SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and girls,

I've got a cheap China obd2 dangle and I'm finding it's not providing info that well to the different software packages.

The main one I want to hook it up to is Harry's lap timer grand prix edition, I'm not sure if it's to do with the Volvo canbus or the dongle being crap.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
My $8 ELM327 works fine. Some parameters dont update very fast but I checked via some different software and it looks like the OBDII for some values like engine temp get fed to the obdii at like 1Hz. Used it on many different apps. Thr only issue I have is initial start up and pin entry.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll try my ELM327 wifi version w/Harry's on the way home....

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What info are you missing? I'm using a wifi dongle from Amazon and the DashCommand app and have a pretty big selection of supported PIDs.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a cheap bt odb2 and use it with torque on my phone. I have no issues. You obviously won't get the volvo specific codes or module interaction. The icarsoft can do that though.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got some stats using torque, but I can't get anything via Harry's lap timer.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Most of these dongles are optimized for 4g devices FYI, just in case your using an iPod or tablet. It will appear choppy on none 4g devices.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Samsung Galaxy s5 is the phone I'm using with it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's the dongle, I tried it in my wife's car and with 10 different obd2 software apps and it didn't work. So I ripped it apart like anyone would and noticed a lot of pins didn't have solider on them.

I might try soldering them up and see what happens or just order a new one.

If anyone is interested here is what the guts look like:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have a few mini 5 dollar transparent blue ebay ones and one of the larger black ones I bought from China like 8 years ago and they both work fine. I would just order another one.. They're so cheap now. But I'd also solder the old one lol.. We have one in every car. You never know.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'm about to order a new one now. I wanted it working for a track day on the 2nd so I'll need to see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yeah I'm about to order a new one now. I wanted it working for a track day on the 2nd so I'll need to see what I can do.

Do you have amazon prime? Thats come in handy so many times for me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nah, I live in New Zealand. I ordered them from AliExpress as I looked on our version of eBay - trademe - and the $4 Bluetooth dongle are selling on it for $15, I couldn't handle the price difference so accepted the wait. The worst I saw was a $10 dongle being sold for $55.

Ill see if I can steel one from someone for the day if they don't show up.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went through and touched up all the solider joints making sure it didn't become a bridge between bits, threw it into the car and boom it connected.

Then the car came up with a brake failure warning light and refused to start...

Disconnected the battery and threw the dongle into the bin, waiting 10 min and reconnected everything and no warning lights and the car started... Whooooohhhoooo

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm searching a good app for Windows Phones.
Haven't found any (free) programs with Charge Air Pressure (Boost) reading?

Any suggestion?
No problem in paying for the app if confirmed that it works.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Cant you just use something like bluestacks to run android apps?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts