SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating taking my car in for the big November update since I have no "major" issues so far. Has anyone else without major issues has taken the new update with CarPlay? I think the only weirdness I have experienced so far is with the Seat Adjustment screen popping randomly at start up, and the vents making a weird noise from time to time when the heat gets cranked in Auto mode (which can be manually remedied, if need be). Not sure if the update is worth the risk just to get CarPlay going if everything else seems fairly normal. Has anyone without issues taken the update and regretted it?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Your post implies that your dealer is actually doing the updates to customer cars right now..? My dealer is not, and will inform me when they have actually gotten the update to work on a lot car and keep it stable before bringing mine in. As of right now they have not achieved this. It will likely be next week for me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, as of right now I still have an appointment for Friday of this week and haven't heard from the dealer. Perhaps I will call to check in.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yes, as of right now I still have an appointment for Friday of this week and haven't heard from the dealer. Perhaps I will call to check in.
You might want to ask them if they've been able to get it to run on a few lot cars and that they've confirmed that it's absolutely stable on those cars

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to ask them if they've been able to get it to run on a few lot cars and that they've confirmed that it's absolutely stable on those cars
Agreed - Good Idea, but was hoping for a more unbiased opinion from someone here that may have gotten the update and may not have been experiencing any problems!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I too have an XC90 that have had none of the issues described in this forum. Although my dealer has the update, I am actually going to wait until January to get it. This is to ensure they work out any issues with the software and apply any necessary patches. The one issue that has been reported with the update is that it affects the car's internet modem (via the AT&T SIM card) and owners are no longer able to use it to update or download apps or get information from Apps. I would suggest you contact your dealer and make sure they have actually tested this on their vehicles without issue. And I also recommend just waiting until January.

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 my dealer said they are no longer doing customer cars. They are only doing the cars sitting on the lot(kind of scary for new buyers!!) until they work out the problems. He said try next week, but I think I can wait.

·
Registered
419 Posts
+1 my dealer said they are no longer doing customer cars. They are only doing the cars sitting on the lot(kind of scary for new buyers!!) until they work out the problems. He said try next week, but I think I can wait.
Here is a very recent transcript of a very recent session with a Volvo representative at the Volvo headquarters in the United States.

Draw your own conclusions.

Nine: There have been problems with the “November Update.”

Volvo Rockleigh: That was last week. The software was not ready to be installed last week. It was fixed and now it is ready to be installed.

Nine: Yes. But apparently it is untested by dealers who are concerned after the prior assurances about the failed update.

Volvo: All of our cars here at corporate have been updated with no issues. All maps must be updated by the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ours has be at the dealer since Friday the 27th, they can't get it to complete updating and apparently don't have a way to roll back to the previous version.

We were going to stop the presses Monday but it was too late. We have a 2016 V60 XC loaner but family coming into town this week, the 3rd row would be handy.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know... I am going to call and cancel my Friday appointment! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got the update installed today, NoVA area. Seems like I was the first one since the restart last week from Volvo because the service guys had to dig up the bulletin about it being all clear to restart customer downloads.

Everything seems to be working well, knock on wood. CarPlay is pretty cool on my initial runthrough. I was able to download the app updates via the car's modem as well.

At present, I'm very happy with the update and, despite being a new process, my dealer handled the protocol well.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I got the update installed today, NoVA area. Seems like I was the first one since the restart last week from Volvo because the service guys had to dig up the bulletin about it being all clear to restart customer downloads.

Everything seems to be working well, knock on wood. CarPlay is pretty cool on my initial runthrough. I was able to download the app updates via the car's modem as well.

At present, I'm very happy with the update and, despite being a new process, my dealer handled the protocol well.
My Volvo contact says that Paradox and myself are the only cases they have heard about where the modem didn't work after the update. Just passing on what I was told.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
My Volvo contact says that Paradox and myself are the only cases they have heard about where the modem didn't work after the update. Just passing on what I was told.
Same thing he told me citivas.

I thought someone on here mentioned their dealership telling them about the modem not working after trying to do some cars, but I'm not 100% and don't have time to search for the post right now, if I am remembering correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Nice, hopefully our dealer figures it out!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here is a very recent transcript of a very recent session with a Volvo representative at the Volvo headquarters in the United States.

Draw your own conclusions.

Nine: There have been problems with the “November Update.”

Volvo Rockleigh: That was last week. The software was not ready to be installed last week. It was fixed and now it is ready to be installed.

Nine: Yes. But apparently it is untested by dealers who are concerned after the prior assurances about the failed update.

Volvo: All of our cars here at corporate have been updated with no issues. All maps must be updated by the dealer.
Just for information, I heard back from the online rep I chatted with.

She said she used my name to look up my Vin and that I had an update coming and that I should have it done to get the most out mf my XC 90.

Take from this as you will. I plan to wait.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm booked in for the 14th (UK). Haven't had any problems since purchasing the car so wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Same thing he told me citivas.

I thought someone on here mentioned their dealership telling them about the modem not working after trying to do some cars, but I'm not 100% and don't have time to search for the post right now, if I am remembering correctly.
That was me. But I figure it could be exaggeration. My dealer and yours are the same company. So my dealer hears about your case and by the time they are telling me its mushroomed into "some" instead of one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had no major issues with my car other than noisy brakes tge 1st few hundred miles but that went away on its own. Anyways my car has spent 4 days at the dealer trying to get this update. The dealer said Volvo is going to send an engineer to see what's going on. They say halfway thru the installation the car freezes

1 - 20 of 276 Posts