SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic will be to discuss anything related to the November 23 Sensus software update, other than CarPlay. For CarPlay, there is a separate topic here:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?260361-CarPlay-Experience

I don't have a lot to report yet. But here's what I have so far:

-- As discussed elsewhere, for at least Paradox and myself the software update renders our internal car modems non-functional. So we can't use any apps or functionality that requires it. I can't, for example, even download all the newer apps -- TuneIn, Pandora, etc., let alone use them. I also can't try out the new Infix real-time traffic data because it requires the modem to get its data.

-- I don't think the update fixed the issue with the navigation system being wrong about where the car is. When I start driving it still shows the car about 50 feet to the left of the actual road and at an angle. It corrects faster than it used to though. I still wonder what causes that issue in the first place.

-- I am cautiously optimistic (and very happy if it sticks) to report this update (or a previous one I didn't have until now) may have fixed the issue with the radio never turning off if you open and close the door without turning the engine on. I tested it this morning. It did turn the radio on when I opened the door and left it on when I closed the door. But I left for 15 minutes and returned and when I did the radio, screen and all lights in the car were off. In the past the radio would have still been going. I don't know exactly how many minutes it lasted before turning itself off. Also, after my previous service visit this issue went away for a day before, so I will test it again in a week and confirm it remained solved.

-- So far I have not had any of the many radio glitches. But they always did come-and-go so only time will tell if they stick. But I have not had any greyed out sat stations, I have not had it changing the channel to something other than what I was last one when I start up, I have not had it turning the radio on when the car is off and locked and I have not had it playing one station while visually saying its on a different station -- all issues I had before.

-- I have not noticed much different with the nav system but I haven't used it for any extensive trips yet. Visually it's the same as far as I can tell, though I wondered if it was doing a better job of labeling more streets than before. It still only shows full street detail at the 1/8th mile scale instead of at the 1/4th scale of many other nav systems. It still requires numerous steps to cancel navigation. I haven't properly tested trying to find POI's, see if it successfully routes around traffic or other issues that didn't work well before.

-- I have not yet tested attempting to enter voice commands into Sensus. The voice itself is still exactly the same and still computer-twangy as before.

-- I encountered a clear glitch that seemed to go away after a while so not sure how to repeat it. After I started up the car at a gas station, I wanted to try using Sensus voice commands while parked (and not distracted). But the steering wheel button wouldn't work for Sensus. I tried it about 20 times for different lengths of holding and it would not activate for any length of click or hold unless you held it long enough that it instead triggered Siri. It was frustrating. I tried it later after driving 15 minutes and it worked fine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
This topic will be to discuss anything related to the November 23 Sensus software update, other than CarPlay. For CarPlay, there is a separate topic here:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?260361-CarPlay-Experience

I don't have a lot to report yet. But here's what I have so far:

-- As discussed elsewhere, for at least Paradox and myself the software update renders our internal car modems non-functional. So we can't use any apps or functionality that requires it. I can't, for example, even download all the newer apps -- TuneIn, Pandora, etc., let alone use them. I also can't try out the new Infix real-time traffic data because it requires the modem to get its data.

-- I don't think the update fixed the issue with the navigation system being wrong about where the car is. When I start driving it still shows the car about 50 feet to the left of the actual road and at an angle. It corrects faster than it used to though. I still wonder what causes that issue in the first place.

-- I am cautiously optimistic (and very happy if it sticks) to report this update (or a previous one I didn't have until now) may have fixed the issue with the radio never turning off if you open and close the door without turning the engine on. I tested it this morning. It did turn the radio on when I opened the door and left it on when I closed the door. But I left for 15 minutes and returned and when I did the radio, screen and all lights in the car were off. In the past the radio would have still been going. I don't know exactly how many minutes it lasted before turning itself off. Also, after my previous service visit this issue went away for a day before, so I will test it again in a week and confirm it remained solved.

-- So far I have not had any of the many radio glitches. But they always did come-and-go so only time will tell if they stick. But I have not had any greyed out sat stations, I have not had it changing the channel to something other than what I was last one when I start up, I have not had it turning the radio on when the car is off and locked and I have not had it playing one station while visually saying its on a different station -- all issues I had before.

-- I have not noticed much different with the nav system but I haven't used it for any extensive trips yet. Visually it's the same as far as I can tell, though I wondered if it was doing a better job of labeling more streets than before. It still only shows full street detail at the 1/8th mile scale instead of at the 1/4th scale of many other nav systems. It still requires numerous steps to cancel navigation. I haven't properly tested trying to find POI's, see if it successfully routes around traffic or other issues that didn't work well before.

-- I have not yet tested attempting to enter voice commands into Sensus. The voice itself is still exactly the same and still computer-twangy as before.

-- I encountered a clear glitch that seemed to go away after a while so not sure how to repeat it. After I started up the car at a gas station, I wanted to try using Sensus voice commands while parked (and not distracted). But the steering wheel button wouldn't work for Sensus. I tried it about 20 times for different lengths of holding and it would not activate for any length of click or hold unless you held it long enough that it instead triggered Siri. It was frustrating. I tried it later after driving 15 minutes and it worked fine.
It seems that the Volvo update is a net negative and I don't see that many of the important issues have been resolved. Inconsistent errores are of significant concern. You deserved better.

This as really bad news and there is no covering up that Volvo has done a horrible job with an update they announced six months ago.

I will continue to wait until a month after my dealer tells me the Volvo update is ready for prime time, which they have not yet done.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Why it is a net negative while the radio-coesn't-turn-off problem, and random radio station problem are fixed? Curious how you look at it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Citivas and Paradox and anyone who's gotten the update and having trouble with the modem- can you use your phone as a hotspot to connect the car? I think Paradox mentioned no hotspot on his phone, in that case, can you tether to the phone and not use carplay just to get the apps working?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Citivas and Paradox and anyone who's gotten the update and having trouble with the modem- can you use your phone as a hotspot to connect the car? I think Paradox mentioned no hotspot on his phone, in that case, can you tether to the phone and not use carplay just to get the apps working?
I didn't try this myself yet but that's because the dealer tech said he tried and couldn't use the phone or dealership to make a hotspot, so I assumed it wouldn't.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why it is a net negative while the radio-coesn't-turn-off problem, and random radio station problem are fixed? Curious how you look at it.
I personally would not call it a net negative yet. There is one serious issue that so far is only believed to affect some users and may have an easy fix. If it doesn't, then, yeah, it may be a net negative. If it does, then that's the only new issue it has introduced so far and it appears (again, tentative verdict) to have fixed others.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
If I pay for tethering/personal hotspot with my carrier it would work for me to connect the car to my phone (using either Bluetooth tethering or connecting to my phones hotspot) but as you mentioned, I do not pay for personal hotspot. Just connecting the phone to USB doesn't allow for sensus to use data off my phone.

It worked in one of my previous Toyota's and their entune service but you had to download an entune app to your phone. Maybe Volvo needs to do some kind of sensus app and then it can use data off the phone after plugging in without requiring some paying their providers extra money. But I don't understand the technical aspects of all this quite honestly...

Anyways, I've added this elasewhere, but want to add here that if I connect the car to the wifi in my house the apps and such work in the car. Also, the dealer connected the car to one of their peoples cell phones hotspots and again, the apps worked. This problem after the update only affects using the cars sim card for data access.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's curious that an update in the works for six months still has flaws. In my world, that goes way beyond a net negative to a failure. That's what it is. Beyond that, the entire process was and is a mess. Failed process - failed result.

You do not release an update for a heavy SUV without being sure that it is 100% OK. Even a screen going blank when you're driving is a potential safety hazard. This is not some theoretical discussion, and I don't like potential safety hazards.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not a sure thing the one identified new issue is a flaw in the software. If, for example, it does only affect cars that went over 6 months since the modem service was activated because of some server error extending those people's access, that may have nothing to do with the software. Just don't know yet.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While driving tonight two deer jumped in front of our car at and do what deer do -- froze in front of the headlights. We were doing about 40 MPH and I had to brake aggressively -- not so much that any wheels or brakes shrieked but enough that the front seats had the seat belt tightening feature activate (that did not happen for any of the people in the second or third row, BTW). We successful stopped and didn't hit anything and the deer ran off. But as soon as that happened, I got an error message saying I needed to take the car in for service immediately for the air bags. It's the exact same message I got once before when starting up the car in my garage. I haven't driven since so I don't know if it will go away the next time I drive. And I have no idea if this is an error associated with the software.

·
Registered
419 Posts
While driving tonight two deer jumped in front of our car at and do what deer do -- froze in front of the headlights. We were doing about 40 MPH and I had to brake aggressively -- not so much that any wheels or brakes shrieked but enough that the front seats had the seat belt tightening feature activate (that did not happen for any of the people in the second or third row, BTW). We successful stopped and didn't hit anything and the deer ran off. But as soon as that happened, I got an error message saying I needed to take the car in for service immediately for the air bags. It's the exact same message I got once before when starting up the car in my garage. I haven't driven since so I don't know if it will go away the next time I drive. And I have no idea if this is an error associated with the software.
A collision with a deer is no fun. It should tighten the seat belts in all the rows I believe.

Do you have an impression that your SUV would have stopped on its own via City Safety.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another day of use with none of the old glitches recurring. The radio feature works as designed now. The HUD has been stable. As I mentioned previously the GPS still starts out slightly off but clearly corrects much more quickly than it used to. This leads me to wonder if there is a hardware rather than software origin for this behavior and they revised the software to better compensate for it, but that's just speculation. The maps seem a tad clearer and better labeled but that could just be my perception.

I tried using the voice commands twice to navigate to places and it worked both times! Granted I picked very clear, unique POI's to pronounce and I have not yet tried using the exact same voice navigation phrases that have epically failed in the past.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Another day of use with none of the old glitches recurring. The radio feature works as designed now. The HUD has been stable. As I mentioned previously the GPS still starts out slightly off but clearly corrects much more quickly than it used to. This leads me to wonder if there is a hardware rather than software origin for this behavior and they revised the software to better compensate for it, but that's just speculation. The maps seem a tad clearer and better labeled but that could just be my perception.

I tried using the voice commands twice to navigate to places and it worked both times! Granted I picked very clear, unique POI's to pronounce and I have not yet tried using the exact same voice navigation phrases that have epically failed in the past.

What about all the other issues that have been posted here? You may not have them but I wonder if you noticed anything.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Xm radio stations being greyed out is fixed in mine, thus far. This I am glad for as it was extremely aggravating.

Door locking via the door handle touch sensor is much improved on mine compared to how it was before the update. I am also glad this seems to be fixed. I find myself locking wirelessly like I have been for nearly 10 years now. It was bad enough until this update that I was using my fob almost exclusively for locking.

I haven't used sensus voice control much, but it still had trouble accepting me saying a simple "yes" in response to confirming I wanted to clear the itinerary.

I have not had the HUD be high and out of view yet since the update. But this will like most things, have to be monitored over some more time as it didn't happen each day.

For more, as citivas mentioned, ask us some specific questions and we will answer if we can.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Xm radio stations being greyed out is fixed in mine, thus far. This I am glad for as it was extremely aggravating.

Door locking via the door handle touch sensor is much improved on mine compared to how it was before the update. I am also glad this seems to be fixed. I find myself locking wirelessly like I have been for nearly 10 years now. It was bad enough until this update that I was using my fob almost exclusively for locking.

I haven't used sensus voice control much, but it still had trouble accepting me saying a simple "yes" in response to confirming I wanted to clear the itinerary.

I have not had the HUD be high and out of view yet since the update. But this will like most things, have to be monitored over some more time as it didn't happen each day.

For more, as citivas mentioned, ask us some specific questions and we will answer if we can.
"Overair" software updates and map updates come to mind. That was supposed to be an important update feature.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Driver Profile?
Easy egress/ingress?
Do we get anything new in the setting menu?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts