SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two items are on the calendar for October:

Monthly meeting will be held on Saturday October 10 in the morning. Time and place are TDB, pending confirmation, so we'll get back as soon as we have it nailed down.
Fall drive and Route 66 tour will be held Saturday October 24, with a 10:30am departure from the St. Louis Bread Co., Brentwood Blvd and Highway 40. We will drive to Weezy's for lunch (a R66 institution in Hamil ... rumored to be even better than the Cozy Dog ... if that's possible). From there, we will proceed to Country Classic Cars near Staunton. Depending on everyone's interest, we may drop by Henry's Rabbit Ranch too.
Please keep these dates open on your calendar. We'll get back to you with more details shortly.

Gateway VCOA Chapter
Official Chapter Web Site: www.tinyurl.com/gatewayvcoa

2015 Schedule of Events:

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Our October meeting will actually consist of a foray through the junkyards of St. Louis looking for parts or just looking. Mark Bylsma will lead the group. Here are the details from Mark:
Start at Westport Stl Bread Co @ 9:15 grab a coffee and head out at 9:30. If more convenient, you can meet us at the first stop (or at any of the yards).

First stop at Taylor's on the Rock Rd in Wellston. (6898 Saint Charles Rock Road St. Louis, MO 63133)
Next we'll head to Riverside on Hall St. (155 Humboldt Avenue St. Louis, MO 63147)

Next stop is Pick n Pull around 12:00 or play it by ear. (7557 Hall Street St. Louis, MO 63147 US)
Then Head to Speedway Salvage in Granite city.(520 Madison Road East St. Louis, IL 62201)

If one plans to buy parts then bring your basic tools, gloves and hand sanitizer. I don't recommend wearing anything but jeans and a sweat shirt. Don't bring nice Cameras or your Rolex. -I've never had a problem but then again I have never wore my Rolex:) Pick n Pull is the only yard that excepts plastic. The rest are cash only and make sure to get your price before you try to purchase. Pick n Pull is also the only yard that follows a standard price list

The yards are loaded with 850's and bodies of the sort. The next most popular are 960's then 940's followed by 740's then even fewer are the 240's.
I have ran across 140's 160's and even a few PV's. The S80's 60's and 40's (and corresponding wagons) are starting to show up but typically get picked over quick.

Gateway VCOA Chapter

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
NEW OPPORTUNITY:
Our own Michael Remmert has volunteered to lead a group to Waynesville this weekend (Oct 17th) via Route 66 to soak up the activities at their Route 66 Fest. Details about the festival can be found on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Route66FestOTS#!/Route66FestOTS/timeline.
Let us know if you are interested and we'll shoot you the logistics. Looks like the weather will be perfect for a nice drive through the hills of Missouri!

As a secondary reminder, our annual Fall Color tour will take place the following weekend (Oct 24th). We'll tour the Mother Road leading to Staunton, IL to take in Country Classic Cars (countryclassiccars.com), stopping for lunch at Weezy's in Hamil, IL for lunch.

Gateway VCOA Chapter

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We did not have enough interest shown in doing the drive tomorrow (October 17), so it will not occur.

Our Route 66 drive to Illinois on October 24 is still on. We have 10 cars so far participating in that drive.

Hope to see many of you on the 24th!

Doug Morrell

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Classic Country Cars closes at 3pm Saturday. To ensure we have enough time there to view the inventory, we need to move up our departure time to 10AM. I hope this doesn't present an inconvenience.

Here is the plan:

Saturday, October 24, 10:00 AM depart parking lot of St. Louis Bread Co. in Brentwood (Brentwood Blvd. south of US-40). Please arrive a few minutes ahead of time for pre-drive instructions.
10:20 AM arrive Chain of Rocks Bridge for a quick look (~15 minutes).
Continue on Illinois portions of Route 66 to Hamel, IL.
11:45 AM arrive at Weezy's Cafe in Hamel, IL. Lunch.
1:00 PM depart Weezy's Cafe
1:15 PM arrive at Classic Country Cars.
If you have a conflict with the earlier starting time, you may proceed on your own directly to meet us at Chain of Rocks Bridge or at Weezy's. Please let me know if that is your plan.

This drive will occur rain or shine. Rain is 60% chance right now.

We need a head count to reserve table space at Weezy's. If you have already RSVP'd for this ride, just let me know if you will have additional persons, otherwise we'll assume "1" for you. If you have not RSVD'd and will attend, please do so soon.

Thank you for your flexibility!

Doug Morrell

Gateway VCOA Chapter

2015 Schedule of Events:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts