SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**Resolved**

So my car seems to have developed a new issue recently. When under heavy load at low to mid RPM the car will shudder pretty violently. It never does it in normal to semi aggressive driving and never does it if I semi gradually apply throttle even if I go WOT & go into high boost.

I also cannot replicate the issue at the end of my hour plus commute. No recent change except I went back to a stock TCV to smooth out the boost a bit. I also don't get a CEL but I back off the throttle as soo as the shuddering starts

I am thinking coil as I have heard that the are likely to fail when cold and even though the water temp is where it should be under hood temps may not have reached their full operating temp. but would like to bounce that theory off of the forum to see if anyone has other ideas

Car is an 04 MT fully built with Darton sleeves, Enem cams Wiseco pistons & Oki Data plasma direct coil packs (plus FMIC water meth injection etc. etc....) and am running the same autotech tune for about 3 years with no issues.

Does anyone disagree with my current theory that one of my rather expensive Oki Data coil packs is the likely culprit.

I do have VIDA but have not had a chance to scan the car yet and don't know if it will tell me much since I haven't thrown a CEL yet

TIA for any alternative theories

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
check your spark plugs too. i just replaced mine today and my acceleration feels so much smoother through out the entire power band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
If the plugs are still under 30 thou, new plugs may get rid of the stutter but its still a sign if you do have a coil going bad. Cold weather is usually when they like to show their weakness.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I do have the same plasma coils for 120.000km and they are OK. And my buddy who owns a weird turbo subaru installed them 3 years ago and made on them more than 100.000km super heavy driving. And they are OK. I believe yours are OK too, BTW have you checked gap on your plugs?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was plugs, one had a gap well north of .030, swapped them out and everything is fine

I would like to take a moment to vent on what a PIA the v-band is on MY 04's, seems like every other time I remove it, it takes me two tries to get everything back together correctly.........

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
glad you figured it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
It was plugs, one had a gap well north of .030, swapped them out and everything is fine

I would like to take a moment to vent on what a PIA the v-band is on MY 04's, seems like every other time I remove it, it takes me two tries to get everything back together correctly.........
Good thing it was the plugs, those Oki Data coils are super expensive each, would be damn unlucky if one of them fails. Is there warranty on those?

Yep, the 04 V-Band is really tough to put back on, it needs to be like 100% perfect angle, and loosened all the way. I back out the bolt all the way so the V-Band comes off with it, so when I put it back on i tug at the bolt and the actual pipe so that it goes in completely snug before tightening again. It is quite a PITA to work with the little room you have back there.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I was happy it did not turn out to be a coil, I am not even sure I could buy just one. I am sure they had a warranty but I have had them for about 4 years now so it would have expired a long time ago

1 - 9 of 9 Posts