SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put down a deposit today for a 2013 R Design.
Passion red with soft beige / off black interior
Platinum
Climate with integrated booster seats
BLIS

Sales rep is telling me late August or early September. So I guess I have that long to sell the current T6 Seashell.

Sold on the improved performance, the interior of the R, and DW loves the color.

Been following all the recent very informative discussions here and think this will be a good choice for a while now.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
We have slowed considerably in our vehicle purchase frequency:eek: ; that hit you're gonna take on the T6 might be considerable(don't know your mileage). I've worked the numbers on our '10 T6 and have decided to keep it until we try OSD for the MY 2014(so I keep saying :p ). I'm sad to think what the old girl will lose in value at 4 years of age. Back when we had vehicles in the sub-$25K realm, the percentage depreciation didn't equate to the big numbers we now face.

You, of course, are picking up power, style and a bit of technology :thumbup: ...can't easily put a dollar value on THAT!:cool:

Here in Texas, we don't pay sales tax on the trade-in value...only on the difference between trade-in and new price. That's a sizable number when dealing with a used vehicle worth >$30K .

Interesting that you are going from a color that many people can't pinpoint to one that is unmistakeable! Ain't new vehicle buying FUN!!:) May your summer go by QUICKLY !

·
Registered
837 Posts
Ditto what Coach said on the depreciation hit (note: prior to our xC60 purchases, the most I had ever spent on a car was $26k!). Did you consider trading-in your current XC60? I know that can be an even bigger hit, but sometimes a "like-branded" dealer can be more generous than a competing brand's.

p.s. Best color!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Interesting that you are going from a color that many people can't pinpoint to one that is unmistakeable!
A salesperson at one of the dealerships I shopped (but ultimately didn't buy from) put a pinpoint on the Seashell color that actually sold it for me (see my sig): It's like a Champagne color. Yep. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
a bit worried

When I was talking to the salesman at Volvo, he mentioned the exceptional high value that these cars keep and cited an example of such for trade in. Reading this thread has got me a bit worried about the value holding. When I was looking at Audi, my Volvo sales guy said that is an advantage with going with Volvo, they retain their value. Not the whole truth?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
When I was talking to the salesman at Volvo, he mentioned the exceptional high value that these cars keep and cited an example of such for trade in. Reading this thread has got me a bit worried about the value holding. When I was looking at Audi, my Volvo sales guy said that is an advantage with going with Volvo, they retain their value. Not the whole truth?
Compared to what other marque? Audi?,VW?...yeah, Volvo likely does well. I think the first half-dozen years of the XC90 is where Volvo got that rep of holding value...it set the bar for less-truck-like SUVs, I reckon. Then the market caught up and I believe Lexus held value better for a while.

In our experience, the Lexus RX held its value better than any Volvo we've had. Actually, from an age and mileage standpoint, our '01 Tribute held its value better, but we're back to a $24K vehicle.

Of course, our experience with Volvo crosses model updates for some trades...our '04 C70 convertible sank like a stone when trading toward the '08 C70. Our '07 XC70 was worth about 50% of MSRP when we traded toward the '10 XC60 (the 70 only had 28K miles on it...at least 9/10 condition).

I honestly didn't consider trade-in value on any of our purchases except for the Lexus(I half-expected and fully received a higher trade-in relative to MSRP--trading back to a Volvo). Our '04 V70 was traded toward the Lexus(same trade value toward a Volvo or Lexus---same dealer family
in Atlanta). Trade-in after two years was pretty low considering mileage and condition...someone wondered why I was trading a new car:) ...I'll admit it looked pretty darned good...not a door ding in sight!

Bottom line...IF Volvo still has 'owner loyalty' money next time we trade, it will likely be as big a factor as any 'fantastic value-holding properties' that Volvo might have(and we're only talking about ~2% of vehicle value at that point for the loyalty 'bonus').

Compared to Audi? SAAB? Volvo will hold its own. Compared to Lexus, BMW, Infiniti ...not so sure there's a winner in that race. Just my .02

I'd like for your dealer to demonstrate that 'high trade-in value' on an actual deal...that's the only way to put a number on it! I'm not saying it's bad...just nothing to write home about ;) .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have slowed considerably in our vehicle purchase frequency:eek: ; that hit you're gonna take on the T6 might be considerable(don't know your mileage). I've worked the numbers on our '10 T6 and have decided to keep it until we try OSD for the MY 2014(so I keep saying :p ). I'm sad to think what the old girl will lose in value at 4 years of age. Back when we had vehicles in the sub-$25K realm, the percentage depreciation didn't equate to the big numbers we now face.

You, of course, are picking up power, style and a bit of technology :thumbup: ...can't easily put a dollar value on THAT!:cool:

Here in Texas, we don't pay sales tax on the trade-in value...only on the difference between trade-in and new price. That's a sizable number when dealing with a used vehicle worth >$30K .

Interesting that you are going from a color that many people can't pinpoint to one that is unmistakeable! Ain't new vehicle buying FUN!!:) May your summer go by QUICKLY !
Well I wasn't really planning on "upgrading" so quickly, but there were a combination of factors at work. One was the "oil burning issue" and "new engine" from Volvo. That got me thinking about replacing. Then once I looked at the options, the R in passion red really started to grow. The Seashell was not my first choice, but when we got that we were under a time crunch and the alternative in white was a 2011 without Sensus.

Regarding the hit in depreciation - well that's a given. Dealer in LA offered well below blue book in trade (and I would have had to drive down to LA before even getting final appraisal so that was really a non starter).

Right now in SF Bay Area there is pretty much zero XC60 fs by owner - only by dealer. Maybe I'll get lucky.

The last time I ordered a car that was exactly what I wanted (color and options) it was a real winner. The current XC was a bit of a compromise (what do you have in stock), and so I think this new R will be a keeper.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A salesperson at one of the dealerships I shopped (but ultimately didn't buy from) put a pinpoint on the Seashell color that actually sold it for me (see my sig): It's like a Champagne color. Yep. :)
That's actually a pretty good description. When I first saw Seashell I thought it was going to have more of a green tint to it. Turns out to be more beige/tan, but champagne is what I will use when I post for sale :) It's not that I dislike the color, but I really like the passion red.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ditto what Coach said on the depreciation hit (note: prior to our xC60 purchases, the most I had ever spent on a car was $26k!). Did you consider trading-in your current XC60? I know that can be an even bigger hit, but sometimes a "like-branded" dealer can be more generous than a competing brand's.

p.s. Best color!
Considered trading (and may yet cave). But I now have 3 months to sell privately so maybe that will work out. Tried to work a deal in LA but the offer was too low and the distance really made it impractical. Local dealer gave a good trade in price when I got the current XC60, so when the time gets close I may go back and see what they will offer.

The color - got to say that it looks so sharp. My only worry is that it may draw more attention from Highway Patrol :D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There's certainly a lot to be said for driving something that excites you, especially given the 'challenges' with your current engine(I hadn't considered that).

What's the S&S plan on your new ride? That is worth some serious dollars over the period.

I never thought I'd be driving and trading vehicles costing over $45K. Our '01 S40 @ $25K was a real splurge for us and the first C70 was crazy-talk at over $40:eek: . Looking back at our '91 Miata, it 'cost' only about a grand a year in depreciation. The Volvos, on the other hand, are in the $6-8K range per year...hard to get a grasp on that!

I've mentioned before that I have mixed feelings when replacing a very nice vehicle with another very nice vehicle. We spent a decade 'trading up', but it's hard to move significantly upward from a very nice RX330, beautiful V70, capable XC70, etc...not to mention the three C70s we've had(although, no one will argue with the improvement from Gen1 to Gen2 in the convertible).

You have at least three significant 'upgrades' with your new choice, not to mention the S&S plan. Certainly, there's a lot to be said for having the very vehicle you want. :thumbup: It will be interesting to see what sort of numbers you get on your trade/sale. One thing's for sure with us, we ain't payin' cash for fifty-thousand dollar vehicles when the interest rate is below 2 percent(we'll see how THAT holds over the next year or so!).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got a call in mid August from local dealer that the car had arrived. Can you believe I had to stall him for a couple of weeks before I picked up the car!

No, seriously. After placing the order for the new R Design, DW only went and found a new house for us to move to (with 3 kids under 8). And work picked up with a big proposal to write. So, between packing up stuff from the old house to move to the new house, arranging financing for a house trade up, and working a lot, there was no way to go pick up the new car. (And I was also trying to sell the 2011 XC60 T6).

So, I sold the 2011 for a decent price - more than trade in, less than ideal, but reasonable. Then picked up the shiny new RED XC60 R design and drove it 2 miles and parked it for a week. (Didn't have time to install car seats). But now I'm driving it and I love it. Only driven 200 miles, so I'm still treading lightly while "breaking the car in". (I know the new school of thought is that new cars don't need breaking in, but I still remember what my Dad told me...) But I really like the RD shifter. Way more positive feel than the 2011 T6. Can't speak to the extra HP because I haven't pushed it yet, but definitely the ride is firmer. And personally I love the seats - I think DW is going to complain, but Oh Well.

Also got the twin rear seat boosters, and turns out that is working really well. Our two olders are in the boosters and the 2 yr old is now in his car seat in the center. All he wants to say is: "Go drive Daddy" and he gets very upset when I take him out of his seat. He at least really likes the new car.

I know it's not real without photos, but this is the first time in weeks that I've even had a chance to log in here at Swedespeed. I'll post pics in this thread if I can.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Well, I got a call in mid August from local dealer that the car had arrived. Can you believe I had to stall him for a couple of weeks before I picked up the car!

No, seriously. After placing the order for the new R Design, DW only went and found a new house for us to move to (with 3 kids under 8). And work picked up with a big proposal to write. So, between packing up stuff from the old house to move to the new house, arranging financing for a house trade up, and working a lot, there was no way to go pick up the new car. (And I was also trying to sell the 2011 XC60 T6).

So, I sold the 2011 for a decent price - more than trade in, less than ideal, but reasonable. Then picked up the shiny new RED XC60 R design and drove it 2 miles and parked it for a week. (Didn't have time to install car seats). But now I'm driving it and I love it. Only driven 200 miles, so I'm still treading lightly while "breaking the car in". (I know the new school of thought is that new cars don't need breaking in, but I still remember what my Dad told me...) But I really like the RD shifter. Way more positive feel than the 2011 T6. Can't speak to the extra HP because I haven't pushed it yet, but definitely the ride is firmer. And personally I love the seats - I think DW is going to complain, but Oh Well.

Also got the twin rear seat boosters, and turns out that is working really well. Our two olders are in the boosters and the 2 yr old is now in his car seat in the center. All he wants to say is: "Go drive Daddy" and he gets very upset when I take him out of his seat. He at least really likes the new car.

I know it's not real without photos, but this is the first time in weeks that I've even had a chance to log in here at Swedespeed. I'll post pics in this thread if I can.
Congrats on all. You are correct, it's not real without pics. :p Make sure you post pics of the interior set up as well for the full "you are there" report. :D

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Can't imagine just parking the R for a couple of weeks, but I understand you've got a lot going on! Regarding 'break in', I believe it's still good to 'keep your foot out of it' for 500 miles or so. That's what I did with our new RDX, but it doesn't have that much power 'beckoning' Daddy to go drive ;) . It'll be interesting to hear your comparo as you spend a bit more time with the new R. I considered that jump, but the planets didn't align.

Be sure to change your signature so everyone can know about the new ride! Enjoy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some pics + new sig.

Rear seat boosters - they are great for our 6 & 7.5 yr old

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Man , that's good lookin'!!! My white RDX is jealous, but would happily pose with your two Volvos for a 4th of July photo! :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Gorgeous car, man. I think the XC60 looks incredible in red, and really like the tan seats. However, with another red R edition already in the garage, I figured i needed a different color to set 'em apart. I do really like your car though.....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Passion Red FTW! I like how the kiddie booster seats have the same seat stitching pattern as the main seat....nice touch there Volvo. We've got rear climate since our kiddos are a bit past booster seat age!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man , that's good lookin'!!! My white RDX is jealous, but would happily pose with your two Volvos for a 4th of July photo! :)
That would make quite the photo :) Had a white 4Runner up until last December...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Passion Red FTW! I like how the kiddie booster seats have the same seat stitching pattern as the main seat....nice touch there Volvo. We've got rear climate since our kiddos are a bit past booster seat age!
Yes, I took a leap of faith with the booster seats. We have one in the center of our XC90 which is OK, and I was praying that our two olders could get buckled with a car seat in the middle for the 2 year old. Fortunately with the built in boosters there is just enough room for little hands to get the buckle in. (Otherwise DW would be telling me "told you so" that it wasn't practical enough.)

Actually the boosters work well and we do have a Radian car seat in the middle so we can fit 3 little ones just fine. They are on the higher of the two stages of booster and are learning to sit up straight so the seat belt doesn't go across their necks. Now we just have to see how it works when they fall asleep on a long trip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts