SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend I ran low on windshield washer fluid and noticed that when I activated the windshield washer when the headlights were on, it did not activate the headlight washer as usual. At first I believed it was due to prioritizing washing the windshield since seeing clearly was more important. I was able to confirm this in the owner's manual. My previous 3 Bimmers did not have this feature.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C'mon....I'm sure any current or former BMW owner knows the difference between Bimmer and Beemer!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
As both a current and former BMW owner, I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. But it might be an American lingo thing, I would guess.

Regarding washers - that's not the way it works, I am afraid. Regardless of the level of fluid, it only washes the headlamps once every five (or was it some other number? not sure, off the top of my head) times you use the windshield washer. Unless that has been changed - I am going by my 2016 and 2017 XC90s.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As both a current and former BMW owner, I have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. But it might be an American lingo thing, I would guess.

Regarding washers - that's not the way it works, I am afraid. Regardless of the level of fluid, it only washes the headlamps once every five (or was it some other number? not sure, off the top of my head) times you use the windshield washer. Unless that has been changed - I am going by my 2016 and 2017 XC90s.
I'm guessing you're not a member of any of the many BMW forums?

Like I said, it's what I encountered over the weekend and I was able to confirm in the owner's manual.

From the owner's manual (2018 XC90):
"Reduced washing
When there is about 1 liter (1 qt) of washer fluid
left in the reservoir and the Washer fluid Level
low, refill message is displayed in the instrument
panel together with the symbol, the washer
fluid supply to the headlights is cut off. This is to
prioritize windshield cleaning and visibility
through it. The headlights are only washed if high
or low beam is on"

From the owner's manual (2016 XC90):
"Reduced washing
When approx. 1 US quart (1 liter) of washer fluid
remains in the reservoir, the headlights will no
longer be washed to conserve fluid.
A text message and the symbol will be displayed in the instrument panel to remind the
driver to fill the washer fluid reservoir."

I believe 2017 would be the same.

Got the owner's manuals from here: https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/owners-manuals

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

Like I said, it's what I encountered over the weekend and I was able to confirm in the owner's manual.

"Reduced washing
or low beam is on"

"Reduced washing
A text message and the symbol will be displayed in the instrument panel to remind the

Got the owner's manuals from here: https://www.volvocars.com/us/own/owner-info/owners-manuals
Oh wow, how wrong I am, my apologies. But I think that was a change. I am "almost certain" the older models don't work that way. I know I read about the headlamps being washed only "once every x" times. I'll dig it out.

Regarding forums - no, this is my first time! I guess I never had a car with so many issues the dealership couldn't fix - which is what got me seeking answers online. But I got hooked!

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh wow, how wrong I am, my apologies. But I think that was a change. I am "almost certain" the older models don't work that way. I know I read about the headlamps being washed only "once every x" times. I'll dig it out.

Regarding forums - no, this is my first time! I guess I never had a car with so many issues the dealership couldn't fix - which is what got me seeking answers online. But I got hooked!
LOL. But check out the BMW forums. A lot of information there as well.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

"Reduced washing
or low beam is on"

"Reduced washing

I went to check it. You are correct indeed, that paragraph about reduced washing was there in the 2017 manual as well. The wording is different - and there is no mention of "The headlights are only washed if high or low beam is on." But it is otherwise equivalent.

But there is also this: "To save fluid, the headlights are washed once for every five times the windshield is washed" right above the section on "Reduced washing."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts