SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XC60 and a few of us have noticed small differences which point to updates pushed to our cars from the cloud.

I don't frequent this forum too much, so don't know if this has been discussed here, just wondering if anyone has noticed this on the new platform.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I noticed updates were available to the limited 3 apps we currently have, but that was after I manually went and checked for updates. Not sure if anything has occurred automatically or not update wise.

I was kind of hoping vehicle updates would be much more cloud based with this vehicle but it doesn't seem that way as SO much (if not every important update at this point) is being put off to the 'big' November update which requires a drive to a dealer to have performed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah, the apps have had a couple updates but not the core software or the maps. The maps part is particularly interesting because they definitely have updated the maps on the websites but never offered it as a cloud update despite having a specific feature to do so.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I was hoping, early on and still do to an extent, that Volvo will adopt a method for OTA updates the way Tesla does.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah, so far it seems like a missing feature since they aren't publishing their updates (other than the token apps).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Speaking of the apps, have you ever gotten Rdio to work? I loaded the app, I can search for, and find, radio stations from the directory, and their logos and things will show up, but the car never has successfully connected to one. I did manage to get a local jazz radio station to load to the point where I heard the first recorded message that starts every time it streams, but it would just repeat that over and over and not actually play the station. I get network connection errors, whether I'm trying to use the XC90's built-in modem, or have the car connect to my smart phone mobile hotspot.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I only have had 3 apps available for download; weather, here and the volvo ID one (forget the name). I'll have to check now and see if rdio shows up as available for download.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Just checked, rdio is not showing up for download.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You know what? It might be TuneIn I'm thinking of. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
You know what? It might be TuneIn I'm thinking of. Sorry.

No TuneIn either, at least here in the US. There is no music or streaming app at all on the 2016 XC90 right now. Just Weather, Here Local and Volvo On Call. Other Volvo models have more options.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yeah, there are no more apps available (at least for me) then the three I made mention of above.

PDX is in the U.S. according to his profile so not sure how he is seeing more apps than we are citivas.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No TuneIn either, at least here in the US. There is no music or streaming app at all on the 2016 XC90 right now. Just Weather, Here Local and Volvo On Call. Other Volvo models have more options.
That is the weird part. I have downloaded some of the cars I have sold with Tuned in, some I can't do. The app is there not sure what is preventing the download. I can't find any constancy with age.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
That is the weird part. I have downloaded some of the cars I have sold with Tuned in, some I can't do. The app is there not sure what is preventing the download. I can't find any constancy with age.
Well the system updates claims I have the latest version of all the software and maps and apps and it doesn't even show it as an option. Just the first three it has had since day one in May. The apps themselves have had a couple updates, but the system software and maps have not, even though according to the website there are newer maps versions available.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I tried today and no updates are available. Please note that I recently downloaded all three applications.

I have a questions about the Volvo ID application. I downloaded it but did not set it up. Is it different than the volvo ID application on my phone? Does it have any additional benefits? Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
I set VolvoID up. Not sure what it actually does... Something about associating the VolvoID account with the specific vehicle, but it would seem that should already happen if Volvo OnCall works with the car.... But maybe I don't get it. It seems to be a "use once and forget" app.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's a service that lets you find and listen to terrestrial radio stations over the Internet. So, for example, I could listen to a radio station in another state.

I was just reading about the TuneIn app on the iOS App Store, and it sounds like it's not surprising that it doesn't work well on the Volvo. Apparently the platform and the app are glitchy on iOS, also.

·
Registered
235 Posts

And in case anyone is interested, here are the apps I was able to download on my car delivered to Portland, Oregon, showing TuneIn with the other apps.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Considering you are in the U.S., this is just weird that we all can't get it. Your radio must have a newer version OS or something odd, just makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts