SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed an elevate downpipe and now am getting a check engine light for an issue with the O2 sensor. I even replaced the sensor and it's still throwing the same code. I do have a 90 degree spacer on the cat. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? See below.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,991 Posts
I think the O2 spacers are for when you're going catless or the cat isn't efficient enough for the ECU (either low cell count "race spec" type or a dead unit), Try without the 90 deg spacer and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
1,991 Posts
eeehhhh???? they include a spacer with their DP?????

Not trying to bash on them. But then, what's the point of saying they're using oversized (rated for a 7.4L engine, IIRC) catalytic converter?? If so, then the cat isn't "efficient" as it should........

·
Super Moderator
15,327 Posts
Install an aftermarket downpipe and you NEED a tune, the two go hand in hand.

Very few people will get away with not having a CEL after upgrading downpipes. Even then, boost can spike and you can risk the car trying to lean itself out as the O2 readings through an aftermarket cat deviate from what it considers an acceptable range with stock.

·
Super Moderator
15,327 Posts
Why then would elevate ship their dp with cat with the spacer pre-installed?
On the Elevate downpipe, the spacer isn't there to compensate for the sensor readings.
It's there because there is not enough clearance with their downpipe for the O2 sensor to fit without it pointing towards the ground and overstretching the wiring.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Elevate downpipe, the spacer isn't there to compensate for the sensor readings.
It's there because there is not enough clearance with their downpipe for the O2 sensor to fit without it pointing towards the ground and overstretching the wiring.
Thanks for the clarification on this. I am running a Hilton Stage 2, flashed it right after the downpipe install. I was getting the same CEL with the dp on the Hilton Stage 1 before flashing.

·
Super Moderator
15,327 Posts
I would address this with Hilton then.
Unless the O2 sensor is bad, it sounds like Hilton may just need to update the tune for your specific downpipe and cat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Honestly unless your state emissions care, if you have it, just have Hilton Tune out the cat but keep the cat on. ( This wouldn't have any issues right? The cat-02 sensor is just to make sure that the cat is working no? the upstream 02 sensor is the wideband and controls the engine?)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I removed the spacer and it has not thrown a code since. Only issue now is that the O2 sensor is hanging pretty low. One high curb or speed bump and it might get crushed.

I might just have Hilton delete it. This won't cause any performance issues will it? I'll be running a cat with no downstream O2. At this point, I almost wish I just went catless.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Had hilt
Install an aftermarket downpipe and you NEED a tune, the two go hand in hand.

Very few people will get away with not having a CEL after upgrading downpipes. Even then, boost can spike and you can risk the car trying to lean itself out as the O2 readings through an aftermarket cat deviate from what it considers an acceptable range with stock.
Hilton tuned mine out. I’m catless and don’t even have my rear o2 sensor connected. Still get an OBD2 code from time to time but AFR is where it should be. I just reset the code. A trick that has worked if you just don’t want to mess with resetting the light/code as often is to let the car idle for 5-7 min before leaving and letting things come upto temp before getting on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Oh, I might be able to help with this! My 10' s40 T5 AWD with an Elevate downpipe / tune was throwing codes for the O2 sensor, and I was able to fix it with the straight spacer sold by IPd (Link). I haven't had any clearance issues so far, but would watch out for big rocks or anything of that sort. Passed Oregon DEQ with no problem after completing a drive cycle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts