SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
I’m looking for something too. Maybe I’ll try this.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The best way to disable catalyst efficency DTC is by modifying ECM software.
If you install a spacer, what can happen in some cases, is the sensor is so far from the exhaust gases that ECM will interpret the slow reaction of the rear O2 sensor as a fault. It will set rear O2 sensor aging fault. If this fault is active, it will also disable closed loop control which is a bad thing. This is not a rule, but it can happen. If the catalyst monitoring is disabled in software, there is no need to for any spacers. Sensor can be left directly in the exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you install a spacer, what can happen in some cases, is the sensor is so far from the exhaust gases that ECM will interpret the slow reaction of the rear O2 sensor as a fault. It will set rear O2 sensor aging fault. If this fault is active, it will also disable closed loop control which is a bad thing. This is not a rule, but it can happen. If the catalyst monitoring is disabled in software, there is no need to for any spacers. Sensor can be left directly in the exhaust pipe.
So how can I modify the pcm software? Can it be done using vida?

Sent from my Nokia 3310

·
Registered
269 Posts
Technically, the best way to disable the DTC is by replacing the converter with one that works. Or replacing the front O2 that may have drifted to the point that the converter can't work. Modifying the tune is a Federal offense.

Yes, I know people do it, mostly because the government generally doesn't hand out $250,000 fines to people on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
So how can I modify the pcm software? Can it be done using vida?

Sent from my Nokia 3310
You yourself cannot. Well, you could, but it requires some learning and such.
No, VIDA cannot be used for this.

Technically, the best way to disable the DTC is by replacing the converter with one that works. Or replacing the front O2 that may have drifted to the point that the converter can't work. Modifying the tune is a Federal offense.

Yes, I know people do it, mostly because the government generally doesn't hand out $250,000 fines to people on a daily basis.
Discussion is about preventing CEL using a catless downpipe.

There are members here all over the world and your Federal laws down’t apply everywhere.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion is about preventing CEL using a catless downpipe.

There are members here all over the world and your Federal laws down’t apply everywhere.
That is true, but when seeing a pictured ad with the product's price listed with a dollar sign, and the OP's language doesn't carry an Australian accent, it is safe to assume US or Canada.

Could always be wrong, of course. This is where filling out the location field in your user profile makes communication easier.

My point regarding the upstream oxygen sensor still stands.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
That is true, but when seeing a pictured ad with the product's price listed with a dollar sign, and the OP's language doesn't carry an Australian accent, it is safe to assume US or Canada.

Could always be wrong, of course. This is where filling out the location field in your user profile makes communication easier.

My point regarding the upstream oxygen sensor still stands.
Just a minor correction, we were discussing O2 sensor downstream of catalytic converter, but I understood what you meant.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went with recommend spacer Dougy this post got extra good to see everyone sharing words

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts