SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, my problem is pretty much what is says above. I got a cheap OBD2 bluetooth reader to see any fault codes my car may have or even see some real time info but although the device powers on and connects to my phone, it cannot connect to my car/ecu. (s40 2.0d)
The software I'm using is the Torque app for android &
The device im using is : LUJII® Mini OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Scanner- Android Torque Auto Scan Tool OBD-II Engine Fault Diagnostic Code Tester (Mini Bluetooth) which can be found on amazon and some other places.

So if anyone has any information on why it can't connect or even how to get it to work that'd be great! Thanks!

Edit: just found a CD that came with it so will try all the different programs and stuff on that before i give up! Also, if it helps when i plugged it in with the engine off it turned the immobilzer on until i unplugged it again...so are Volvos a bit picky when it comes to these types of devices?

·
Registered
135 Posts
These unit usually looks for a connection in the first 60 or 30 seconds so you have to be quick. Now if I suppose your adapter is based on the ELM327 chip, one of the most compatible program and probably ugliest is scantool.net which you can get at http://sourceforge.net/projects/scantool/

If you want an app for your phone, I suggest searching "ELM327" on your app store.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Don't use torque use dashcommnd has tons of pids and custom options and is super easy to use.

As for the immobilized being turned on there is no way that should be an issue from the elm unit at least not from my experience I don't think I've ever heard of someone having that problem.

But! You have a diesel right so I wonder if in there lies the problem, does that app allow you to enter the engine type ?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you try to connect to it with key in pos II? Mine does power on while in pos I but does not connect to ECU either. While I have different model of scanner, it is also ebay cheap-o one and using Torque Pro as well. Reads stuff just fine.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I wouldn't use it then. if it's physically affecting your car there's something seriously wrong there's no reason for it to throw any codes or stall just by running something in the OBD2 slot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Jon, I think I caused that immobilizer actually thinking about it... I normally use the button locks on the door to lock the car if im sat in a carpark or something but I used the key today and I think thats what triggered the alarm/immobilizer.

Regarding the issue with connection. I put the key in pos 2 (I'm hesitant to leave it there too long as it's the diesel and the glowplugs run in that position and I don't want them on for 10 minutes non stop), then I plug the device in to the port, then it comes up on my phones bluetooth selection screen and when i tried pairing it with the codes 0000 or 6789 it said pin incorrect and with 1234 it just sat there saying pairing.
So, I tried leaving the bluetooth screen with it saying pairing and on the dashcommand program it said it found the elm interface and connected to it but then there was a protocol error....and 1 time out of 15 an interface communication error.
All in all, I'm a bit stumped and no matter what combination of key position or even with the car running, leaving the device plugged in or not or leaving it paired or not resulted in the same thing..... error after error. (On the torque app it says failed to detect ecu or something then "are you sure the ignition was on?" which it was...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated but I think im a tad stuck...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Place the elm device into the OBD2 port before you even put in the key, the device should already be plugged into your car so it runs every protocol that the ECU is running thru.

Position I should be enough to see the lights turn on on the device( mine cycle thru red for a few seconds then yellow and green.)

After that you should be able to turn over your car and see it running on your device but then again there are several combinations of sensors, the app your using and even the device your using that could be messing up, these are optimized for cellular phones. (I'm using dashcommand on iOS.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much for your detailed response!
I will use my old retired iphone 4s and see if it all works on an iOS device tomorrow morning :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts