SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been reading a lot here about a "November Update." However, I have not heard anything from Volvo, and my usually knowledgeable dealer has no definitive information. Assuming there will be one, I have two questions.

1. Will there really be an update and will it include carplay?

2. What will the update definitely include?

3. What does the informed rumor mill indicate will be included?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I have not been told yet exactly what the update will include from my Volvo 'source' in Sweden, and can not even say 100% I'll be given any detailed bullet point list prior to its release.

I've mentioned what I have been told by him will be in the update in my thread about this and future updates.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Volvo is on record as saying there will be a November update. The only things they have promised are CarPlay and "improvements" to the navigation. They have not been specific about them or what if any other features they are adding or glitches they are correcting.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll look for the pamphlet about the update that came with my car. There are no specifics besides CarPlay and the month (November) but since they printed up the while pamphlet I think there's reason to believe there will be significant changes.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Volvo is on record as saying there will be a November update. The only things they have promised are CarPlay and "improvements" to the navigation. They have not been specific about them or what if any other features they are adding or glitches they are correcting.
Here is my knowledgeable service rep's judgement about the November update.

"The software may be ready for the November update, but I have my doubts. So far all I have definitely heard about is Apple CP. Don't get your hopes up until the release date is officially announced, and even then wait for us to say we have it."

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the most recent update done yesterday, and it doesn't get rid of any of the "non essential" issues (Sirius grey-out, seat adjustment screen pops up etc.) I can see why they might want to roll all those out together, but it also seems odd they wouldn't fix some of the small fixes that must be ready if they think they would have the big update ready by November... So, i will not be shocked to see it move to Dec/Jan just based on my backround as a software engineer and update schedules (which may be worth nothing here : )

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Man if it doesn't come out in November I'll be pretty pissed off. Though if it's delayed or even if the reps think it might be, that's indicative of significant changes being implemented, which will be fun. But seriously, CarPlay at least in November or I'm mad.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man if it doesn't come out in November I'll be pretty pissed off. Though if it's delayed or even if the reps think it might be, that's indicative of significant changes being implemented, which will be fun. But seriously, CarPlay at least in November or I'm mad.
Sounds right to me. November is two weeks away and we should have heard something official by now. Volvo is been tight lipped even with those who seem to have access. It's hard enough when you have a crew of talented software engineers to track down all the existing issues.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sounds right to me. November is two weeks away and we should have heard something official by now. Volvo is been tight lipped even with those who seem to have access. It's hard enough when you have a crew of talented software engineers to track down all the existing issues.
There's about 7 weeks until November ends. Still time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
There's about 7 weeks until November ends. Still time.
I for one I'm not very hopeful. I am coming up on my three month anniversary and I've had the car in my possession for less than 20 days. I received the new software update last week and my car is still in the shop with multiple error codes. Volvo definitely has a problem here and I'm close to cutting my losses and moving on. It's quite unfortunate because I really did like the car in the few days that I had it. Volvo is offered me a replacement but I'm hesitant to pay full price sticker price for automobile that has so many unresolved issues. I think us in the North American market really suffered from being so far away from the home office in Sweden. I also think Volvo has great automobile engineers but their software engineers are either lacking in skill or from sheer numbers.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Okie - I am really sorry for your problems and I understand your frustration. However, I am not sure if it is fair to say "so many unresolved issues" or "North American market really suffered". There are so many XC90s out there with no problems except well known minor software issues.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?241673-Positive-Reports

I also have the car for the last 3 months with no major problems.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Okie - I am really sorry for your problems and I understand your frustration. However, I am not sure if it is fair to say "so many unresolved issues" or "North American market really suffered". There are so many XC90s out there with no problems except well known minor software issues.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?241673-Positive-Reports

I also have the car for the last 3 months with no major problems.
Just think what most people classify as tolerable. A Sirius radio that changes stations randomly, plays music from nonpaired stations and does not function appropriately. A seat adjustment feature that just shows up randomly after start up and then magically disappears. The navigation system routinely put you next to the road instead of actually on the road. We are not talking cutting-edge technology but rather mature technologies that should be easy to implement. All of this and $70,000 package seems ridiculous for people to put up with. This puts aside all of my power failures and error code issues.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just think what most people classify as tolerable. A Sirius radio that changes stations randomly, plays music from nonpaired stations and does not function appropriately. A seat adjustment feature that just shows up randomly after start up and then magically disappears. The navigation system routinely put you next to the road instead of actually on the road. We are not talking cutting-edge technology but rather mature technologies that should be easy to implement. All of this and $70,000 package seems ridiculous for people to put up with. This puts aside all of my power failures and error code issues.
I accept other minor problems waiting for the Nov update, e.g., opening the door triggering the radio after you park the car. I can also list some missing items compared to the manual. However, none of the examples you listed is expereinced by me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My understanding is that the update will be rolled in starting week 46.
You mean week 46 in 2015? Who told you that?

My dealer has sold a number of 2016 XC 90s and I hear that all of them have at least one of the annoying problems mentioned earlier, mainly software related, some have more problems and at least one could not be properly prepped for delivery. It's a shame with such a great SUV.

What is needed is more clarity from Volvo, and frankly more honesty. There is no reason to leave people guessing. I will hope for an update, but I will take my dealer's essential advice -- you'll know an update is available when you hear from me that I have it for you.

·
Registered
819 Posts

My dealer has sold a number of 2016 XC 90s and I hear that all of them have at least one of the annoying problems mentioned earlier, mainly software related, some have more problems and at least one could not be properly prepped for delivery. It's a shame with such a great SUV.

What is needed is more clarity from Volvo, and frankly more honesty. There is no reason to leave people guessing. I will hope for an update, but I will take my dealer's essential advice -- you'll know an update is available when you hear from me that I have it for you.
It has always been week 46, that's what i've heard from Volvo Cars Sweden since April.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It has always been week 46, that's what i've heard from Volvo Cars Sweden since April.
I believe you. It's just hard to believe what Volvo is "saying" to some people because Volvo won't go public or even share a firm release date with their dealers, at least where I am in the US. Software is pretty tricky and public silence is usually not a good sign. Volvo should just be completely up front, for better or worse, so that their customers know what's happening.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I was told by my dealer. I was also told that my car will be produced in week 47 and that thus it will not have to go back to the dealership for the update. Apple carplay should be introduced too with the update, but it is less certain as it depends also on Apple and not only on Volvo.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was told by my dealer. I was also told that my car will be produced in week 47 and that thus it will not have to go back to the dealership for the update. Apple carplay should be introduced too with the update, but it is less certain as it depends also on Apple and not only on Volvo.
Week 46 is about a month from now. That's a short time if you're rolling out a major software update. It is certainly enough time to make it official.

When is someone from Volvo going on the record to clarify what up til now are just hearsay and rumors. I can handle the truth if I know the truth.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts