SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my cars over the last 20 years required premium, so I have gotten into the habit of putting premium (91 or 93) in my V8. Now that there is a huge price difference, I am questioning the benefit of using premium. Even if I get better mileage from the computer running leaner or more spark advance on higher octane, it surely could not compensate for the $0.80 surcharge for premium. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
^true. Make certain you read the manual and it's only a recommendation and not a minimum requirement to run premium.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I found that my V8 does ping a little on 87, which bothers me, so I try to stick with 89 or 91. The price difference is not that much here in California. But 87 won't hurt it, and MPG comes in around the same as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you use lower octane fuel, the timing will be retarded, preventing pinging or detonation, resulting in lower horsepower.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's worth it. When I switched to premium w/ my 3.2, I got about 60+ more miles per tank. When I did the math, buying premium less often was cheaper than buying regular more often.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It's worth it. When I switched to premium w/ my 3.2, I got about 60+ more miles per tank. When I did the math, buying premium less often was cheaper than buying regular more often.
+1

This also became a huge factor over the summer while towing on vacation where range became critical as we were traveling off the beaten path. Whenever I had the chance I bought premium but whenever the only option was 87, the engine ran fine but MPGs took a 25-30% hit dramatically impacting range so we would stop at every gas station which were anywhere between 100km to 380km apart. Thankfully we carried extra fuel (in 2 20L jerry cans) which we ended up using a few times during the trip.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting discussion.

If I am reading the owner's manual correctly, it calls for AKI 87 / RON 91, which I believe is "regular". My understanding is that AKI is the same as "(R+M)/2" which is what the pumps in my area are labeled. I would not expect pinging on regular given what is in the manual.

Those of you getting improved MPG on premium, is the premium "100% gasoline, 0% ethanol"? Some stations in WI sell a 91 fuel that is 100% gasoline. I fill up on this when I can as it should give improved MPG due to lack of ethanol.

I have noticed drops in MPG in the winter here in IL. I have read there is a "winter blend" for EPA reasons which produces lower MPG. Not sure if this is fact or fiction.

Regarding price difference of Octane grades in my area: Regular: $2.35, Premium: $3.15. This is a 34% increase in cost!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I bought mine about 2 months ago since then I have gone about 5000mi and have tried both 87 and 93, havent noticed any difference at all neither in power nor pinging...
Now on a hot summer day I will for sure use 93 but with cold dense air in the winter I dont see a good enough reason to spend the extra money, however one other thing you can do is say fill up 20gal with 87, then once you are down to 7-10gal past half tank fill up with 93 and rotate so you will always have a higher then 87 in the tank.

Obviously if you notice a sever drop in Fuel Economy or loss in power i would go with 93 but the Owners Manual does call for minimum of 87 and recommended 91. Go with the mix you will be at about octane of 90 which should be all good news for the motor.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I get 2mpg better with super, and the engine runs smoother. I don't know if it's worth it, but I work from home and don't drive all that often so I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
@V50R: Two months likely isn't a long enough time to actually notice. I had used 87 for about a year or two before I switched, never went back.

@ChicagoT5: No difference if there's ethanol in it or not. While I prefer 100% gasoline, I use both with the same results. Also, winter blend is a real thing, though I haven't noticed a drop in MPG. That said, the effects of winter blend might depend on how your area's gasoline supplier does the actual blending.

Personally, I'd run premium even if it was more expensive – then again, I'm a stickler for factory specs, sizes, etc. I just like it all to work as designed/intended. :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm in long Island and have lost 1mpg but I don't know if it's weather or gas related. I always fill up at the same station

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I agree on the 91 use. I have been running it in my 3.2 since I got it (about three years) and when I have no choice if a stations out of premium I do notice a huge drop in performance and some in mileage. Volvo recommends the use of the higher octane (at least in the 2008 manual).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts