SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that says you should replace O2 sensors as PM on OBD-II cars at 100K miles because they can become sluggish..

Is that true? Anyone actually replace them as PM? I know if they have an issue, a light will go on.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Generally the rule-of-thumb is 100,000 miles for 02 sensors. Now, can they last longer... sure. Should you replace them without a code... I wouldn't, but you could. The idea that O2 sensors were just maintenance items was back in the day when they only costed $40-65 bucks to replace. It was generally considered part of the 100k mile service tune-up and a good idea to keep the a/f ratio perfect. But when your front O2 sensors are $175, I would wait until there's a really good reason to change them out.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally the rule-of-thumb is 100,000 miles for 02 sensors. Now, can they last longer... sure. Should you replace them without a code... I wouldn't, but you could. The idea that O2 sensors were just maintenance items was back in the day when they only costed $40-65 bucks to replace. It was generally considered part of the 100k mile service tune-up and a good idea to keep the a/f ratio perfect. But when your front O2 sensors are $175, I would wait until there's a really good reason to change them out.
My thoughts exactly. Those things aren't cheap!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just laugh at the o2 sensor stuff. My CEL popped on yesterday (I know I need to put that spacer in) after about 800 miles of randomly going off after I changed plugs. Apparently a wash and Thule fairing is the fix to get the engine light off. Started it up after wash and it was gone lol

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
+1

Still on original O2 sensors on my S60. No codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts