SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This happened last Friday at the annual CTD event. The driver is one of the most responsible and mature members in our group. She wasn't driving recklessly fast or trying to show off, just a spot of bad luck and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I was first on scene from our group, after hearing my good friend crying on the radio. Not crying because she was hurt, but because he baby car was gone. My heart stopped as I rounded the corner and saw the car on it's roof, but it was a true miracle to see Wendy standing on the shoulder of the road looking down at it.

I AM FINE - walked (well crawled out) away. My beloved Esme gave up her life saving mine Friday morning and my Volvo family and strangers helped me get through this.

I was not speeding or driving reckless - I got close to the edge of the road and my wheel slipped off after hitting some gravel on the road (washed down by the rain prior day) as there was no extra pavement past the white line but instead a drop of pavement about 4" tall. The ground I found out later was soft from rain with wash off - I did not have time or the ability to recover after seeing what we had stacked against us. Esme sunk into the soft dirt and we headed down a steep drop off. We stopped with me hanging upside down by my no I was able to roll down the window and finally crawl out.

The fellow who pulled her up asked the driver was. I said me. He then said that is one of the strongest cars he had ever seen. I was told by many of it was anything else I would have been airlifted if I made it at all.

I am beyond words at the outpouring of support in all forms - to all those who where with me as soon as they could get there, from donations to people looking for my new girl to checking in on me. I have heard from people all over the world - not what I ever imagined from having an accident. People who are spreading the word that volvo's save lives. Knowing if I had been in another car I would have not been so fortunate affects one profoundly.
Some of the pictures I took...

20 minutes later as she was signing one of the trees that she hit.

More pictures can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/wendy.moyer.35/media_set?set=a.10153248876016684.799011683&type=3

GoFundMe to put Wendy back into a C30: http://www.gofundme.com/ta2465w

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Wow! :eek::eek:
Glad to hear that she's ok! That could've gone so much worse.
Anyone who's been affected by loose gravel whilst driving knows that it's like hitting a spot of ice, doesn't really need much speed at all, wrong angle and you're done.

(No airbag deploys in the back?!)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah - I was kinda shocked to see no airbags deployed as well.......hmmmmmmm?? Glad to hear she walked away.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Rear Seat Intrusion

I'm happy she is ok but look at this picture:

It is a good thing no one was in the back seat? That is some serious intrusion. I think Volvo could have improved the rear seat roof strength on this car.

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From where the back seat is, you'd still be okay, just not a lot of head room. The car was also dragged along that roof line when it was pulled out, so it may have crunched it down a bit further.

The car technically drove down the hill at a bad angle and then rolled sideways. The top roof was the first thing to hit the tree, so that's probably why the air bags didn't deploy. The B-pillars held up strong!

·
Registered
281 Posts
This is basically what happened to me in December, just a much worse situation. It's so scary how fast you can go from okay to bad. I'm so glad she walked away from that though!!!
And I'm also so grateful to be in a family of cars that are so safe, paired with a community that is so awesome!!

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Wow! Intense post. Glad she's OK!

I'm impressed by the lack of deformity of the front of the passenger compartment, but not so much in the rear. I don't know the physics involved in the crash so it's hard to judge really. Looks like if someone had been sitting in the rear, especially driver's side they would have sustained some serious injury.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Too bad about your C30 and it's a manual at that, but at least you're ok.

Hope you find another C30 soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you all - people are asking me what kind of car I will be getting and I just am jaw dropped that they even have to ask - I say another C30 of course :-D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow! Intense post. Glad she's OK!

I'm impressed by the lack of deformity of the front of the passenger compartment, but not so much in the rear. I don't know the physics involved in the crash so it's hard to judge really. Looks like if someone had been sitting in the rear, especially driver's side they would have sustained some serious injury.
The passengers (if they had been there) would have been bent forward a bit but only minor if any injury - it only LOOKS from the outside like the compartment was compromised but inside told the full story

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
The passengers (if they had been there) would have been bent forward a bit but only minor if any injury - it only LOOKS from the outside like the compartment was compromised but inside told the full story
Thanks! The main thing is no one was hurt. Good luck on your search for a new C30!

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did this happen on the Dragon? It looks like the area.
No, this was just a road headed to Cherohala skyway. Similar area, but not as well taken care of as the dragon. Hence the negative banked turn and gravel...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts