SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hello, this is my first time posting. I bought an 850R a year and a half ago and have been lurking on this board ever sense. It has been a great source of helpful information but something happened while making a u-turn recently and I'm stumped....hoping someone has an idea of what may be the cause.

I made a fairly tight u-turn and upon completing the turn found that I can now turn the steering wheel to the left as usual, but turning the wheel to the right is nearly impossible...like there's no power steering...but only when turning right???

Stopped by a Volvo repair shop and they told me that I'd need a new steering rack. Before I shell out $1200 (does that sound like a reasonable amount to replace a steering rack?) I thought I'd see if anyone could confirm that this is needed. Also, if anyone could recommend a good Volvo repair shop in the Seattle area I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
There is a good independent Volvo shop in Everett on Colby or Rucker. Bothell isnt that far from Everett. I lived in Everett for 8 years. I cant remember the name of the main street that it is on. Cant remember the name of the shop either. There are tons of Volvo's in front of it though. There is a good Pick n Pull in Lynnwood on 99 and also in Everett those parts can be had.

You can get your own rack at IPD in Oregon or FCP Groton for sure, less expensive than the dealer. $1200 soundslike a rip though.

Modified by DVolvoguy777 at 2:34 PM 4-26-2006

Modified by DVolvoguy777 at 2:34 PM 4-26-2006

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Odd steering problem (Bothell850)

Not even close.
You can buy a guaranteed rebuilt rack from http://www.fcpgroton.com/ for about $250
Labor is abour 2 to 3 hours and you DO need one by the sound of it.
So you're looking at more like 5-$600 TOPS not double that
Even if you want to pay a Volvo dealer to do the labor, give him the rack and save at least $400. Not rocket science, any competent mechanic can do this.
You will need an alignment too
I'm doing a rack tomorrow (I paid a bit less, I AM a dealer
) but I
ll let you know how much the labor was
JRL

Modified by JRL at 10:00 AM 4-26-2006

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Odd steering problem (JRL)

Thanks!!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. You just saved me several hundred dollars. I'll dig around and try to find that shop in Everett to install the rack once I get it. Again, I really appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Odd steering problem (JRL)

That is a bit high for just this component.

They're probably quoting for a brand new rack with new tie ends and an alignment. All at full markup on new Volvo parts, it seems.

Still, it can be done for less if you want to go rebuilt. You can even do this yourself if you have enough savvy. It's not that hard a job.

Make sure whoever does the job refills the system with synthetic fluid. The power assist will perform better, especially in winter. Since they're in there, I would replace the tie rod ends and the sway links if they haven't been done in a long time. They develop a bit of play past a certain point. You might as well enjoy the new rack for all it's worth.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Bothell,

That shop is a brown brick building ( looks old ) with a 6-8 car parking garage with dusty older Volvos in them. Can't miss it. Its on the right hand side going North. Its kinda close to AMMCO transmition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts