SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just FYI that OBD reader can causes DSTC service required error.
I bought a cheap OBD reader from Ebay. One day, The coolant was changed and there still some air in the coolant system. I need to drive and add more coolant. So I plugged in the OBD reader to monitor the coolant temperature for about one week. i did not unplug the OBD reader during this 1 week monitoring. One time, a DSTC service required message popped up and the car made a huge clunk noise when I was slowing to a stop light. Then DSTC and BLIS were disabled. I went to a parking lot and stopped the engine and restarted the car. The error message disappeared. After a few days, the DSTC service required message appeared again.. So it happened twice in a week. I have my suspicion. So I unplugged the reader from the OBD port. I drove the car for one month and Never saw that error message again. It can't be a coincidence. So be careful what you plug into OBD port full time.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
On many makes the ABS system goes off line when the scan tool is messaging on the network. The Volvo factory tools used to do this on models through 1998. if the ABS ystem was receiving data that is confusing or unintelligible the safe thing it to go offline. Interrupting braking for an error is far worse than the system standing down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts