SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so while my xc60 is in the dealer for work, they gave me a loaner s60 to drive around. while getting my stuff out from the rear seat, i noticed the small glass that does not open say its made in china...

when purchasing the cpo xc60 from the dealer i remember talking to them about china and how sweden does not allow parts from the chinese volvo factory to get into cars for the western market. i voice my concern that they will start doing that from small insignificant parts, and as we all get used to it, they will start to creep into all the rest of the parts...

is this the beginning?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Volvo has sourced their parts for the older cars from China for some time.

It's not something I'm too enamored of as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think they opened their shanghai factory in 04 or 05? but that was for the chinese market only. i always feared that little bits and pieces would make their way in after that factory opened. then when geely bought volvo, i was pretty sure thats going to happen. there are lots of parts in the car and many we cant see...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh well.
though the chinese even avoid buying cars made in china if they can afford it... citing safety issues.

·
Registered
45 Posts
it's different if the care is made in china and designed in china... compare to some parts from china.
Don't think you have to worry about it.

And think about all other things, almost everything you buy, is from china. At least electronics =) Eg. Iphone...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I went to Euro Disney in Paris and some dolls if not all are made in China lol.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I noticed this about 6 months ago, but since it's only the little glass in the back door, I just ignored it; I mentioned it to the Tech the other day on a test drive and he said, "you'd be surprised at where the parts come from for over a decade now.....e.g. Vietnam and other Asian countries."

If you don't like it, I guess you could stop buying anything that is made in China, than you'd make Apple broke (hmmmmm maybe not a bad thing, lol).

·
Registered
459 Posts
As far as I know, almost all manufacturers use some Chinese made parts in their cars. In today's global economy, that's simply a fact of life.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
In 1994 I picked up an Austrailian-style (Digger) hat near Ayer's Rock (Uhuluru) for sun protection. It had a nice patch of the area that I promptly removed.

It wasn't until I got home to the US that I noticed it was made in China.

On the factory tour we were told about the number of suppliers making parts for each Volvo. Surprisingly little is made directly by Volvo. Some things are obvious: tires, spark plugs, electronic components, struts. But a lot isn't. This isn't Henry Ford's assembly line where Ford even made the spokes for the wheels (and charcoal from the scrap).

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I get a bit of a chuckle when I read the posts along the lines "part X failed after LOWNUMBER miles, Volvo sucks, how could they build such poor quality".

Technically, Volvo didn't build that part, a supplier did. Volvo can have all kinds of standards and tests but even the best will not catch hidden bad quality/manufacturing defects.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I get a bit of a chuckle when I read the posts along the lines "part X failed after LOWNUMBER miles, Volvo sucks, how could they build such poor quality".

Technically, Volvo didn't build that part, a supplier did. Volvo can have all kinds of standards and tests but even the best will not catch hidden bad quality/manufacturing defects.
Sure, but a finished product is merely a sum of its parts. It is Volvo's job to secure the best parts possible to place in their vehicles, and work with their vendors to make parts even better.

Sourcing is a HUGE part of any manufacturing process -- sometimes even bigger than the process itself.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Almost NOTHING for ANY car is actually made by the actual manufacturer, except perhaps their engines (and not all of those either)

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Sadly, very few things these days aren't built outside of China. In any case, this has little to do with them trickling things from their Chinese factory seeing as it hasn't even begun production or is anywhere near being built! This was outsourced the old fashioned way.:rolleyes: If that's any comfort to you...

·
Registered
620 Posts
You're worried about the corner glass? There's a good chance the rims and tires are made in china too. Hell, the "made in Japan" transmission might have half a dozen chinese bits in it too.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
so while my xc60 is in the dealer for work, they gave me a loaner s60 to drive around. while getting my stuff out from the rear seat, i noticed the small glass that does not open say its made in china...

when purchasing the cpo xc60 from the dealer i remember talking to them about china and how sweden does not allow parts from the chinese volvo factory to get into cars for the western market. i voice my concern that they will start doing that from small insignificant parts, and as we all get used to it, they will start to creep into all the rest of the parts...

is this the beginning?
Did you know that Mercedes-Benz makes their brake pads in China?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
there was once a time where everything for china was a knock off, and was junk. people ignorant to change will still think that. Today china will make anything you want them to do and you can choose the level of quality you want. there are factories that are compliant to making medical grade items and at that same factory. you can buy the same grade of product and for the right price you can put your own name on it.

China buys the bulk of our treasury bills. Chinese citizens CAN NOT get a Iphone 5 right now today. So people import it to China and they are selling on the black market for $1000+ USD

You think you buy an american car like a big Chevy tahoe and everything is made in america, the main wire harness is made in china.

How about the big controversy about the US Olympic team uniforms being made in china LOL

·
Registered
744 Posts
There were plenty of parts on my S60 stamped with the Ford Motor Company logo. That was even more concerning to me. :)

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I'd rather have parts with the blue oval on it than Chinese characters.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts