SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. So I have an '09 2.5 XC90, done 77k km, so still quite the spring chicken.

I've noticed that at really low speeds, if I go over bumps when turning, or if I'm turning the wheel while stationary, there is a juddering that gets transmitted (both vibration and noise) through the steering wheel. Is that something that is normal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi everyone. So I have an '09 2.5 XC90, done 77k km, so still quite the spring chicken.

I've noticed that at really low speeds, if I go over bumps when turning, or if I'm turning the wheel while stationary, there is a juddering that gets transmitted (both vibration and noise) through the steering wheel. Is that something that is normal?
I know what you are speaking of, but I never really got to the bottom of it, though I have my suspicions. I asked the forum a few years ago, but I don't think I got a reply. Since the car was under warranty at the time, the dealer took a look, but couldn't recreate the shutter, so they didn't fix anything.

I initially changed my inner an outer tie rods, but that didn't help. I just kind of lived with it and did nothing else. Though I suspect the lower control arms, ball joint, sub frame bushings or struts may be the culprit. I did just change my struts, along with the strut seat & mount; that seemed to help quite a bit, as I haven't felt that shutter since. I will be replacing the lower control arms and ball joints, that should refresh the whole front.

The XC90 is really heavy, so don't be surprised that suspensions parts need replacing, even with low miles on the car.

·
Registered
699 Posts

I get it on occasion, but only notice when doing slow speed parking maneuvers or stationary. Have had it for a long time, like 40k miles

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I’ve had this in both of the XCs I’ve owned. Low speed turns especially over uneven terrains.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
My '09 XC90 had a bump-bump-bump shudder on a hard right turn out of the driveway when cold. Figured it was a CV joint fault and replaced the right axle. That solved the problem, and then I damaged the boot on the new axle months later doing something else, so popped the old axle back in, The bumpity shudder returned under the same conditions. I've fixed the CV joint boot issue on the new one, so it's going back in.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Have you always had this experience with the car or is it something more recent? And if recent to any extent, was it less then and now more or did it just start doing it out of the blue?

That you suggest the vibration and sound as noted when turning the wheel while stationary is interesting. I'm probably leaning towards pump or hose or rack but maybe check the power steering fluid level first, see where you're at. This is a 5-cylinder, Bosch pump I think. Which reminds me to ask, you have any of the car fluids besides oil and brake swapped out on this car?

I may be way off base on this, but I don't know where else the "juddering" on this car under the circumstance you describe would come from other than as feedback from the servo system.

More detail on your issue might help and please feel free to prove me wrong. I'm just guessing from your brief description.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve noticed it since I got the car about a year ago. It’s really when the tyres are rubbing against a smooth surface like when you turn the wheel when stationary... I’m just surprised at how much of that shaking is transmitted through the wheel.

I changed the power steering fluid (Which was quite brown and burnt smelling). I thought there was initially and improvement but it hasn’t really gone away. I don’t think it’s suspension because I don’t have any of the play or noises associated with that. The front shocks are definitely good. Maybe the servo just generates that kind of feedback?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I’ve asked both the dealer and an external Mechanic. They either couldn’t replicate it or said it was normal. As long as it doesn’t mean my rack is going to die, I’m cool with it though

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think it's the bypass pressure relief valve inside the pump that's giving you the juddering feedback with the corresponding "sound". If it gets worse with less pressure on the steering wheel then you might consider replacing the pump.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
And just so I close this out in my head, with what fluid did you replace when you did the replacement?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know for sure because I did it at a workshop. All i know is that it wasn't original Volvo powersteering fluid, and it was red in colour.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Ouch. There's maybe your answer, it's supposed to be green.

Rather than go find the old post, see this link for what the correct fluid looks like- https://goo.gl/photos/ZeLZvr2cCu9X3Jmp9

Do a search on this forum for "CHF", see what stories pop up. Heck, expand the search to the whole site and you'll see more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thing is, the problem was there before I changed the fluid, and has not gotten worse since the change.

Another change to CHF will be quite cheap, so I might try it if I notice the issue getting worse I suppose.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I don't know what to tell you then, maybe it was never that bad and it was your perception of the feedback. My 5 cylinder does not do this to any real degree but I have a replacement pump in it since a few years. It does when I take the wheel to lock and hold it and it does if I crank the car hard in a wet parking space.

Last alignment?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm maybe its normal then... I got an alignment done soon after i bought it and that didn't solve it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts