SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I recently noticed something strange with the R and it seems to come and go.

On a particular day i had to go somewhere with my gf and the car was pulling to one side and would have steering shake at 80+kmh. As i stopped to the store i obviously had to turn the steering to full locks to park between cars and i quickly noticed this loud '' bong '', '' clunk '' noise coming from the front end as i turn the wheel. It always happened at this same spot and i could recreate the sound as i turned the wheel each side full lock. The roads had a quite a bit of snow and the car sat with parts covered the night before.

I checked underneath quickly the day after to see if anything was appearant, i saw nothing so i decided to go for a ride and the R drove perfectly, no clunking, no pulling and it wasnt shaking as much. Pretty confusing at this point.

Now the day after it started snowing like crazy and i got stuck trying to pass somewhere, there was tons of snow and the R was most likely sitting on it, i managed to get out on my own using a small shovel and lots of D, R transmission shifts... i most likely plowed trought the snow and my parts were entirely covered. I was tired afak after this so i went home and let the car sit like this. The same symptoms start happening again like described above the day after getting stuck so i obviously decide to take each tire off, i looked for plays and i even swapped the rear tires to the front just incase. The bearings looked tight, springs arent broken, the rods looked tight and nothing was showing off to back up all the symptoms... i got everything back together and drove the car and it was still doing the same thing so i decide to drive like this for a bit just to see if it was going to go away while driving. I stop to a store in order to buy something and when i started the car all the symptoms were gone and there was no clunking anymore, nothing.

I got back home and i'am pretty confused at this point, is the problem because of snow buildups ? it seems pretty intermitent...

I'am going to carefully watch for symptoms during the next few days.

Any help appreciated !

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If this can help identifying the problem i can explain the sound i experience more in details, it looks like something under tension that gets released. It sounds really like ''dong'', the sound seems to be shaking and i can feel it in the steering. What could be building tension and then released when turning the wheel side to side like this and cause the noise + pulling + shaking ?

Thanks again !

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sounds like spring seats and/or strut bearings.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My car had a clunking while stationary and lightly shaking the wheel left and right quickly. Ended up being a loose outer tie rod end for the most part. Still the lightest clunk which is most likely a universal joint in the column.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So i took the R back for a ride after 2-3 hours sitting and the noise is somehow gone, the car was not pulling anymore and i tried several times to recreate the clunk turning my steering to full lock at times and unlocking. The steering was not shaking as much but i couldnt go above 80km due to how much snow there is on the roads so i cant really test if it does at high speed.

I will look underneath again tomorrow when it's less cold and check one more time, is there any way to test the spring seats/strut bearings as mentioned above ? I will also take particular attention to the tie rod and see if it's loose, will check for anything loose basically.

Still confusing me as of why it was clunking before and not right now.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
In addition to the above recommendations, you said you were plowing the car through the snow, its possible to build up ice inside the wheel well which can cause all kinds of strange binding issues as compared to when there is not snow and ice keeping things from moving around.

Its also possible to build up enough snow and ice inside the wheel to cause a high speed imbalance as well, so its probably best to diagnose your issues when your car is not all jammed up with frozen water.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In addition to the above recommendations, you said you were plowing the car through the snow, its possible to build up ice inside the wheel well which can cause all kinds of strange binding issues as compared to when there is not snow and ice keeping things from moving around.

Its also possible to build up enough snow and ice inside the wheel to cause a high speed imbalance as well, so its probably best to diagnose your issues when your car is not all jammed up with frozen water.
It's going to get hoter in quebec during the next few days so ill definatly check everything once again at this partituclar day since there will be no ice anymore. What kind of part could get frozen and cause this kind of steering clunk ? It wasnt freezing cold so thats why it's confusing me a bit, -10 max at most...

last time i took the car for a ride tonight it drove fine, letting it sit for the night and i'll see tomorrow, will most likely post an update once i test drive it in the morning.

As for spring seats and bearings, any quick ways to check those without taking suspension appart ?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So i took the R again this morning and when i started the caR i turned the wheel each side full locks, couple clunks happened but this time they were much quieter, i got in reverse and as iam leaving the clunks seems to be gone and i havent heard anything while steering the wheel both sides during the whole travel. Got back home and i gently turn the steering full locks each side while parked very slowly to see if i could even hear anything but there was absolutely no clunks at all.

The car drives normally, didnt feel any steering shake nor pulling.

What is this ****ing clunk and why it always seems to be going away and happen when i first start the car ? This time it goes away as iam leavng the driveway but the other day it was happening for the whole ride and stopped as i got home? It seems to also be the cause of the shaking and pullng, because these 2 other symptoms are always happening when the steering clunks.

Help ?

Sooo confused...

·
Registered
861 Posts
When I have front end issues I get a helper to sit in the drivers seat and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock while I watch the steering components under the front of the car and any loose components typically are very obvious.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
An update about my issue:

I finally had time to inspect my components earlier today and i think i found some pretty obvious results, i got my gf to turn the steering while i was look for the source of the clunk and it seems that it comes from the strut tower area.

I think the problem is the spring seat ?, the spring is not broken or anything and the strut looks fine when i drive. I also looked at the components on the steering and nothing was loose.

I captured a little video to show you guys and would really like to know what you guys think the problem is, thanks in advance !

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Binding strut mount most likely.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

I will change the spring seat and the strut mount just to be sure, will look tomorrow to dedice where I will buy the parts.

Is there any heavy duty upgrades available ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts