SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so with summer arriving and in need of a cargo box, after much deliberation I pulled the trigger on the matching Ocean Race cargo box. I found the best price online at Courtesy Volvo in Scottsdale and used a 30%/$200 Volvo coupon for a net cost of $1900 including shipping and no out of state tax (List is $2700 plus tax). Still ridiculously expensive given that the almost identical regular Volvo designed cargo box lists for half the price. That said, now that I have it I don't regret it.

So a quick review for the few other OR owners who might be contemplating it (though much of this applies to the regular volvo designed roof box as well):

1. It came via FedEx and the cardboard box was beaten up but the cargo box is covered in peel off film and then in a thick plastic bag. Ends of the cardboard had extra cardboard and there was some padding to protect the handles on either side. After removing packaging and film it was in pristine condition.

2. As expected, and really the only reason why one would get it, it looks fantastic on the V90CC. The proportions are a much better fit than any other (white) cargo box out there and the paint is Crystal white with the kaolin grey trim. The keys are OR orange as is the mesh net cover.

3. It's really well made. Better than other yakima/Thule boxes I have owned. The underside of the top cover has a lattice like thick injection moulded layer which keeps it rigid (at the loss of some volume?) and the bottom has thick long ridges inlaid with a carpet like felt. The load carrier clamps are super heavy duty and clamp on to the load carrier bars in a very satisfying manner. The latch/locking mechanism is pretty solid too.

4. Functionally, it's what one would expect - it opens from both sides etc. But there are some nice extras - an auto light sensitive light inside the top cover, 6 clips for the included orange mesh net cover, and integrated straps for securing heavy items. Super long and wide. Only down side might the low volume height given the extra support structures top and bottom. That said, I was able to load all of my camping gear that I had hoped for.

5. Given its style and base layer shape it seems likely that the Volvo designed cargo box was outsourced to Packline cargo boxes in Sweden http://www.packline.ee/en/index.php. Compared to the regular Volvo cargo box, the differences are the crystal white paint, colors, and the mesh net. The other odd difference is the specified lower volume (with otherwise identical dimensions) - not sure if this is due to the lattice structure under lid or not ...

6. Initial 90 minute highway drive with the loaded box and loaded rear cargo resulted in 27.5 mpg (says VOC app). So there is a penalty of a few mpg ...

Overall, the cost is hard to justify in and of itself but it's a very very well made cargo box that really completes the Ocean Race as a package. If you have an OR and plan on getting a cargo box then go for it if you can get a tolerable price ...

For another (positive) take, see this recent Jalopnik review of the Ocean Race and the OR cargo box ... https://jalopnik.com/the-volvo-v90-cross-country-has-orange-seatbelts-and-a-1832872554.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
That would look good on any crystal white V90. I think it's unseemly of Volvo to charge double for that than what they do for the black version, even though I imagine their cost of producing the black one is lower due to production volume differences and economies of scale.

FWIW, you look much younger peering through the window in the first picture than you do in the third. Must be the angle of the sun.

·
Registered
444 Posts
That would look good on any crystal white V90. I think it's unseemly of Volvo to charge double for that than what they do for the black version, even though I imagine their cost of producing the black one is lower due to production volume differences and economies of scale.

FWIW, you look much younger peering through the window in the first picture than you do in the third. Must be the angle of the sun.
Yes. He does look younger in the first pic. The glass probably is helping cut down on the aging sun rays. Lol

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes. He does look younger in the first pic. The glass probably is helping cut down on the aging sun rays. Lol
Haha. In fact neither is me. One is my son and the other my uncle 😉

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can skis fit and would they flop around or is there a way to secure them inside?
I would think most definitely - it's 225 cm long, far longer than my 184's. Haven't used them yet but there are straps front and rear for tying down items.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts