could cause such an issue at start up and at shut down? I'd imagine that ignition related things like plugs, injectors and coils would show up at other times, particularly at WOT. No sign of any other trouble...just at these two times.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Fuel pressure sensor. Get the Land Rover part. If you use search you will find a thread with the part number.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that likely to throw a code that VIDA will show?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I had the same issue, never could trace it, until I replaced the iPd HD transmission mount bushings with the black iPd bushing and power flex smaller bushing. After that the noise and stumble on startup and shutdown was gone.

Definitely can't hurt, my bushings were in decent shape, didn't obviously need replacement, but hey it sure made a big difference.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
is that likely to throw a code that VIDA will show?
It did in my '05 but someone posted saying their '04 didn't throw a code and his problems stopped when he replaced the FPS anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same issue, never could trace it, until I replaced the iPd HD transmission mount bushings with the black iPd bushing and power flex smaller bushing. After that the noise and stumble on startup and shutdown was gone.
That's bizarre. I've got IPD upper and lower mounts, the the black bushing is sitting on a shelf at home. As a result of the shudder, there definitely is some exhaust or downpipe rattling going on...but it seems to me that's still indicative of some bucking or at least inconsistent firing in the engine. Hmm....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just figured it out...Stefan, I think you're actually right. I've got a dying original clutch and flywheel...which are on their last legs at 138k on the clock. In the last week or so, the dual mass flywheel has gotten notably louder. Tonight on the drive home, I heard the rattle a few times when I wasn't starting or killing the engine...the last one being in my driveway. I got out, popped the hood and walked around a bit. The sound is clearly coming from under the middle of the front of the car...aka the transmission area. The motor purrs just fine...and I bet its the dying bearings (or whatever fails in the dual mass flywheels) causing some excess rattling in the clutch/flywheel/engine attachments. Putting a softer transmission (or other) mount would reduce the vibration...and likely change the frequency. I bet this is what Stefan experienced. I'd be curious to know at what mileage (and what state of the clutch and flywheel) the car was at when you had this issue.

In any case, I'm done worrying about it...hope this conclusion clues in some future driveR. In the meantime, time to order up my new slave cylinder, angle and collar gear kits, a VIVA single mass flywheel and a new OEM clutch. How much labor time should I expect my indy to do all of that in? 10 hours? Gonna be an expensive little trip. :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I just figured it out...Stefan, I think you're actually right. I've got a dying original clutch and flywheel...which are on their last legs at 138k on the clock. In the last week or so, the dual mass flywheel has gotten notably louder. Tonight on the drive home, I heard the rattle a few times when I wasn't starting or killing the engine...the last one being in my driveway. I got out, popped the hood and walked around a bit. The sound is clearly coming from under the middle of the front of the car...aka the transmission area. The motor purrs just fine...and I bet its the dying bearings (or whatever fails in the dual mass flywheels) causing some excess rattling in the clutch/flywheel/engine attachments. Putting a softer transmission (or other) mount would reduce the vibration...and likely change the frequency. I bet this is what Stefan experienced. I'd be curious to know at what mileage (and what state of the clutch and flywheel) the car was at when you had this issue.

In any case, I'm done worrying about it...hope this conclusion clues in some future driveR. In the meantime, time to order up my new slave cylinder, angle and collar gear kits, a VIVA single mass flywheel and a new OEM clutch. How much labor time should I expect my indy to do all of that in? 10 hours? Gonna be an expensive little trip. :)
I hope that's not the case! I have 72,000 miles, the noise was apparent since I got the car at 66,000 miles. In my situation I had old transmission fluid, which gummed up my syncros and made startups or shifting very jerky, hence creating the vibration. New transmission fluid definitely helped to quell the vibration but the startup and shutdown noise was still there.

I actually used stiffer bushings though, the black large bushing and power flex bushing made the whole mount very rigid, which eliminated the excess vibration and rattle.

My .02 is to order the $26 power flex from viva, pop it in and pop in the iPd black bushing, and see if that helps. It's not expensive and doesn't take much time, and it sure beats buying a new fps that may not be your issue (although it certainly could be).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My .02 is to order the $26 power flex from viva, pop it in and pop in the iPd black bushing, and see if that helps. It's not expensive and doesn't take much time, and it sure beats buying a new fps that may not be your issue (although it certainly could be).
Yeh just finished doing this. Was fun burning the little booger out and watching him burn. Didn't require any kind of press to insert the new one, not even the lubricant.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bah. As evidence of the sort of week I've been having...this morning I discovered that the metal on metal rattling was actually my engine stabilizer bar...where the nut I forgot to tighten with the wrench had fallen off. It bounced around like crazy....in particular when the car was starting and shutting down. A dollar or so at the local hardware store...and the rattle is gone.

Glad it was cheap...but man do I feel like an idiot.

Thanks for indulging.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts