SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 S80 2.5 LPT -

Started having some issues last week, seemed like a coil going bad as the engine bucked at highway speed, going around 80 (i was on my way to the airport). After returning home I kept it around 70 for the 50 mile ride home and all was fine. Driving to work the next day, again going 80-85, it did it again and then just seemed to cut out completely. No throttle response though the engine didn't stall. After the speed dropped to around 40 power came back. Scanner showed a single misfire on #3 so I replaced that coil.

Fast forward to Tuesday, it's doing it again but around town this time - no highway speeds. Replace the crank sensor.

Tuesday night, does it again. Now I get a fuel pressure sensor code, signal high. I replace that. Up to this point it hasn't thrown a Check Engine light.

Wednesday night, hit the expressway and start accelerating and the car hitches, backfires, and then I get a Check Engine and Reduced Engine Power message. Turn around and go back home but can't detect any reduction in power, it drives normally.

Read the codes this morning and Vida says crank sensor (which I'd just replaced).

Any ideas???

·
Registered
53 Posts
2006 S80 2.5 LPT -

Started having some issues last week, seemed like a coil going bad as the engine bucked at highway speed, going around 80 (i was on my way to the airport). After returning home I kept it around 70 for the 50 mile ride home and all was fine. Driving to work the next day, again going 80-85, it did it again and then just seemed to cut out completely. No throttle response though the engine didn't stall. After the speed dropped to around 40 power came back. Scanner showed a single misfire on #3 so I replaced that coil.

Fast forward to Tuesday, it's doing it again but around town this time - no highway speeds. Replace the crank sensor.

Tuesday night, does it again. Now I get a fuel pressure sensor code, signal high. I replace that. Up to this point it hasn't thrown a Check Engine light.

Wednesday night, hit the expressway and start accelerating and the car hitches, backfires, and then I get a Check Engine and Reduced Engine Power message. Turn around and go back home but can't detect any reduction in power, it drives normally.

Read the codes this morning and Vida says crank sensor (which I'd just replaced).

Any ideas???
You posted in the wrong area, this area is for the S60.

·
Registered
17,318 Posts
Crank sensor wiring. Known issue. Cut it and replace it back as far in the harness as possible.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You posted in the wrong area, this area is for the S60.
The driveline between an 5-cyl S80 and an S60 is the same and the S80 forum is a ghost town.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crank sensor wiring. Known issue. Cut it and replace it back as far in the harness as possible.
Thanks for the tip -

Hey, who owns the saffron V70R I saw on Rt 9 on Monday?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
***SOLVED****
It was the fuel pressure sensor. It would intermittently read high (like 105psi instead of the nominal 58psi) causing the ECM to cut fuel.

The problem was actually compounded by the replacement of the crank sensor. When I went to remove it, the 6mm stud cast into the plastic bracket pulled out. When I epoxied it back in place, a bead of the epoxy was standing proud enough of the bracket to increase the distance between the end of the crank sensor and the flywheel to cause the crank sensor error and the backfire. I milled down the flange of the original crank sensor to get it to clear the epoxy and reinstalled it and all is well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Peter
good you got the car sorted , it is so good when people post there results and findings on there car problems,
Thanks Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts