SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new here to start out with.

Recently picked up a 2005 Volvo S40 T5 FWD. First Volvo ever owned.

Drove half way across the nation to get it and have loved it so far and it was great on the road trip back.

This could just be me because I like to over analyze things, and buying a new car can always be a nerve racking experience, but my car developed a weird noise shortly after getting it home.

It only does it on start ups and is from the rear passenger side of the engine (directly where the turbo and turbo inlet pipe are), but goes away after about 2 mins. My best description of the sound would be like a hole in the intake pipe. It is a chirping/sucking noise that appears to increase in pitch with the turbo and rpms. If the car idles the noise normally doesn't exist but I've heard it then too. After the car idles for about 2 mins I can rev it and everything is fine, there is no sound and it appears to be completely normal. Drives well, boosts well, and no smoke or CELs. I removed the inlet pipe and inspected it, as well as looked into the turbo and checked for oil or similar and didn't find anything alarming there. Im kinda stumped. I've owned a couple audis and other turbo'd cars in the past so I have had turbos go out on me before and make all sorts of noises, but this one is new to me and the turbo doesn't seem to show any signs of failing.

What could it possibly be in that area? Where could I start trouble shooting?

I do have a slightly squeaky accessory belt at times that I will be replacing soon, but that seems to be unrelated.

Car has 78,000 miles

Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gonna dig around below the turbo tonight after work and see if I can find anything. Nobody has every had any strange start up noise from this area? It appears to be directly related to when the turbo spools. It goes away pretty religously after a min or two and drives great. Also, the noise does not change if the engine is restarted hot or cold, always exists if the car has been sitting for more then about 15 mins.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After digging for quite a while, I ended up finding that the exhaust manifold had 3 nuts on the passenger side that had backed off. Tightened up now, good as new, probably due to the long road trip. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts