SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

October in Sweden.

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  asja 
#1 ·
We're picking up a C70 on October 9. Can someone tell me about Sweden and Norway at that time? I'd expect it might be rainy and cold, but how bad? My spouse doesn't want to go to Norway because of the time of year.

#2 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (asja)

asja.....

October in Sweden is fine! Maybe a little cool and rainy...but not bad. It will be similar to late fall in New England or early winter where you are. Pack a few sweaters and some light rain gear...and enjoy!!!!
Last time I went to Gothenburg..it was february! Now THAT is cold! Know what?? I STILL had a good time http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#3 ·

I picked up my car last year in Goteborg on Sept 27th and left on October 24th. We were all over Europe, but I did spend the first 3 days in Sweden and the last 4 days in Stockholm...the very last day back in Goteborg.

It was fine. No ran. Colder than #@$% on the last few nights, but I'm from Southern California. You would be fine with the weather around that part of the year.

#4 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (universityvolvoOSD)

I love cold weather; I spent most of my life in cold rainy climates. But my spouse is saying that since it "might" be cold and rainy in October, we should just go visit the in-laws in Germany instead of going to Norway. We went to see them twice last year, so I'm using every excuse I can to avoid going there again. However, to maintain marital harmony, I'll probably have to give in.

I wanted to go to Sweden in January and drive up to that Ice Hotel! See some reindeer! Drink vodka in ice glasses! http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

#6 ·

Quote, originally posted by asja »
Sounds like you had a good time. Where do you drive in one month?

Ready?????

-Goteborg
-Malmo
-Copenhagen
-Munich, Oktoberfest(round trip on SAS)
-Amsterdam (via denmark, germany, netherlands)
-Brussels, Belguim (Six Flags Theme Park)
-France ( EuroDisney)
-Luxiumburg
-Germany ( raced the car on the Nurburgring )
-Paris ( back to tour the city )
-St. Maritz (via Germany, Austria, Switzerland)
-Zermatt & the Matterhorn (via glacier train)
-Parma, Italy
-Rome Italy
-Italian/French Riviera
-Nice, France
-Stockholm (flight out of Nice after dropping the car off)
-Gotoborg (via the speed train)

I don't think anyone can top that one.

Story here:

#8 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (bigtomhammer)

The only problem that I see is that you can't put the top down on the C70.

Oh c'mon Tom! where's your sense of adventure and fun?
SURE they can put the top down! That's what the heat and the heated seats are for! I take my "ragtop" out every New Years day...regardless of temp...just to justify to myself why I still keep it!
A 91 with 93k miles.

#10 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (bigtomhammer)

Heated seats! Sure I'll put the top down, we have to test it. Plus, the demo we drove, the airflow went right overhead, it didn't create backdrafts and wasn't as windy as other convertibles. Heated seats, a sweater, gloves and good to go! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
The only problem that I see is that you can't put the top down on the C70.

Oh c'mon Tom! where's your sense of adventure and fun?
SURE they can put the top down! That's what the heat and the heated seats are for! I take my "ragtop" out every New Years day...regardless of temp...just to justify to myself why I still keep it!
A 91 with 93k miles.
DITTO!!
We take the Boxster out in the winter with the top down, heated seats on. It's GREAT!

#13 ·

Did you have a favorite place?

Zermatt and Stockholm. The Glacier Train is awesome. It's about a days ride from St. Maritz to Zermatt, but it's worth every penny. You don't find kindness anywhere else like you do in Switzerland and the Scandanvian Countries.

Here is the link for the Glacier Express:
http://www.glacierexpress.ch/

The big favorite was the Ring, but you need to be picking up the right car for that experience.

#14 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (KillerB)

The big favorite was the Ring, but you need to be picking up the right car for that experience.

Can you say RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!?
You do know there is a Ring Trip planned? That would be a great place to learn how to handle an R...the right way!
One of my R customers who went to the WC just got back. Said he got his V70R to 152mph on the autobahn!.......Now THAT is fun!

#15 ·

We're picking up a C70 on October 9. Can someone tell me about Sweden and Norway at that time? I'd expect it might be rainy and cold, but how bad? My spouse doesn't want to go to Norway because of the time of year.

Not a problem at all, esp. in early October. Average temp in Oslo is about 55 or so in early Oct. Trust me you'll be fine. You could see snow in high mountain passes, but otherwise October is very pleasant in Norway. You have to remember Norway is warmed by the Gulf Stream which keeps the country a lot milder than other cities as far north (such as Anchorage).

#16 ·

Quote, originally posted by universityvolvoOSD »
That would be a great place to learn how to handle an R...the right way!
One of my R customers who went to the WC just got back. Said he got his V70R to 152mph on the autobahn!.......Now THAT is fun!

It's a very scary place to learn about the R if you have no track experience or you haven't done your homework and practice the track on the Playstation.

I think I saw about 15 cars totalled the day I went. 2 people killed. I think I almost had to visit the cleaners after recovering from a spin...and I have lots of track experience. You really need to keep the speed down for the inexperience drivers or you'll never see your car again.

I did see the Ring trip...but unfortunitly I got to much aftermarket parts dumped in the R I got and I'm having too much fun. Hope they do this again in a few years when I cycle the car in.

and yes...I do agree that would make you a better driver doing a day at the Ring

#17 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (KillerB)

KillerB,

I read through your links and photos, what a good travel summary. Great photos. It looks like you had a great time. I liked the Great Danes in Denmark, too. I didn't drive when I was in Rome, but I can believe your description; I'd never want to drive there, those people do not follow any rules. We went to Stockholm last year, and I loved it too. It is one of the most beautiful cities I have seen. I'd love to go back, but I dont think we'll make it this time; it's a bit out of the way. I haven't been to the Matterhorn, but I've been to other parts of the Alps, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Kitzbuehl, and a few place in-between, and they are all incredibly beautiful.

Nice car too!

#18 ·
Re: October in Sweden. (flybynight)

Thanks for the info. I'd love to go to Norway, but this time we only have a week and I think we're going to Germany to visit in-laws. We have a thought of buying a new wagon in 2-3 years and then driving through Norway in the summer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.