SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intially posted this in the C70 forum and didn't get a response, trying here for any help.

So... I wanted to see what the ABS code it threw yesterday was, so I went to my local AutoZone to see if they could pull the code. Their Actron 'could not link.'
I went to O'Reilly's, and they're using a new Bosch scanner...it wouldn't link either. The O'Reilly guy said that meant the port wasn't getting power. While I don't take their word as gospel, clearly, something is amiss. That port worked the last time I had them scan it (nearly 2 years ago, it needed a sensor.) I mean the OBD II port under the armrest.
Fuses are good.
Any input for what could be going on?

Thanks,
-William

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
I doubt it. But what year C70? You say the port is below the armrest, that's an older model I suspect. Might be a K-line protocol, and who knows if the ABS module will respond.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Issue wasn't that it didn't read the ABS; it refused to link and read at all.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Are you sure the fuses are good and getting power to the port?

I've seen this be an issue with some of our fleet (100+ vehicles) and their ports when connecting GPS units up.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I honestly don't know which fuse it is. I've literally looked through all the fuses and none are burned out.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I honestly don't know which fuse it is. I've literally looked through all the fuses and none are burned out.
Did you use a test light or an ohm meter to test the fuses?

If you only looked at them, try to find a test light or a meter. I don't know how many times I've seen fuses that look fine but aren't.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hadn't; but now I have. Not a fuse.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatever O'reilly's was using 2 years ago read it; their computer said: faulty read of something sensor.. I bought one and replaced it, and it fixed it. (can't remember the name, but it's on the intake hose right before the throttle body.) So.. and it's not just theirs, the Actron scanner at the auto[xxx] wouldn't connect either. :(
You think it's it's just playing silly buggers with the non-VIDA scanners now?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Hard to say without knowing exactly what scanner they're trying to use. I'd expect any scanner worth beans will do K-line, but the KWP2000 protocol was used mostly on euro cars, and it has lots of manufacturer-specific messages. There are definitely non-Volvo tools that will work, but the early C70 is a little bit "special". A Volvo-specific tool will work more reliably, and will also give more detailed codes. A good indy shop will probably have one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well...Still pissed off about this. There's nothing apparently wrong with it, the mechanic I took it to (and charged $45 for the privilege) used a Snap-On reader and it read fine. He said he didn't have the right software to access the 'volvo-side' (he called the VIDA), and was annoyed at Snap-On about that.
Still don't understand. Actron and Bosch top scanners wouldn't connect.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts