SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot of research on chips before picking one and decided to go with Upsolute and have it installed in Charlotte where I live. I mainly picked it because well it was cheap and I'm a cheap bastard. The car feels great so far. I wish I had some solid numbers to give you but I don't. I found very few cars running this tune on s60r/v70r.

The process-
The ecu was removed from the car. The installer had instructions on what pins to hook up to but there was some part that he wasn't sure about. He said he felt more comfortable removing the chip, having it read, and sending the file off to Upsolute in Austria. About 30 minutes later they sent back the new file, they burned it to a new chip and soldered it back on the board. When I put the key in I was told to turn it to 2nd on position and wait a minute for the tb to calibrate.

The cost was $350

I have a boost gauge I just need to get some time to install it. Hopefully then I can give a little more info on this. I just wanted to document on the forums that I am running it and happy so far.

I have no data to say that its any better/worse then other tunes that are out there.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
glad it's working out. :thumbup: I haven't heard of upsolute but thats not surprising

at any rate I would never choose a tune based on what was the cheapest unless everything else was comparable. If a tune cracks a cylinder (#3) going to cost you way more than saving a few bucks on the tune.

i'm going to guess you did your research.

·
6,436 Posts
I've ran Upsolute on my old S40 and it was great.

I'd prefer more of a custom tune on the R though and honestly soldering a chip onto my R's ECU would scare me - it's much easier to just load new software via a tool and have the ability to switch back and forth....

Either way - keep us informed on how it behaves. I suggest getting a Wideband AF gauge to keep an eye on things more closely

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Soldering onto the chip means you cannot get Dealer software upgrades, ie TNNs and other changes that may arrive. This is why I went with a Softloader which I can unload the tune anytime I want.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car is 6 years old with 100k, how many new software updates are they really going to come out with at this point? It doesn't stop me from updating the sum or bcm. Tune seems safe so far, if I had to guess they just dump a bunch of fuel at high boost to cool the cyls. I hate getting a tune from anyone, I am used to turning my car myself with megasquirt. From what I have been told this chip does not push the car to ragged edge which is fine by me. It's my dd, I wanted it to be quicker and safe, I will gladly leave 5-10hp on the table for that.
A bunch of people over seas run the tune but it's a bit hard to read their reviews using Google translate. There are a bunch of people in the US who run them on 850's, actually there is an 850 upsolute chip for sale right now on the forum.

·
Registered
Jaguar XFR
3,270 Posts
weird that their tune takes the S60r to 340HP but the V70R to 345hp... But the s60r gets 470 NM torque and v70r gets 455 NM.

·
Registered
501 Posts
weird that their tune takes the S60r to 340HP but the V70R to 345hp... But the s60r gets 470 NM torque and v70r gets 455 NM.
Test may not be in controlled environment and mods and engine & vehicle conditions may differ.

My SR recorded 366HP to crank on a ~90 degree day with Carbon tune (DP, catback, rkelly w/ K&N, turbo intake).

·
Registered
501 Posts
how did you measure crank hp with the engine in the car?
Lucky plugged his laptop to my port under the dash, while taking the car for a spin used some software to record data (MAF I believe) and used a calculator and formula to convert to HP.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
ARD Tuning / Robert aka Lucky... Done, but good luck with your tune.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Having your ECU tuned by soldering on the chipset is like doing an OS upgrade via floppy disk.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having your ECU tuned by soldering on the chipset is like doing an OS upgrade via floppy disk.
Doesn't really matter much if your os is only 1 meg. Take a little more time (an hour) but only costs half as much.

I am sure lucky does great work, but costs $600 plus. I just can't see that much money for reloading the sames file over and over.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Speaking of tunes and ARD wasnt someone trying to organize a dyno or tuning day with Lucky on the east coast? Any updates or news on that?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Test may not be in controlled environment and mods and engine & vehicle conditions may differ.

My SR recorded 366HP to crank on a ~90 degree day with Carbon tune (DP, catback, rkelly w/ K&N, turbo intake).

90F...Woodinville..

Wha??

·
Registered
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hope they did a proper job with the soldering.

I had RICA tune via chip soldering before their softloader came out, and then after a few months the car started getting intermittent stalling issues... turned out the soldering job they did was crap, It was loosing contacts over bumps and irregular road surfaces.
Bought new ECU, went with MTE/IPD softloader and never looked back.

Lesson learnt, never go with chip soldering ever again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts