SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my '07 S60R in Jan 2011 with 39K km (24K miles) on it. I'm up to about 70K km now. Haven't done too many mods (check signature) but I think I'm going to have to get a tune and DP to keep up with the crew: A 2011 Stage 2 STI and an '07 Stage 2 Legacy GT Spec B.

I did install the Motorola TK30 bluetooth unit in the spring and I don't think anyone else has it......

I had the volvo unit before but I wanted something that could stream music and had a interface I could use to make calls. It took a while for me to find the right harness for the TK30 to make the mute and center spreaker work as it should but it was worth it. It was all plug and play. In a nutshell, everything works amazing. It has USB, Ipod, 3.5mm and bluethooth streaming. Bluetooth streaming is excellent quality with my Galaxy Nexus and the TK30 has a built in 4 channel amp which helps a lot. Sound works through centre speaker and I couldn't be happier with it.

I can also calls from the unit easily and I think it can also read text messages if your phone supports that feature (doesn't seem to work with Galaxy Nexus)

Hopefully this helps some people on here who are looking for a music/bluetooth solution...

Cost of unit and harness: ~$180

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks for posting!! i've been looking for info about TK30 (started a thread here last week).

how's the call quality - for caller and receiver? does the music title show up on the HU? and does the steering control work?

do you mind sharing the part number of the volvo harness? i know a lot of folks have been having center speaker issues when adding bluetooth kit.

i like where you placed the control unit. any chance of installation photos?

sorry so many questions. you're the first and only person i've found with TK30. thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call quality is excellent...even better than the Volvo/Motorola IHF100 (which I had no complaints about). I mounted the mic on the map light housing on the black part close to the windshield. I think some people mount it inside the housing but I wanted to make sure call quality was as good as possible.

The music title does not show up on the HU but it does show up on the TK30 if you are playing off USB. Bluetooth streaming is largely phone specific and the TK30 doesnt show music titles when I stream off the galaxy nexus. Not sure about ipod, not an apple person. Anytime you turn the knob on the TK30, it takes control over the speakers. For example: If you're listening to the HU and then you want to make a call, as soon as you turn the knob or press a button the speakers will be controlled by the TK30. The HU will still be on but not heard through the speakers. The unit recognized playlists on usb but starts at the beginning of the playlist everytime you start your car.

The TK30 syncs your phonebook so you can make calls without pulling your phone out. Check motorola's site for compatibility here. If you have Iphone, I imagine functionality can only be better than what I have with the galaxy nexus. Reading out text messages doesn't seem to work with the nexus...though I haven't really tried getting it to work either.

Steering wheel controls do not work and I don't think they will unless connects2 (which makes steering wheel control adapters) comes out with the right hardware.

The harness I used is from KRAM and the p/n is audio2car 84958 (http://www.kram.dk/). Search 84958 and you'll find it. I bought it from JustCarKits in the UK (http://justcarkits.co.uk/acatalog/kram-84958-volvo.html). The harness replaces the one supplied with the TK30...you won't need that one.

I didn't take any photos of the install but everything is plug and play. These instructions supplied with the Kram harness should help: http://www.kram.dk/Images/Vejledninger_Eng/EN058.pdf. I mounted the 3.5mm, ipod and usb cables in the glove box.

FYI....the Kram site is frequently down....those links were working when I started this post but not when I finished it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you mR beef! Very helpful info. Lack of steering wheel control isn't a deal breaker. I found it on discount at n1wireless.com for $69.99 (US). I'm very close to making a decision... the most daunting task is probably the microphone routing but I guess that's inevitable no matter what brand I buy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When talking about steering wheel controls, do you mean it breaks the controls for everything or they just don't work for the mp3 player?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When talking about steering wheel controls, do you mean it breaks the controls for everything or they just don't work for the mp3 player?
They just don't work for the TK30. They still work for the HU.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok guys, I got mine in. I have to say the bluetooth is great the music portion is so so. I am not mad I bought it, but if you are an audiophile this may not be for you. The kid bypasses the head unit entirely and and sends audio directly to the amp. Not a bad idea however you loose the eq on your stereo and get stuck with the default options of (jazz, hiphop, dance, and whatever else there is). Since this input is sent directly to the amp the volume knob on the tk30 must be used, that is kind of a pain but oh well. For the money this is a great solution but I just wanted to clarify further how it worked.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Welcome to Swedespeed! Great to see another T.O member here! Where abouts are you located?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have more pics with the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels?

I ordered them with gloss black finish and ET 30 for my V70R.

Very nice Wheels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DevolvR, thanks for the welcome! I'm in north Scarborough (almost Markham). I may have seen your R on the 404 some time ago....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have more pics with the Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Wheels?

I ordered them with gloss black finish and ET 30 for my V70R.

Very nice Wheels.

Sorry....I don't have any other pics of the wheels...and I've got the winter pegs on for now. They are very nice wheels! Gloss black will look sharp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like where you mounted the bluetooth unit. I think its the ideal spot. I didn't put it there because of the buttons for the mass movement sensor and the rear head rests. Nice work!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Motorola Ihf1000 to Motorola TK30 upgrade

mR Beef - I have an '04 S80 & my Motorola IHF1000 just died. When it died, it was frozen as though I was on the phone = no radio, CD, tape or Parking/Reverse Assist tones, the Motorola IHF1000 mute was obviously blocking all other audio. The Volvo dealership originally installed this unit for me, but I was determined to disconnect the IHF1000 and regain the audio from the HU-611 radio & parking assist.

In the meantime I found the Motorola TK30 and can't wait to get it installed, it arrived today.

Good news / Bad news. The good news, I found the IHF1000 control panel under the passenger carpet beneath the glove box and just had to disconnect it to restore my HU-611's audio. Bad news, the interior of my car is in a million pieces and I fear that I won't get the TK30 installed correctly or be able to reassemble the mess I created.

Thanks so much for your posts, huge help. I just ordered the 84958 JustCarKits harness you recommended:
http://www.kram.dk/images/ProductImagesExtra/84958.jpg

A have a few questions if you can recall your experience doing the install last year:
(1) the old ihf1000 harness (Volvo pn 8640105 with 8 pin molex to IHF1000)
will Not work with the TK30, right? You removed this harness when you
pulled yours out too?
(2) in addition to the 84958 JustCarKits harness, do I need any other
'adapters' in between the HU-611 radio and the 84958 JustCarKits
harness?
(3) am I getting this correctly, the install with the 84958 JustCarKits equals:
HU-611 rear gray and green ports --> connect to the 84958 JustCarKits
harness with its gray and green ports --> which connects to the TK30
black box?? It looks much more complicated back there than connecting
these 3 parts... (Yes I read the instructions you posted on Kram's site).
(4) will this configuration let my parking assist beep over my calls on at least
one speaker? I think I need to turn one jumper on the TK30 to let one
speaker get trumped? Or do I need a little box to allow the reverse
beeping now matter what?
(5) do I have to watch out not to trip something that will screw me and
require that I get the Volvo security codes?
(6) do you have the USB and headphones mounted in your glove box with
clips or something 'semi' permanent or just hanging loose in there? If you
could do it again, where you install these cables in the same place?

Hockey930 - love the placement of your TK30 display. Did you run the cable through one of the empty buttons? I was thinking about installing the TK30's 3.5mm jack in one empty button, and the USB in another - but when I looked at it tonight - I looked like I can't/shouldn't open the climate control panel and run the cables in there?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I actually notched that bottom pannel just enough for the wire to run under it. I had to remove a blank filler slot as the unit would not sit flush. I took apart the unit to do so but I belive in the end I realized I did more work removing the blank then I needed to.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mR Beef - I have an '04 S80 & my Motorola IHF1000 just died. When it died, it was frozen as though I was on the phone = no radio, CD, tape or Parking/Reverse Assist tones, the Motorola IHF1000 mute was obviously blocking all other audio. The Volvo dealership originally installed this unit for me, but I was determined to disconnect the IHF1000 and regain the audio from the HU-611 radio & parking assist.

In the meantime I found the Motorola TK30 and can't wait to get it installed, it arrived today.

Good news / Bad news. The good news, I found the IHF1000 control panel under the passenger carpet beneath the glove box and just had to disconnect it to restore my HU-611's audio. Bad news, the interior of my car is in a million pieces and I fear that I won't get the TK30 installed correctly or be able to reassemble the mess I created.

Thanks so much for your posts, huge help. I just ordered the 84958 JustCarKits harness you recommended:
http://www.kram.dk/images/ProductImagesExtra/84958.jpg

A have a few questions if you can recall your experience doing the install last year:
(1) the old ihf1000 harness (Volvo pn 8640105 with 8 pin molex to IHF1000)
will Not work with the TK30, right? You removed this harness when you
pulled yours out too?
(2) in addition to the 84958 JustCarKits harness, do I need any other
'adapters' in between the HU-611 radio and the 84958 JustCarKits
harness?
(3) am I getting this correctly, the install with the 84958 JustCarKits equals:
HU-611 rear gray and green ports --> connect to the 84958 JustCarKits
harness with its gray and green ports --> which connects to the TK30
black box?? It looks much more complicated back there than connecting
these 3 parts... (Yes I read the instructions you posted on Kram's site).
(4) will this configuration let my parking assist beep over my calls on at least
one speaker? I think I need to turn one jumper on the TK30 to let one
speaker get trumped? Or do I need a little box to allow the reverse
beeping now matter what?
(5) do I have to watch out not to trip something that will screw me and
require that I get the Volvo security codes?
(6) do you have the USB and headphones mounted in your glove box with
clips or something 'semi' permanent or just hanging loose in there? If you
could do it again, where you install these cables in the same place?

Hockey930 - love the placement of your TK30 display. Did you run the cable through one of the empty buttons? I was thinking about installing the TK30's 3.5mm jack in one empty button, and the USB in another - but when I looked at it tonight - I looked like I can't/shouldn't open the climate control panel and run the cables in there?

1) Correct. I removed the harness and everything else that came with the IHF100.

2) You do not need anything but the Kram harness. You won’t be able to re-use the mic that came with the IHF100, you will need to install the mic that came with the TK30.

3) It is that simple. Seemed a lot simpler than the install of the IHF1000 with the Volvo harness actually. The green and gray plugs go between the car harness and the HU with ISO connectors for the TK30 module. I believe there is also a plug that connects before the 12V power socket so that the unit knows when the car is on.

4) Not totally sure about this, I don’t have parking sensors but I think you are right about turning one of the jumpers. I turned one of them accidentally when I first installed and got no audio on calls through one of my front speakers; I’m assuming that the sound for the parking sensors would come through that speaker.

5) You need to be careful with the climate control module. I believe you need to disconnect the HU harness before the climate control harness and reconnect the climate control harness before the HU. Don’t quote me on that though, you can disconnect the battery to avoid the risk. Try a search on swedespeed for more direction.

6) I have the headphone jack and usb mounted in the glove box just loosely in there. I don’t use the 3.5mm jack because I have the Volvo ipod adapter and and a dockboss adapter to convert the ipod to a USB and 3.5mm (in the armrest console). The audio is better this way. If I were using the TK30 3.5mm and usb, I would run them through to the armrest console.

Good luck...let me know if I can help with anything else

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not to be at a dead horse, and I figured I would keep it in the same thread as it's relevant to the above discussion.

I have an '06 S40 T5 AWD, that sadly only has the basic audio in it, well, except for adding in the additional tweeters to the rear door through the hidden connections that weren't used in the US but are already prewired.

I've ordered the TK30, and I was looking at the harnesses and plug in adapters and I'm totally confused as it seems like when I do a search based on my car I get back about 4-5 wiring kits that are supposedly compatible with my car.

1st I ordered a wiring kit a few years ago when I was going to put in the older ITH1000 kit, but never got around to it.

It's a Kram #86191
This is the one I have already:
86191 / SOT-048/ PC000019AA - ISO2CAR mute adaptor

Vs. (? )

86191 / SOT-048/ PC000019AA - ISO2CAR mute adaptor

Would this work properly and give full functionality with the TK30?

Next- here are the harness kits that as far as I can tell are compatible with a 2006 basic audio.

1. VOL01TEL - PC000020AA - Volvo to ISO lead set 2000 to 2006. Not suitable for Dolby Pro Logic systems. Ref: VOL01TEL

2. 84955 - Audio2Car Volvo S40/V50 Standard stereo Ref: 84955

3. VOL07TEL - PC000019AA - Volvo Standard Stereo C30 2006 on, C70 2006 on, S40 2004 on, V50 2004 on, XC90 2002 on Ref: VOL07TEL

4. JCK-08-045VOL - Volvo S40 2004 onwards, V50 2004 onwards, C70 2006 onwards Ref: JCK-08-045VOL

5. 84954 - Audio2Car Volvo Standard Stereo Ref: 84954

~sent via twine and tin can.

·
Registered
30 Posts
mR beef: Ioday i finally got around to installing tk30 on my '07 R and ran into some problems. Am wondering if you or anyone else here can offer some insight.

note: i'm a total noob when it comes to car electronics so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

1. The Kram instructions step #6 says: Connect the green connectors on the cableset between the connector on the back of the radio and the connector on the cars wiring loom. Here's my interpretation: Unplug the factory green plug from the back of HU, connect the harness' green (female) plug in its place, then connect the harness' other green (male) plug to the factory green plug.

However, I couldn't get the Kram's green female plug to go all the way into the back of HU. All the pins lined up ok but it just wouldn't go all the way in to snap (in comparison, the factory green plug goes in and out quite easily). It went about halfway in, and no matter how much I forced it it just wouldn't go in further. Did you have this problem? Or am I doing it completely wrong?

The gray plugs by comparison were easy.

2. Power source. Kram's instructions talk about 'ignition adaptor' and the cigarette lighter etc., but it's just isn't clear to me. You mentioned in an earlier post that there's a plug that connects the 12V socket. Where is the socket located? And which plug on the harness is it? I hope I won't have to splice anything.

Sun was already setting so I had to put everything back together, as is. Right now only my center speaker works, and I lost my backup sensor beeps. Hope I'll find a solution and resume in a few days.

Suggestions are desperately welcome!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts