SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received my new OBX-R exhaust system for the XC.
Ebay purchase - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBX-Catb...ccessories&hash=item231dfb9229#ht_2457wt_1165

box got here in 1 week! (super fast)

The box weighs 23.7kg / 50lb

Opening the box I am impressed with the amount of packaging. Very decent!

Inspecting everything - I noticed no instruction sheet but really was not needed.

Everything connects and bolts up fine. Welds look .. ok.

Will install onto the car over the weekend.
Sound clips will be coming.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Looks sharp - can't wait to hear it installed.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This looks very much alike the BSR (aka Simons) exhaust that I have on my VR.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
too much muffler

Sent from my Military Air Portable
Negative, too much resonator. Muffler looks just like my TME and similar to the EST.

·
Registered
337 Posts
wow didn't even notice that obx had a turbo-back exhaust system.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Negative, too much resonator. Muffler looks just like my TME and similar to the EST.
is the tme muffler no longer box shaped?

·
Registered
234 Posts

I have an OBX installed..the resonator is actually shorter on the OBX than the OEM one...

A side note for Ocean Racer: I would advise on taking it to a muffler shop to have it installed because I installed mine on my own and it was all whacked out. The claps are completely worthless because they dont bind the pipes well. I pretty much had to get all three pieces welded at shop, not only that but they also had to trim the 2 straight pipes by like 2 inches because it didnt seem fit right by simply bolting it on all together....but at the end it finally came out right...the sound is perfect, you do hear a slight change in the tone of the car and cabin noise is still unoticeable and thats whith stock DP...i still need to get the OBX DP...but anyways, good luck and let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Nice and shiny, looks nice.

Any reason why you didn't go the custom route?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Nice and shiny, looks nice.

Any reason why you didn't go the custom route?
For me I got a $400 quote for a crush bend stainless catback, muffler and resonator included. I figured the mandrel bent OBX route would get me better gains. While the dual 2.0" pipes would give me better ground clearance than a single 3.0" pipe.

Since the obx was only $405 shipped I figured that if I installed it myself it would be a good alternative.

There really aren't any good local exhaust shops so my custom option was limited.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
^^ Ya but I hate OBX being made in China, its cheap crap in my book.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
^^ Ya but I hate OBX being made in China, its cheap crap in my book.
Believe me I agree, but i figure that if this exhaust doesn't last more than a couple of years then I can just go custom for $400 and still have it be cheaper than most other aftermarket exhausts.

And if it does last a long time then it's a win-win.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
If you do take it too a shop to get it installed pay the extra $50-$60 and have the res removed and a straight pipe installed.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
dear god those welds are horrible

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
cheapest quote was $1450 for same thing made locally.

Remember anything in Australia costs 3x anywhere else.
Gotcha.

Well at least you have one of the cutest animals in existence, the kuala bear, I love those guys.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts