SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my R to be detailed and included the sealer and wax I wanted used (M-Sealer and Butter Wet Wax from Chemical Guys). They used Nu Finish instead. Do I need to take the Nu Finished off or can I apply the Butter Wax on top of it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I use Butter Wet Wax as a top-coat over more durable waxes. Butter Wet isn't very durable, but it looks amazing for a short period of time.

I use Turtle Wax Black car wax as my base coat. I have no issues with the Butter Wet on top of it. When the car looks dull, I only need to wash and refresh the Butter wet, without having to re-do the whole car from scratch. This lets me do the Turtle Wax treatment once a year.

As far as nu-finish is concerned, its a pretty tough wax/polish from what I remember, so I don't think it would hurt to put the Butter Wet on top of it. If it doesn't look good, bring it back to them and make them do it over, since they ignored your request the first time.

R-

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use Butter Wet Wax as a top-coat over more durable waxes. Butter Wet isn't very durable, but it looks amazing for a short period of time.

I use Turtle Wax Black car wax as my base coat. I have no issues with the Butter Wet on top of it. When the car looks dull, I only need to wash and refresh the Butter wet, without having to re-do the whole car from scratch. This lets me do the Turtle Wax treatment once a year.

As far as nu-finish is concerned, its a pretty tough wax/polish from what I remember, so I don't think it would hurt to put the Butter Wet on top of it. If it doesn't look good, bring it back to them and make them do it over, since they ignored your request the first time.

R-
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I took your suggestion and put a coat of Butter Wax on top of the Nu Finish and it SHINES. The Nu Finish was ok, but the finish looked a bit dull, but not now. My R is a "garage queen" so to speak so the Butter Wax will last a while.
As to your suggestion to making them so it over, they work with my wife so... Well I am sure you understand. It will all work out.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Good news. Since you have magic blue you should try the Black car kit. It will fill in any light scratches and dings with black, so they blend in much better with black and dark colored coats.

We used it on my friends Gun-metal 335i and it POPPED. That was before I knew about butter wet wax too...

This is my R with the Black base and butter on top:

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Now, if you want to make quick work of waxing your R, do what I did:

Use a foam mini paint roller to coat the entire car at once:

And then buff it to a shine with microfiber and some detail spray as needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts