SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed my DP from Viva, I got the CEL and George was nice enough to send me one to install.
The Spacer he sent me was about 2 inches and had a right angle. Didn't think anything about it until tonight when I was browsing IPD and saw that theirs was just a straight spacer about the same length? Why the difference?
I'm still getting a CEL:

Vehicle Manufacturer: Volvo
Vehicle Calibration ID: 30785504
Current Fault Log
------------------
P2196: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich bank1 Sensor1
Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults
Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
P0602: Control Module Programming Error

and I'm wondering if the type of spacer might have something to do with it. Maybe the O2 sensor doesn't fit properly using the IPD one?
Car runs fine, gas mileage has suffered a bit. Thanks.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, multiple times. Sometimes it goes a few weeks without a cel. Sometimes a couple cel's in a week. No rhyme or reason.???
Bought ready to put the stock dp on and see what happens.

·
Registered
727 Posts
he sent you a spacer for a code for sensor 1? Correct me if im wrong but i believe the 02 spacer is for sensor 2. Sensor 1 is the one that is determining the AFR whereas sensor 2 is just there to check to see if the CAT is working.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
When I installed my DP from Viva, I got the CEL and George was nice enough to send me one to install.
The Spacer he sent me was about 2 inches and had a right angle. Didn't think anything about it until tonight when I was browsing IPD and saw that theirs was just a straight spacer about the same length? Why the difference?
I'm still getting a CEL:

Vehicle Manufacturer: Volvo
Vehicle Calibration ID: 30785504
Current Fault Log
------------------
P2196: O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich bank1 Sensor1
Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults
Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
P0602: Control Module Programming Error

and I'm wondering if the type of spacer might have something to do with it. Maybe the O2 sensor doesn't fit properly using the IPD one?
Car runs fine, gas mileage has suffered a bit. Thanks.
In answer to your question; yes, trying a straight oxygen sensor, such as the one IPD sells, may remedy your situation if the underlying cause of your problem is the 90 degree spacer that you're currently using.

The ECU compares the readings from the rear oxygen sensor to the readings from the front oxygen sensor to determine the efficiency of the catalytic converter. However, the ECU also uses the readings from the rear oxygen sensor to "calibrate" the readings from the front oxygen sensor. Essentially, the ECU uses the readings from the rear oxygen sensor to calculate an offset for the readings from the front oxygen sensor. However, when you use a spacer on the rear oxygen sensor, you are effectively introducing an intentional "error" in the readings from the rear oxygen sensor.

This works to avoid the low catalytic converter efficiency code (generic OBDII DTC P0420), because spacing out the rear oxygen sensor causes the readings from the rear oxygen sensor to remain essentially stable (not fluctuating in comparison to the readings from the front oxygen sensor), which makes the ECU think that the catalytic converter is operating within its acceptable efficiency range.

Unfortunately, if the spacer pulls the rear oxygen sensor completely out of the exhaust gas flow, the readings from the rear oxygen sensor may be so "low" that the ECU continuously sees a "lean" condition from the rear oxygen sensor. As such, when it compares this continuous "lean" condition from the rear oxygen sensor to the fluctuating readings from the front oxygen sensor and attempts to calculate an offset for the front oxygen sensor based on the continuous "lean" condition from the rear oxygen sensor, it may conclude that the front oxygen sensor is stuck rich; thus resulting in the P2196 code that you're seeing.

The 90 degree spacers are particularly prone to causing this problem, because they essentially prevent any exhaust gas flow from reaching the rear oxygen sensor. If you use a straight spacer (with a hole in the end so that the rear oxygen sensor is exposed to some exhaust gas) then it may allow the rear oxygen sensor to read less "lean", thereby keeping the ECU happy and preventing the P2196 code. That said, if the straight spacer is too short, the fluctuations from the readings from the rear oxygen sensor may be sufficient to cause the low catalytic converter efficiency code. However, you can always add an additional extension to the straight spacer using a spark plug non-fouler like this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N0259_-1_-1&pt=N0259&ppt=C0334

Note: you can also make your own spacer using one or more of the spark plug non-foulers. One is probably too short to effectively avoid the low catalytic converter code, but two "stacked" should be sufficient. Unfortunatly, due to the size of the tip of the rear oxygen sensor you would have to drill out the "upper" non-fouler in the "stack" in order to have the sensor screw in all the way.

Here is a link to a thread with some great photos illustrating what I'm talking about (note: this is for a Mitsu Evo not an R): http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/215795-5-o2-cheater-non-fouler-how.html

drilled out:

FINAL NOTE: Clearance with respect to the side of the exhaust tunnel can be an issue when using a straight spacer. However, I believe the RaceS60R downpipe has an angled bung for the rear oxygen sensor, so there should be room for a straight spacer. If the bung for the rear oxygen sensor is perpendicular to the downpipe, rather than angled, then you may have clearance issues (the straight spacer will cause the rear oxygen sensor to contact the heat shield).

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
I actually cut if 90 degree o2 sensor in half because I could not rotate it enough to tighten it.

Zero CEL's so far. Knock on wood.

-C

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys just after some advice. I've got a C30 T5 with a 3"DP and sport cat (200 cell) running an auto tech stage 2 tune. Recently my EML has been coming on. I got the code read and it was 'ECM-400D' will a spacer for the rear O2 fix this? If so is there anywhere in the UK to get one?
Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not working for my 850..anyone find a new way??

·
Registered
244 Posts
I figured I'd post this here, sorry to necro a thread, but it seemed relevant. I have had these spacers in for probably 40k miles. Yesterday I got a p0140 code ...downstream circuit no activity. I've been panicking to find a sensor, but none are local. So I went under the car for the heck of it and sure enough, the non fouler was broken! not completely, but bent enough to cause an exhaust leak. I suspect that this is why the code came up. I went to remove the non fouler and it was FOULED...rusted in even though I had put gobs of anti-sieze on it when I installed it. I had to dremel it out...in pieces. :( So, moral to the story, either change these things out often, maybe at 20k? or get a real one from IPD or someone else. i'll follow up with a youtube video when I get it edited.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Another side note about rear 02 sensors and codes - pay attention to how the rear O2 sensor reads the exhaust gas. I noticed that aftermarket sensors do not always have holes at the tip to register exhaust gas; and, when you install a spacer it effectively reduces or eliminates the side introduction of exhaust to the sensor and can cause the 'too lean' code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts