SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice a notchiness or slight change in steering feedback when making low-speed, high angle turns. Almost as if the power steering pump is hiccuping. I thought it was worn balljoints and control arms, so I replaced those. There was no change to this steering issue. Power steering reservoir is full.

I know the boot at the firewall where the column passed through is squeaking - would this cause enough friction to be felt in the steering wheel?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Never had this on my R but on my old s60 one of my boots was messed up and caused vibrations and weird feeling steering when turning relatively sharp. One boot was shot and the other was leaking, I replaced them both and it went away. I would check the boots to start.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
The R has a variable assist controlled by a solenoid, it could be on its way out which you will feel as a change of resistance though it would actually be a change in assist.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sticky lower steering u-joint was doing something like that on a friends R.
From under the car sprayed penetrating grease on the joint and turned the wheel from lock to lock. The steering loosened up so we changed the u-joint a week later.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll grease the boot tonight. If nothing else, that squeak is pretty embarrassing. Bad enough that the clutch pedal creaks and I can't seem to get it to go away.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Lower u-joint, just had the same issues on mine. Had it replaced at a trusted indy, parts and labor came to $575ish

If you attempt this yourself it isn't for the faint, mine was rusted and fused on, took two guys and lots of dremeling to get the old one off. I watched them...it was painful to watch.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
There's also a TNN for the cars for weird noises in the steering.
"TNN64-21-2006-05-03 Title: Steering noise, yoke adjustment
Under certain conditions a knocking, thumping, or clicking noise may be heard from the steering. The noise may be heard as a metallic or hydraulic noise. The noise can be heard under the following conditions:

Driving on uneven roads or other large imperfections in the road, especially during right-hand turns.

When stationary, turning the wheel quickly from side to side. The noise may be heard with the engine on or off, and may also be felt in the steering wheel.

Driving at slow speeds and turning the steering wheel back and forth/left and right. The noise can become louder when there is increased torque with the steering wheel movements."

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK - so I hit the joint under the dash, the boot, and the joint near the firewall in the engine bay with lube. There was also a large roller bearing free on the column in the footwell, above the boot. Fit it back under the boot.

Now I get a very noticeable click-click, click-click when turning right, but never left. WTF? Another new symptom is when turning the wheel while stationary, I can hear a fairly loud clank, seemingly from the passenger side.

The clank might be a tie rod, but this weird click-click is something I've never experienced before. If it a worn rack?

edit: Haven't tried to adjust the yoke. I saw the adjustment point under the car, but will need to get it higher on jack stands to reach it. It's on the back side of the rack, yes?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Hit the U joint (in the engine bay) with some PB blaster. You can access it through the little boot behind the brake pedal... Beware, it can be a bitch to get that boot back on.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Pull the front driver's wheel and blast it from the wheel well, there is a direct path you can blast it at from there as well. Probably much easier than pulling and reinstalling the shaft boot.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Lubricating the u-joint doesn't work. Just get a new one. They're less than $75.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Lubricating the u-joint doesn't work. Just get a new one. They're less than $75.

Actually, I just recently had a car where it felt exactly as OP was describing, and a big shot of PB loosened it up just fine.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Actually, I just recently had a car where it felt exactly as OP was describing, and a big shot of PB loosened it up just fine.
Well that's good then. I pulled one and warmed it, then let it sit in a cup of Kroll for 3 days and it never loosened up lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks - went in through the driver's side wheel well. Loosen the joint up - no clicking, no notchy feeling. If it acts up again, I'll replace the joint.

Also - putting the bearing back into the rubber boot in the footwell also killed the loud turbo noise that had appeared in the cabin. So for anyone who suddenly hears a lot of compressor noise, look to see if that bearing is out of place.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Thanks - went in through the driver's side wheel well. Loosen the joint up - no clicking, no notchy feeling. If it acts up again, I'll replace the joint.

Also - putting the bearing back into the rubber boot in the footwell also killed the loud turbo noise that had appeared in the cabin. So for anyone who suddenly hears a lot of compressor noise, look to see if that bearing is out of place.
It's easiest to pull that boot off all the way to feel if there's any resistance in the joint. The boot provides some tension. It's also helpful on 05+ s60s to reinstall the plastic bearing with the boot off since they suck

·
Registered
345 Posts
While changing my frint struts recently, I noticed wear marks on both inner fenders (see photo). I thought this was the cause of my sticky steering, but local volvo indi machanic said I also need to replace the u-joint.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
That's just tire rub at full steer and unrelated to your notchy steering. Notchy is usually a sign your steering universal joint needs lubed or replaced, and when you have strange squeaks and sounds its often the lower boot bearing has popped out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts