SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a device that can track various acceleration times as well as engine data from the OBD port. E.g. throttle position, RPM, fluid temps, intake temps, gear, boost psi, wheel speed, etc. My goal is to log data for at least a few weeks before I put on my downpipe and tune, so I can see if there's an appreciable difference in the pre and post tune #s. Might also be helpful detecting potential problems. The Racelogic Vbox would be ideal (I believe this is what car reviewers use), but @ ~$400, it's a good bit more than I want to spend.

Anyone use a product similar to what I described?

From my research so far, a Freematics Vehicle Data Logger (V3 or V4) is the most promising option. It requires user programmed Arduino, but from the guides on their website, it doesn't seem like you need particularly advanced Arduino knowledge (in fact the logger could prob be setup with zero programming experience). Starts at $59 for the V3 and $79 for the V4.

Next option is an app called Track Addict. Free , but if you want to save more than 3 recordings it's $9. Standalone app offers some basic data logging via the phone's GPS. More functionality and greater accuracy can be added with external OBD and GPS attachments (those get pricey). I downloaded the free app, and the information presented isn't detailed enough to be very informative. The data can be exported via .csv file, which gives a lot more room for custom analysis. However, the main issue I see is that the GPS is accuracy is an appalling 200m. Not sure if that affects vehicle speed, but I feel it would.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Vehicle speed is on the obd port. Try the ELM327 and Torque. It should do most of what you want.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ELM327 clone off amazon works well for me. At a very cheap price. May not be the best thing out there but its god enough... choose any app you like, torque, dash command, there are many. be sure to get a WIFI elm327 though.. bluetooth may not work, wifi does for sure.

so did you put the DP on yet?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Elm 327 (eBay)and a 4g device with dashcommand, works on iPods to buts it's optimized and much smoother on a phone.

Dashcommand literally displays everything and has custom PIDS.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DashCommand sounds perfect. I'm going have to download that and pick up a ELM327. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Brown

DP hasn't gone on quite yet. I was on the fence about trying to DIY it, but after getting under the car last week to install my TCV, I decided that would be an even less enjoyable job. I'm looking for a shop who will install it for a reasonable rate. I got an estimate from one shop of ~$850 to put in the DP and manifold gasket, which might be their f*ck-off answer.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Same unit Jon suggested with DashCommand. I opted for wifi since I didn't want to disrupt my car's bluetooth. It works great, only complaint is that I always leave it plugged in, so my phone detects it as an internet wifi source and I can't browse the internet in the car unless I turn off my wifi and strictly use data. But I'm in the car to drive, so it really doesn't matter.

I will say, boost and hp readings are not accurate with any of these apps on our cars. If you want to monitor boost, get a boost gauge.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Same unit Jon suggested with DashCommand. I opted for wifi since I didn't want to disrupt my car's bluetooth. It works great, only complaint is that I always leave it plugged in, so my phone detects it as an internet wifi source and I can't browse the internet in the car unless I turn off my wifi and strictly use data. But I'm in the car to drive, so it really doesn't matter.

I will say, boost and hp readings are not accurate with any of these apps on our cars. If you want to monitor boost, get a boost gauge.
I use the Scantool OBDLink LX Bluetooth. Their app comes with all of the data logging you could ask for. It shuts off after a certain amount of car off time to save the car battery etc, and features every available OBDII communication protocol. I had it in my Dodge truck and it is now in the Volvo, and automaticall detects every available piece of data except special mode data.

For those that said these kinds of readers are not accurate for boost and whatnot. - well, they are only as accurate as the sensors in the car, as all the readers do is access the data points in the computer. My wife's subaru has about 80 individual items it can read,while the volvo only has about 40. My truck had even less at about 20.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts

New update shoulda fixed that, it'll still show connected to a wifi signal but stuff like Imessage and online apps should still be able to run in the background now.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
New update shoulda fixed that, it'll still show connected to a wifi signal but stuff like Imessage and online apps should still be able to run in the background now.

Time to update then! Thanks

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my ELM327 in today. $17 w/ free 2 day shipping from amazon prime.

Looks like I'll be getting DashCommand as well. Really not that much money compared to the other stuff I bought for the car, but I think $10 is more than every app I've bought in the last 5 years combined.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts