SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. T5:<BR><B>Does using different octane fuel affect the engine?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It will not damage the engine as the ECU will retard the timing and ignition sequence in order to avoid pinging which can damage the engine.<P>But your gas mileage will suffer and performance will be (albeit slightly) affected.<P>In my opinion, it is not worth it. Use premium.<P>Yannis<P>

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I use 94 usually but on my trip this time, I believe they only have 93 there so I don't know if it'll affect my car.<P>

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
You will be perfectly fine between 94 and 93 octane, so don't worry. The only problem that may occur is the fact that octane ratings of gasoline marked "premium" or "regular" is not consistent across the country.<P>One state may require a minimum octane rating of 92 for all premium gasoline, while another may allow 90 octane to be called premium. To make sure you know what you’re buying, check the octane rating on the yellow sticker on the gas pump instead of relying on the "premium" or "regular", names.<P>-Drew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts