SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
301 - 320 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
+1. It depends on my needs. Dealership barely have anyone left with lots of P80 experience. The dealership the did the PPI for me in Kansas City was super proud that they had mechanics that had been in the game for years and years, but that’s the exception not the rule.
This. Jason the servicewriter at Lehman in York PA has been around forever, super good dude to work with.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
I’ve been bouncing around looking for the right people for a while now since my Indy died. I was spoiled because I could walk there and back and he was a Volvo doctor, factory trained and was notoriously affordable.
Since June we have been asked to come back to the office 50%. I’m not happy about it but I made it 15 months. I see nobody. I come in early, shut my door and out. To me for the moment it’s a waste of time.
I have never tried to make them go too far out on a limb, but they're willing to install aftermarket parts & components I bring them (from ipd and FCP) with no complaint. Not just 'Blue Box' stuff, but pretty much anything that doesn't look too sketch 🤨
Bob the service writer has been there forever, and is a really good guy to deal with.
My indy (Larry's Volvo) is some 30 miles away from my house, but only 5 minutes from my office. Really convenient except that, I haven't worked out of my office for 19 months now 😲
I have another indy guy who is a lot closer (in Tacoma), and they have done certain "select" things reasonably and successfully (they engine mounts, driveshaft and Nivos on the WOOF recently). So right now it's case-by-case, as far as who does the work if I need specific work done.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I’ve been bouncing around looking for the right people for a while now since my Indy died. I was spoiled because I could walk there and back and he was a Volvo doctor, factory trained and was notoriously affordable.
Since June we have been asked to come back to the office 50%. I’m not happy about it but I made it 15 months. I see nobody. I come in early, shut my door and out. To me for the moment it’s a waste of time.
L&B....

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
It’s true though. He should have charged more and I kinda wish he had. His place was a filthy mess but he knew where things were and he was organized in his own way. He always told me he did the work to keep busy and didn’t need the money and I believed it. He said he liked to teach people and showed me a lot. I do miss him. Gruff and unapologetic, but a good dude.
something very oxymoronic about that phrase, Z.

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Leaving your house to go work on a computer somewhere is, short of being intentionally wasteful just for the sake of it, just about the biggest waste of time and resources ever in the current world imo. My last office job, the few days I did manage to work from home since it wasn't officially allowed, I got my work done like twice as fast not having anyone bothering me.

What would companies do if people just refused to come in? I think everyone's insolence safety zone has expanded radically in the current job market.

Cartoon Organ Human Organism Line

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Leaving your house to go work on a computer somewhere is just about the biggest waste of time and resources ever in the current world imo.

What would companies do if people just refused to come in? I think everyone's insolence safety zone has expanded radically in the current job market.
It's called collaboration.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Leaving your house to go work on a computer somewhere is, short of being intentionally wasteful just for the sake of it, just about the biggest waste of time and resources ever in the current world imo. My last office job, the few days I did manage to work from home since it wasn't officially allowed, I got my work done like twice as fast not having anyone bothering me.

View attachment 136315
Point taken about waste, but seeing people in person is not the same. Just like a text is not the same as a phone call is not the same as a letter is not the same as a social media post is not the same as a song.

Now leave me alone; Phoebe is on Jimmy. 😘

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
My in person interactions at work generally led to decreased productivity. Like the water cooler trips that take a half hour when people are just hanging out there and you get roped into the party. Or every morning everyone talking about what was on TV last night. Sounded like a party in there at 9am every day. I legit didn't own earphones until I worked at this place.

The best one was the social committee meetings, on which I was my team's rep, where we kept having meetings even after we couldn't do anything because the social budget got cut. It was laughable; total waste of time. I would have rather been able to just get my work done and do something constructive at home with that hour instead.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Point taken about waste, but seeing people in person is not the same. Just like a text is not the same as a phone call is not the same as a letter is not the same as a social media post is not the same as a song.

Now leave me alone; Phoebe is on Jimmy.
Eh, my job cares less about people's safety than their antiquated "butts in chairs" ideas. I'm more productive at home and they know it.

Sidenote, I hope Pheebs smashed something more expensive this time

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Eh, my job cares less about people's safety than their antiquated "butts in chairs" ideas. I'm more productive at home and they know it.

Sidenote, I hope Pheebs smashed something more expensive this time
Eh? I guess I’m old. I think people think they’re more productive at home but are actually easily distractible by life. Kids, pets, gift shopping online. Yeah, yeah, I know Jared is the exception, but he’s the exception!

She didn’t smash anything, but space is cool. 🚀🪐👽

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Eh? I guess I’m old. I think people think they’re more productive at home but are actually easily distractible by life. Kids, pets, gift shopping online.
I was more productive because I was motivated to hit my daily goal so I could be done with it and go live my own life. I was done in about 4 hours.

Yeah, yeah, I know Jared is the exception, but he’s the exception!
ca8e2652302ff9361de3c9400e8c8948.png

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Eh? I guess I’m old. I think people think they’re more productive at home but are actually easily distractible by life. Kids, pets, gift shopping online. Yeah, yeah, I know Jared is the exception, but he’s the exception!

She didn’t smash anything, but space is cool. 🪐
Common misconception! My team has been far more productive working remote than on site, as is the case with lots of types of mostly computer based work. It's also a huge boon to employee morale, the overarching organization is considering making it more permanent since no loss of productivity was recorded and all their costs were lower. It's just my immediate leadership that subscribes to the butts in chairs for 8 hours myth

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I have never tried to make them go too far out on a limb, but they're willing to install aftermarket parts & components I bring them (from ipd and FCP) with no complaint. Not just 'Blue Box' stuff, but pretty much anything that doesn't look too sketch
Bob the service writer has been there forever, and is a really good guy to deal with.
My indy (Larry's Volvo) is some 30 miles away from my house, but only 5 minutes from my office. Really convenient except that, I haven't worked out of my office for 19 months now
I have another indy guy who is a lot closer (in Tacoma), and they have done certain "select" things reasonably and successfully (they engine mounts, driveshaft and Nivos on the WOOF recently). So right now it's case-by-case, as far as who does the work if I need specific work done.
Got it.
My only gripe with Tacoma (15 minutes from home) is they double ordered (& charged) me for a spare key (I now have 3) and told me polestar was "several thousand dollars".
But, Bob was super excited about the 164 when I brought it in.

Anyhoot.
For what it's worth, I can say the guys at Performance Automotive in Renton are solid. 2 ex Bellevue Volvo guys, one writer and one master tech.
So far they've done the head job on my overheated/sold 2011 T6, and have also done the angle gear seal on my 14 almong with a few other little things.
Both for substantially less than any dealer.

Thinking about swinging by to say hi to them as I'll be hitting my Bellevue shop tomorrow for work (like my 7th time into an office in 18 months)

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
It’s true though. He should have charged more and I kinda wish he had. His place was a filthy mess but he knew where things were and he was organized in his own way. He always told me he did the work to keep busy and didn’t need the money and I believed it. He said he liked to teach people and showed me a lot. I do miss him. Gruff and unapologetic, but a good dude.
It's hard to find those places. It's almost like the little run down restaurant with a bunch of cars parked out front. The building doesn't look like much but the food must be good otherwise there wouldn't be any cars there!

I'm mixed about working from home. I love having the 2 hours back that I used to commute daily as well as the gas/wear and tear savings, no more Starbucks, no lunches out, but do miss hanging out with my co-workers. I've put maybe 5k miles on the XC70 that I've owned for a year and a half. The collaboration thing is probably more important in some work than others.

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I too have mixed feelings about working from home. Yes, less interruptions, but less real-time collaboration. Sometimes, you just need draw things out on a whiteboard as a group. Back and forth PowerPoints takes too long. I definitely feel less connected at times.

But, since we've gone to four 10 hr days, being at home has given me back 30-40 minutes of commuting time each day. I'm much more protective of "my time" working from home. At the end of the day/week, I'm done. I don't get online to check emails or whatever during "my time". It's far too easy to have work eat away at your personal time working from home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,607 Posts
Not much in the way of mixed feelings. I'm a hermit. LOL. I like what I like, and it's tough to change my mind.
Miss the commute? No. Miss time with the car? Yes. Miss the people? Not really - I talk to them all day long by MSTeams chat, cell, email.
I do think my situation is different and I'm starting to miss the people but all last year plus, we had all four of us living under the same roof with the new dog. Now, it's just my wife and I and the pup.
It was nice to hear people around, get laundry done during a meeting where I am listening/participating but not presenting. Yesterday for instance, I watered the back lawn to send the fertilizer into the soil during a lunch call.
We have an outdoor gathering today after work (I'm 50% in office and out, week to week)- it will be interesting to see who shows up and what the conversation is. I'm in for one beer and some snacks and I'm out.
I too have mixed feelings about working from home. Yes, less interruptions, but less real-time collaboration. Sometimes, you just need draw things out on a whiteboard as a group. Back and forth PowerPoints takes too long. I definitely feel less connected at times.

But, since we've gone to four 10 hr days, being at home has given me back 30-40 minutes of commuting time each day. I'm much more protective of "my time" working from home. At the end of the day/week, I'm done. I don't get online to check emails or whatever during "my time". It's far too easy to have work eat away at your personal time working from home.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
It's hard to find those places. It's almost like the little run down restaurant with a bunch of cars parked out front. The building doesn't look like much but the food must be good otherwise there wouldn't be any cars there!

I'm mixed about working from home. I love having the 2 hours back that I used to commute daily as well as the gas/wear and tear savings, no more Starbucks, no lunches out, but do miss hanging out with my co-workers. I've put maybe 5k miles on the XC70 that I've owned for a year and a half. The collaboration thing is probably more important in some work than others.

301 - 320 of 599 Posts