SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my R has developed an odd metallic noise at idle and in the low rpm range in first gear. The sound almost sounds like a heat shield in terms of the light weight metallic noise it makes. I haven't had much time recently but i did manage to slide under the car and it sounds like it is coming from somewhere around the area where the downpipe meets the exhaust. I wont have much free time in the next week or so, so i was hoping someone here had been through this before and could point me in the right direction. The noise is really annoying on start-up and in first gear. I would love to get this sorted as soon as I get some free time. Thanks guys...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additionally-It doesn't make the noise consistently during idle, only at some points. Also when in first gear it seems to only be when coming off the clutch. My hunch is that it is related to the RPM's and the vibrations/exhaust from the low rpm range in first gear. But that is just my guess and I have no clue what that points to.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Get a broom handle and push on the flex section of the DP.
There are two layers plus the mesh sleeve.
The outer layer can break loose and rattle.
You have no detail indicating any perf parts. The above is for the stock DP.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Get a broom handle and push on the flex section of the DP.
There are two layers plus the mesh sleeve.
The outer layer can break loose and rattle.
You have no detail indicating any perf parts. The above is for the stock DP.
I would bet on that too, my stock DP developed a leak where the flex bend was as well and causing a whole bunch of noise. That opened way to a new exhaust and dp :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Or if you took off the EBD, and didn't put the bolts back in to hold the shield in place. I did that once...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts