SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, on my last trip to Chicago, I was caught in a very heavy downpour. The car continued to run fine, wipers could keep up, but man, every single window in the car completely fogged up, to the point where I had to grab a shirt from the backseat and keep wiping the windshield, otherwise I'd run off the road! I'm not sure what exactly would cause this, and I'm hoping you fellas could point me in the right direction. My thoughts are something is stopping the drainage by the firewall, or it's something to do with my air-mix switch that doesn't appear to function any longer, stuck in the open position. Have any of you heard of such a problem, and any possible remedies? It was actually quite concerning, as if I didn't have a shirt to wipe the windshield, I very well could've went off the road.

Any advice is, as always greatly appreciated.

-dorvin

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
This is happening only when it's raining, and you're sure that it is from water? This is a common issue when the heater core goes bad and leaks.
Are you seeing water coming in around your sunroof (if you have one) or the vapor barriers on the doors?

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heater core was replaced last fall, and is showing no sign of leaks. Also, as a result of my drive in this morning (chilly in Minnesota already) the air-mix switch is functioning. Sun roof looks good, didn't notice any leaks there, and haven't noticed a drip during a car wash.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Did you try running the a/c compressor with the temp mix turned up to warm or hot and the defrost on? I have to do this sometimes when it rains here because of the sudden differentials in humidity. I find it takes having the defrost vents on to the windshield, but with heat, and the compressor running to dry the air.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, the AC compressor is out of commission, I can't seem to get it to click on, and I haven't had a chance to measure the gap to see if that's the culprit. I'll try that. I haven't heard of running the compressor while it's raining, but it makes sense that it would dry out the air coming in.

This doesn't answer your question but because it's probably frustrating, in the mean time you could treat the inside of the windows with this

http://www.autobarn.net/anti-fog.html?site=google_base&gclid=CNfm-YrdnsgCFQiOaQodz2MHOQ

I did my front windshield because this was a repeat issue for me and this stuff worked well.

However, if your side windows are tinted, definitely do not use it. It will ruin the tint.
Thanks Saleen9090,

I may have to give that a shot, as I'm not sure when I'll be able to diagnose the compressor.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Get your AC fixed and use the Defrost mode.
That will solve your problem.

·
Registered
'12 S60 T5
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welp, that's the agenda for this weekend. That's everyone for the advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts