SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated 11/01/2015

Who: Open to all Volvo owners, friends and family.

What: Road rally & scavenger hunt finishing up with lunch

When: 11/7 - Saturday - Rain date 11/8 - Sunday. 10 AM start time.

Where: Start: Mathews Park, 295 West Ave, Norwalk, CT 06850. Route: 53 past Saugatuck Reservoir into Danbury. 37 to 39 past Candlewood Lake. 7 north along the Housatonic to Great Barrington, MA. Finish at Barrington Brewery & Restaurant 420 Stockbridge Rd #7, Great Barrington, MA 01230.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bar...1affec5a32!2m2!1d-73.4158643!2d41.1099011!3e0

Everyone will get a photograph of their car as a participation prize.

Scavenger Hunt:

License Plates:

CT & MA- Number is year of production of your car
RI
ME
VT
NH
NY
NJ
Ontario
Quebec
CA
FL

And any others you find

Good vanity plates

Funny bumper stickers

Spot a RV stuck

Apple cider donuts

Sugar Pumpkin

Spot a Wild Turkey/Hawk/Deer.

Exotic bikes/sports cars

Largest speed differential of a car under the limit - before you pass them

Other volvos of any kind not participating

RSVP through the forum.

Tentatively Attending:

Scottishbrick

Hounddogger

R_Model

odumatt

OmarNYC-R

ckmack

JAM2

slickfast

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I'm in. I think for a lot of people Sunday might work better.
T-shirt wise I have some ideas...

·
Registered
93 Posts
ScottishBrick, thank you for setting up this thread. When I proposed doing a Pumpkin Run during the Volvo C&C meet up this past weekend I didn’t really have any pre-determined ideas other than it would be great to organize a larger event gathering with some friendly competition involving driving our cars.

After thinking about it some I have the following ideas for locations and rules. The Pumpkin Run Rally could be setup as a course with 20+ waypoints which are revealed as the answers to riddles. Each team; which would consist of a driver and co-driver and any additional passengers if the team leader wants to carry more people, would be given a standard AAA map of Connecticut or Map book and a course riddle/ scavenger hunt with the rules instruction sheet. Teams would have to consist of a minimum of two people and the use of GPS would be prohibited. This would partially be an orienteering competition. The co-driver would have to handle navigation for the team. Odometer readings would be taken at the start of the Rally and at the finishing point. Scoring would be based on miles travelled, average pace speed set between waypoints, total items collected in the scavenger hunt for the final competition and points awarded to a team during the judging of the final competition.

All of the items in the scavenger hunt would be used to build a Pumpkin headed scarecrow and judging would be conducted by a randomly selected group of team members. Teams would be required to record their own time between each waypoint to calculate average pace. Adherence to the rules would be dependent on the honor system. Higher points would go to the teams that complete the course, hitting all or the greatest number (if not all waypoints are hit) of waypoints in the least mileage while setting a consistent pace speed. It’s important to note that fastest speed would not be given higher points, but rather consistent speed between the waypoints.

So far for starting points and finish points I have the following proposals depending on how many people sign up.

Stony Creek Brewery along the Branford River in Branford, CT. We could start here before the place opens in the morning and return for beers on the deck and Bocce ball or horseshoes. Alternatively if we collected payment for tickets and wanted to do food we could look into reserving the private event space on the second floor of the brewery.

I have also heard that Beer’d Brewing Company in Stonington, CT is a good visit as well. Stonington is an interesting town and we could start somewhere in the bottom of the state and end in Stonington. Alternatively we could look into meeting up at one of the many vineyards in Connecticut. As I am not to familiar with them I would need suggestions from other members.

Weather permitting the following outdoor park options could work:
Lighthouse Point Park along the waterfront in East Haven, CT. We could stake out (maybe need to reserve) a pavilion at the park and have a cookout and potluck with wine and beers here at the end of the race.

Gillette Castle State Park along the Connecticut River in East Haddam, CT. There are picnic tables and I think grills in the park where again we could have a cookout and potluck with wine and beers at the end of the race. The ride to Gillette Castle State Park is very nice with wonderfully views overlooking the Connecticut River. The “Castle” is a very interesting sight as well. If you have never taken a tour, I definitely recommend it.

Another State park that could be a good finishing point would be Sleeping Giant State Park off of I-91 in Hamden, CT.

And lastly there is East Rock Park in New Haven, CT with nice views of New Haven.

We would need to setup a planning committee for the course and these board members obviously not be allowed to compete in the driving competition for points. However they could go along for the fun of it. I look forward to hearing other peoples comments and ideas.

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I volunteer to plan the course. But i think that was already a given. Hounddogger and I were throwing around ideas in the western corner of the state for routes.

I like the idea of a true rally with average speed over the course being important. If theres interest (Speak up people!) i say lets go all out and make it a scavenger hunt and award points. If not, just make it into an owners meet with a drive and barbecue.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I volunteer to plan the course. But i think that was already a given. Hounddogger and I were throwing around ideas in the western corner of the state for routes.

I like the idea of a true rally with average speed over the course being important. If theres interest (Speak up people!) i say lets go all out and make it a scavenger hunt and award points. If not, just make it into an owners meet with a drive and barbecue.
That's what I think too. If we keep it casual there are a lot of nice places to stop in the northwestern part of the state... Tea in NY, coffee/chocolate in Kent, and some really great places for lunch in Washington/new Preston. But I'm game for whatever.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If it wasn't implicit from my post above I am volunteering for helping plan the event as well. ScottishBrick or Hound let me know if you want to get together during one of the evenings next week to go over ideas if we get enough interest this week. I think a rally with scavenger hunt would be a lot of fun. I like your proposal of a cookout/ barbecue with the trick being in finding a place to do that. I potentially have a private option available where I can reserve the condo community clubhouse at my place depending on how many people show interest. Also, visiting a brewery makes a lot of the last fun parts of the day really easy to plan. Hey look they have beer here!

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chaffinch island park by my house is a nice spot for a barbecue with grills, good parking and its right on the water. Gillette castle also sounds good. Stony Creek brewery makes an easy finish point OR it could become a scavenger hunt location as part of the rally. If we do western highlands then i think rally times dtages are a good idea, around the eastern end of the state its potentially asking for trouble to have a whole fleet of fast volvos going through semi residential areas. I love all the ideas that are getting thrown around, but, realistically, simpler is better.

As such, I suggest the following:

Central CT shore to hills roads, or western highlands curves from heaven. Scavenger hunt list with generic items, points awarded for what you actually fulfill them with. Keep it casual and limit the road racing as much as it is fun. Planning even a simplified version needs some good collaboration, map searching and local knowledge. I am around all evenings this week except Saturday night and tomorrow. A dry run of the course ahdead of the event wouldnt be a bad idea. I am also working on graphics for shirts/stickers as soon as i get photoshop back again

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I'm usually down that way on Saturdays. We should figure out which day (Saturday or Sunday) is better for people. I know sat the 31st is hectic for me because I'm running the half marathon in Madison. If we're going for super rural with high speed limits and pretty deserted roads nothing is going to beat northwestern CT.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To keep the event safe on public roads I was suggesting it not be about high speed, but rather maintaining a consistent average pace between waypoints which would be calculated off of time between waypoints as recorded by each team. I like the sound of western highlands of CT with winding hilly roads. We could start out that way and end up on the Connecticut shore for the final cookout and barbecue, get the best of both.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I guess I should have clarified that by saying roads where the speed limit is 45 instead of 25 like we encountered on Saturday. A 130 mile trip with significant stretches at 25 isn't fun at all. I like the start up north go around, and end on the other side of CT idea.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also I would like to suggest for the T-shirts that we do something with Paul Newman given his history of modifying and racing Volvos up at Limerock. We couldn't ask for a cooler poster guy.

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also I would like to suggest for the T-shirts that we do something with Paul Newman given his history of modifying and racing Volvos up at Limerock. We couldn't ask for a cooler poster guy.
Fantastic idea. Somethign featuring a "paul newman special" or the likes. I already have ideas

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yea, I was thinking something like a purple 960 wagon with the hood open and a Ford V8, tag line "Paul Newman Special" or something and on the other side would be Paul Newman with aviators on and a famous quote from Cool Hand Luke or another one of his movies with great quotable lines.

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Paul Newman with a racing helmet in his hands but it's been replaced with a pumpkin with the iron mark on it grinning cause he just cleaned up limerock in a Volvo wagon.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As I was going over ideas for the Start or Finish points of the proposed Pumpkin Run Rally I decided to reach out to the Service Manager at Gengras Volvo of Meriden and see if they would be interested in being involved with a car show, rally run and cookout . I have dealt with the guys at this dealership and while I sure we all have our gripes with dealerships these guys have ended up doing right by me with a quality job when my engine needed to be replaced.

The service manager is interested if we can get a proper sized group mobilized and he offered up that they do have grill and would help out with burgers and activities. I pitched either a morning car show followed by lunch around 11:30 am and Start of the Rally from there. Or if we started early morning up in Northwest Connecticut we could end up at the dealership for a car show and cookout. We could still hit places like Gillette State Park and Stony Creek Brewery as points in the Rally course.

So that we can get a better idea of the interest in this get together (no matter what we end up doing) and aide in gauging the size of an event we need to plan for, please respond before 10/10 if you will be planning on showing up and participating.

T-Shirt Ideas: ScottishBrick, I like the idea you presented above. Maybe we can do the Paul Newman portrait with pumpkin on the back and a Volvo 240 or 960 wagon superimposed over an outline of the Limerock track on the left sleeve and just the pumpkin with Volvo Iron Mark on the front left chest.

·
Registered
6,605 Posts
I'm in, I just can't do anything before about 10AM the 31st.

We should gauge interest for Saturday vs Sunday. Whichever day works for the most people would seem to be the better day.

The Paul Newman t-shirt idea I really like. Iron mark on the sleeve, pumpkin rally 2015 on the or below the iron mark on the sleeve and Paul Newman on the back would be my suggestion. Whatever it is just make sure it's not in Comic Sans. The Volvo badge or ironmark font would be a good choice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think the 7th would be a better day fellas. I only say this due to that some of us go out on Halloween with the ladies (and get drunk), or kiddies. Otherwise i'd love to attend, sounds like it would be insanely fun.

·
Registered
17,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Working on the first draft of the logo/design. Paul Newman with a race helmet by his side replaced with a pumpkin carved to have the ironmark, inset into a simplified top shot of a 960 wagon doing a burnout thats left tire tracks in the shape of limerock. Thats for the back. Front is just the pumpkin with iron mark, text to be decided.

On to other matters. I think the suggestions of the weekend after halloween and making it a sunday would be good for turnout. As such, tentative date change to november 8th.

I like the idea of scavenger hunt/road rally across the state corner to corner. Lets see what we can do to make that course enjoyable.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Whatever you guys decide. If it's a Sunday I may have to meet up half way. I'd be in it just for the ride and beers afterwards. Shirt ideas sound great. Let me know if and when you guys need money for shirts.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts