SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

First time poster-
I have a 2013 XC60 T6 R design that I wanted to share some best practices and data that I wish I had when troubleshooting.

~92K miles on the car, I had a check engine light that scanned to a P0171 code, a few weeks before I had a failing oxygen sensor code so I thought it was the oxygen sensor (pre-cat).

When replacing the sensor, I removed the Air box and battery box to reach all the way back to the exhaust manifold, which is a giant pain to do.

After that replacement, a code popped for a failing catalytic converter.

After further testing I found that the (PCV / Oil trap) had failed (excessive vacuum in the engine at idle) (after removing, I found the rubber diaphragm in this component had ripped.)

After replacement my codes seem to have cleared.

Better practices and notes for those doing their own work.

1. The pre-catalytic converter oxygen sensor is MUCH easier accessed by removing the PCV / Oil trap. If you use a socket type oxygen sensor tool, you can put a ratchet / torque wrench on with extensions and actually torque the thing to proper setting. (you have to remove the Intake pipe to do this, though it's not much extra work. I wish I did this instead of removing the battery.

2. The PCV / Oil trap seems a weak point and as others have pointed out this should be tested before anything excessive air can do all kinds of wacky stuff to the engine.

2A. When replacing the PCV / Oil trap, keep a few extra M6x20 fasteners on hand (grade 8). You will drop some when putting the rear bolts back on and they will disappear forever on the back of the engine. (torx are also a bad choice when access is difficult)

2B. When replacing the PCV / Oil trap, several different size extensions are very helpful. I used a handful of extensions under 6" long. I also used a 1/4 ratchet. I torqued them according to the size.

2C. Be ready to change your Oil after doing the PCV / Oil trap. I ran the car for a few minutes then changed the oil as you're exposing the crank case (via the drain back down) to outside particulate. I've some pictures of the PCV area, Be ready to clean in there a bit. ( at least the small channel to the bottom left.) I plugged all holes and used a scotch brite pad and Break cleaner.

3. Use a scan tool to reset the throttle adaptations AFTER you do anything that could change the mixture ( like a new air filter, new oxygen sensor, new MAF, Cleaning the MAF, or changing a leaking PCV.

4. You probably need a scan tool to tinker with this car. I bought an Icarsoft V3.0 on ebay (new) and it was ~$190. It's worth every penny to me as it allows me to reset the adaptation and it does a bunch of other stuff.
4A. As a side note: you CAN cause damage with a scan tool if you aren't careful / can't follow instructions.

5. What are adaptations:
When your car is running, it tries very hard to run smoothly. to do this, it compensates for all kinds of things. For example:

If your car senses 4 grams per second of air coming through the MAF, it will estimate the signal it should receive through the oxygen sensor (the one before the Cat), if that signal isn't what it thinks it should be, your car will add or remove a little fuel from the mixture to make the oxygen sensor read as it should which makes the car think that it's using a correct mixture of fuel and air. That's called an adaptation, it's the car trying to compensate. If you have a condition (like a bad sensor or air leak) your car will keep compensating until it reaches a threshold then it will say something is wrong and make your check engine light come on. There are short term and long term adaptations. Short term adapations will change the long term if they keep up long enough. These adaptations (fuel trim) are constantly changing.

6. Engine Values:
Not having a baseline of how the engine SHOULD behave makes troubleshooting difficult, that said, I took some notes:

When operating well, my car at temperature shows the following at idle:
MAF: ~4 g/s-4.7g/s ( when I had an air leak, it was as low as 1.7 sometimes) This number tends to bounce around a bit.
Fuel trim:
Short term fuel trim: ~8% fluctuating
Long term fuel trim: ~.8%

When malfunctioning fuel trim was as high as 38% in the long term.

Hopefully someone can use this to troubleshoot their Volvo!

Below are some pictures of the PCV area, Before and after Cleaning.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior
Sleeve Wood Font Auto part Jewellery

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good stuff. I'm guessing from your name that you're from NJ, we are picking up our first 13 XC60 T6 R Design from a dealer there at the end of the week. What exit are you at, I'll honk as I go by haha. Your notes ought to come in handy for me so, thanks. About how long did it take you to pull things apart, replace and clean then reassemble?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Great info. I always assumed you could simply leave it be and expect the car to adapt on its own after performing maintenance. It might take some time for the tune to work itself out but I’m assuming the CEL you might throw during that time will resolve eventually? I have a handful of mods and I get occasional CELs that stay on for a few days then turn off for a while. I haven’t reset adaptations but the battery gets disconnected for some of the work I do so perhaps that functions as a reset?

Good advice about the PCV box, and it’s pretty much what I found to be necessary to remove and reinstall it. Have lots of different length shortish extensions on hand and it might be a good idea to have wobble extensions to get the right angles on things, although I used a flex joint with a band of tape around it to minimize the amount it flipped around to achieve the same function. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MAGNETIZING YOUR TORX BITS before you do this job to greatly reduce the chances of them falling into the abyss behind the motor. I also stuffed some cloth between the motor and the firewall, above the downpipe, to create a barrier to catch anything that might fall. Finally, it’s a good idea to double check that all the bolts remain tight after you’ve had the PCV box back on for a while. I checked some months after I replaced mine and several bolts were quite loose.

Upstream 02 sensor is a pita to access. It is much easier to work with if you remove the false firewall if it’s being stubborn or you can’t get a good angle on it with a wrench. Keep in mind that the 02 sensor might shed its threads in the downpipe bung if you remove it, so be prepared to have to buy another 02 sensor and have a means to chase the threads of the bung if you don’t want to ruin the downpipe during that process.

Reactions: gravitylover

·
Registered
15,472 Posts
+1 on magnetic torx drivers!

I read somewhere that you can reset fuel adaptations by just disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes. Quicker and easier than getting out VIDA

Reactions: Bunnspeed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good stuff. I'm guessing from your name that you're from NJ, we are picking up our first 13 XC60 T6 R Design from a dealer there at the end of the week. What exit are you at, I'll honk as I go by haha. Your notes ought to come in handy for me so, thanks. About how long did it take you to pull things apart, replace and clean then reassemble?
Hey!

Is it that red one with adaptive cruise control you're picking up? I saw the listing when I was out looking.

I'm out by Montclair so I suppose I'm a 145 person,

When I did the PCV trap, it took about 2, 2.5 hours in my driveway. In a heated space, it would probably be more comfortable. FYI: watch out for the intake tube when you're taking everything apart, it's anchored with one of the PCV bolts so you'll have to kind of move it back and forth. I think I broke a glue joint (non critical) so having some 5 minute epoxy handy is nice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, we got a really nice, relatively low mile, black one from a place near Amboy. It won't need anything for a while but I over-research everything and know from having a C30 T5 a while back that there are things I need to know about. I do everything in the driveway too.

That's funny, I bought my Range Rover from my buddy's shop in downtown Montclair so I know your zone. I might actually stop there Friday or Saturday when we pick up the new (to us) XC. Then when we have a reliable daily in the driveway again I'll start pulling the supercharger off the motor in the RR to replace the leaking coolant hose that was so wisely put underneath it, silly Brits... The 2.5 hours for the oil trap will seem like childs play after I do this and change the ac compressor and condenser and a bunch of stuff in the driveway in the winter 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. I always assumed you could simply leave it be and expect the car to adapt on its own after performing maintenance. It might take some time for the tune to work itself out but I’m assuming the CEL you might throw during that time will resolve eventually? I have a handful of mods and I get occasional CELs that stay on for a few days then turn off for a while. I haven’t reset adaptations but the battery gets disconnected for some of the work I do so perhaps that functions as a reset?

Good advice about the PCV box, and it’s pretty much what I found to be necessary to remove and reinstall it. Have lots of different length shortish extensions on hand and it might be a good idea to have wobble extensions to get the right angles on things, although I used a flex joint with a band of tape around it to minimize the amount it flipped around to achieve the same function. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND MAGNETIZING YOUR TORX BITS before you do this job to greatly reduce the chances of them falling into the abyss behind the motor. I also stuffed some cloth between the motor and the firewall, above the downpipe, to create a barrier to catch anything that might fall. Finally, it’s a good idea to double check that all the bolts remain tight after you’ve had the PCV box back on for a while. I checked some months after I replaced mine and several bolts were quite loose.

Upstream 02 sensor is a pita to access. It is much easier to work with if you remove the false firewall if it’s being stubborn or you can’t get a good angle on it with a wrench. Keep in mind that the 02 sensor might shed its threads in the downpipe bung if you remove it, so be prepared to have to buy another 02 sensor and have a means to chase the threads of the bung if you don’t want to ruin the downpipe during that process.

Man, I think you're ahead of me. I should've magnetized before I started. I would have saved some words and bloody knuckles.

I suppose the car would self-reset after a while and disconnecting the battery probably does do it too. I've never actually tried that method. I guess it depends on how the engineers designed the systems.

Good note on re-checking I did think that some were loose when taking them out. Could've be part of my problem.

Yeah, I had a new one on hand, you're right on the threads. It seems like the original was WAY overtightened as one of the thread sections came off, I was able to clear it through.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, we got a really nice, relatively low mile, black one from a place near Amboy. It won't need anything for a while but I over-research everything and know from having a C30 T5 a while back that there are things I need to know about. I do everything in the driveway too.

That's funny, I bought my Range Rover from my buddy's shop in downtown Montclair so I know your zone. I might actually stop there Friday or Saturday when we pick up the new (to us) XC. Then when we have a reliable daily in the driveway again I'll start pulling the supercharger off the motor in the RR to replace the leaking coolant hose that was so wisely put underneath it, silly Brits... The 2.5 hours for the oil trap will seem like childs play after I do this and change the ac compressor and condenser and a bunch of stuff in the driveway in the winter 😁

Oh, Awesome. Mine is Black too!

FYI That scan tool I mentioned has been amazing to have for my driveway endeavors, the only problem is that the advanced functionality seems to be limited to one or two brands.

Hah. That sure sounds like a British design. Everything on the XC60 feels pleasant coming from my project 1977 XJ-S which seems to have left the factory with a combination of Standard, metric and Whitworth fasteners.

Maybe I'll see you around Montclair!

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts