SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooo kind of weird I have this leak and here are the properties of the fluid that is coming out

-Clear like water
-Oil constancy feeling
-Will stain concrete

Now I have been told this may be just due to me running the A/C , which I only summer drive my car so i am using it a lot, but I would think that should just be water without the oil texture along with it

The only time it is noticed is when it has been driven for a while eg. highway and parked. There is not very much fluid and it seems to be either a slow leak or a 1 time big leak.

Before I take it to a shop I thought I would ask here first.

Note Everything else is working just fine no issues other than a click when shifting.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Where is it leaking first like where do you find it on the underside of the engine also have you personally changed the fluids on the car? Im asking because you would know what colors the fluids are if you've done it.
Ie: typically in my experience trans fluid is red and the coolant is green or red I just was wondering if you've changed anything in the engine with lighter fluid.
It sounds possible that its condensation thats mixing with some fluid on the bottom side and potentially diluting it and thats the clear aspect

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where is it leaking first like where do you find it on the underside of the engine also have you personally changed the fluids on the car? Im asking because you would know what colors the fluids are if you've done it.
Ie: typically in my experience trans fluid is red and the coolant is green or red I just was wondering if you've changed anything in the engine with lighter fluid.
It sounds possible that its condensation thats mixing with some fluid on the bottom side and potentially diluting it and thats the clear aspect

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It is leaking just in towards the engine from the front passenger tire. When I first got it I changed the basic stuff coolant oil and power steering. All of these would not be clear even though I know they make a clear universal power steering fluid.

I have noticed my oil pan gasket is "sweating" but it is not near where the leak builds up and that I cleaned and drove and the sweating would take over a month to build up enough to be noticeable under the car.

My other half thinks its something with the rack/trans I think its just water from running the A/C but the oily feeling and the staining on the concrete seems like it might be something else.

I should have added all that in there.

The CV axles have also been changed as they seem to hate me so Perhaps the Axles are leaking ?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Another odd fluid found on these cars is the hydraulic fluid in the engine mounts. I'm not familiar with what goes where on the C30, but an engine mount on my XC90 sprung a leak and left a track down the side of it and down onto the undercarriage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another odd fluid found on these cars is the hydraulic fluid in the engine mounts. I'm not familiar with what goes where on the C30, but an engine mount on my XC90 sprung a leak and left a track down the side of it and down onto the undercarriage.

hummmm That could very well be I did not know they had that. What system is that part of or is it like a strut that just uses what's inside?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is also compressor oil (which is clear) in the AC system.

I did not even think of that and could very well be that. I still have a new more months of snow to figure it out and/or fix it

I do hope its not to much of a pain to fix.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
hummmm That could very well be I did not know they had that. What system is that part of or is it like a strut that just uses what's inside?
It's a finite amount of fluid manufactured in place inside of a rubber cushion bladder
Besides AC oil, shocks have clear oil in them.The AC can be in use during winter as part of the windshield defrost function.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Motor mount, The passenger side is fluid filled and will leak a redish-brown fluid when it goes bad.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Are you sure it's not coolant? If its the original blue coolant, than it may be water like when by itself, and oily.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This over the weekend has narrowed it down to my compressor. Looks like it may be failing, which would be by it is water like a oily.

There is no discoloration at all in the fluid but my car has not gone anywhere for about 4 months and over the weekend I started it up and let it run with the A/C on and it seems to be a A/C issue.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Glad you found what it was, sad to hear it was the A/C. If you are going to overhaul it, seems like it may be best to do a receiver dryer / orifice at the same time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad you found what it was, sad to hear it was the A/C. If you are going to overhaul it, seems like it may be best to do a receiver dryer / orifice at the same time.

This car for the most part is a summer only/modified "wannabe" racecar lol I might try to run it another summer see how it goes and next winter change out a lot of the cooling components as i have a few add on items I will prob install at the same time. Personally I am happy it seems like its something in the A/C rather than the drivetrain

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The thing is that on these cars, if the A/C compressor locks up it can potentially damage your engine timing system as those belts run around the main pulley. Also not having defrost in the summer is not fun, and potentially dangerous with a car full of people who can fog the windows on a humid day... almost died in traffic and had to pull over to wipe off the windshield with a blanket.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is that on these cars, if the A/C compressor locks up it can potentially damage your engine timing system as those belts run around the main pulley. Also not having defrost in the summer is not fun, and potentially dangerous with a car full of people who can fog the windows on a humid day... almost died in traffic and had to pull over to wipe off the windshield with a blanket.

The only person that would be in my car is me lol. I don't really have much else in there. The issue I have is without an interior my gwad its hot in there with a black car. So the A/C is my saving grace but honestly I don't need to keep it... It has not leaked for months now so I would say its prob not to bad yet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a look at your coolant expansion tank mate.
I had the same issue. Residue on the floor and my AC compressor is toast. But, i found coolant sprayed in my engine bay, and on the floor when the tank finally ruptured.

First image was taken on the 25th, day after i bought the car. 2nd image was on the 2nd after it came back from the mechanics.

Coolant expansion tank is on the drivers side(right side) and its fairly easy to spot if its leaking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts