SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Not a happy S40 owner...

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Oldman 
#1 ·
I am a first time Volvo owner, with a 2005 S40 2.4i, but not at all happy with the experience thus far…

I've already had two separate mechanical problems with the car in less than a year, which have required expensive rental car bills while the car's been in the shop…

• My Check Engine light turned on weeks after I purchased the car and it took several days to fix while the Volvo dealer replaced an oxygen sensor.

• My A/C has just stopped working entirely a few days ago; A/C light claims the A/C is on, but there's no cold air and a loud "clicking" sound every few seconds under the hood. Back to the dealer I go.

Plus…

• Like many on these boards, really annoyed by lack of AUX input solution for ipod/Satellite radio. Get with the program VOLVO, this is 2006.

• Guess I also purchased my S40 too early. Even though I have a premium radio, Volvo doesn't offer Bluetooth solution for those "suckers" who have a lower chasse number as a result of purchasing the new S40 early in production. It really sucks when those customers who were the first to purchase get screwed over by lack of support for accessories like Bluetooth.

• "Radio Freeze" problem… asked the dealer twice why my radio gets stuck on the current station when my car starts. They have no clue, despite lots of people apparently having this problem.

• My car shakes violently in the mornings when I am stopped in bumper to bumper traffic. Dealer has no clue and can't reproduce.

• Finally, is it that hard for Volvo to figure out a software update that will stop my clock from running several minutes too slow every few weeks? Is that too much to ask?

I never had a single problem with my 2001 Audi A4 in 3.5 years of ownership, the fit and finish inside the vehicle was not as cheap as my S40 and the 170hp Turbo engine drove a heck of a lot better than the 168hp in the 2.4i. I fell in love with the current model S40 when I first saw it, but I think it's time to end this relationship!
http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm sorry to hear about that....maybe you should try a different dealership....
Another thing, when you bring your car for work don't they give you a loner? I get one when I bring mine (they make me have an appointment). I know that for my old Honda they would even pay for a rental if they took longer than what they had originally stated.

#4 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (gamecrazy500)

Quote, originally posted by gamecrazy500 »
I am a first time Volvo owner, with a 2005 S40 2.4i, but not at all happy with the experience thus far…

I've already had two separate mechanical problems with the car in less than a year, which have required expensive rental car bills while the car's been in the shop…

• My Check Engine light turned on weeks after I purchased the car and it took several days to fix while the Volvo dealer replaced an oxygen sensor.

• My A/C has just stopped working entirely a few days ago; A/C light claims the A/C is on, but there's no cold air and a loud "clicking" sound every few seconds under the hood. Back to the dealer I go.

Plus…

• Like many on these boards, really annoyed by lack of AUX input solution for ipod/Satellite radio. Get with the program VOLVO, this is 2006.

• Guess I also purchased my S40 too early. Even though I have a premium radio, Volvo doesn't offer Bluetooth solution for those "suckers" who have a lower chasse number as a result of purchasing the new S40 early in production. It really sucks when those customers who were the first to purchase get screwed over by lack of support for accessories like Bluetooth.

• "Radio Freeze" problem… asked the dealer twice why my radio gets stuck on the current station when my car starts. They have no clue, despite lots of people apparently having this problem.

• My car shakes violently in the mornings when I am stopped in bumper to bumper traffic. Dealer has no clue and can't reproduce.

• Finally, is it that hard for Volvo to figure out a software update that will stop my clock from running several minutes too slow every few weeks? Is that too much to ask?

I never had a single problem with my 2001 Audi A4 in 3.5 years of ownership, the fit and finish inside the vehicle was not as cheap as my S40 and the 170hp Turbo engine drove a heck of a lot better than the 168hp in the 2.4i. I fell in love with the current model S40 when I first saw it, but I think it's time to end this relationship!

While you have experienced several genuine problems that others around here have also gone through (myself included), I have to admit I find it difficult to believe that you're going to blame Volvo for a lack of aux in and bluetooth capability - you surely knew those features were missing when you bought the vehicle?

Same goes for complaining about the fit and finish - that hasn't changed since the test drive either. Same for the 168hp 2.4i... it's the low end model, low output in a heavy car.

I too hate that Volvo allowed the genuine problems to get through to our vehicles rather than do a more thorough job of engineering and QC. I can't blame them for the fact the vehicle performs exactly as it did on the test drive and you changed your parameters...

UKMatt

#5 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (ukmatt)

I think that about says it all. I will add that this whole integration of everything like $1000 to put a sub in mainly cause of the fiber optic to the back, A basic Radio that can't keep time cause of integration, now is it easy to change out, Lets face it Volvo can't build little do-dads as Honda so the more silly stuff Volvo builds in the more build issues there will be. If I really wanted a full do-dad car that worked, I'd buy a TL.

#6 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (ukmatt)

Quote, originally posted by ukmatt »

While you have experienced several genuine problems that others around here have also gone through (myself included), I have to admit I find it difficult to believe that you're going to blame Volvo for a lack of aux in and bluetooth capability - you surely knew those features were missing when you bought the vehicle?

Same goes for complaining about the fit and finish - that hasn't changed since the test drive either. Same for the 168hp 2.4i... it's the low end model, low output in a heavy car.

I too hate that Volvo allowed the genuine problems to get through to our vehicles rather than do a more thorough job of engineering and QC. I can't blame them for the fact the vehicle performs exactly as it did on the test drive and you changed your parameters...

UKMatt

You're correct that I have no right to blame Volvo for buying the vehicle while knowing those features weren't available. Unfortunately I underestimated how important those features would be when I bought the vehicle. Agreed... that's my fault. However, it's fair to complain if Volvo is failing to address the needs of existing owners who are clamoring very loudly for this feature-and it's fair to take my business elsewhere if Volvo chooses to ignore this growing need.

As far as Bluetooth... I am peeved that Volvo created a solution that's only suitable for some of the S40 chasses. It's like a big FU to those of us that happened to buy an "earlier" 2005 when unbeknownst to us they changed the audio subsystem components and made other changes to the vehicle midway through the same model year.

I am not blaming Volvo for the vehicles performance or fit-and-finish either. I knew what I was buying. I am just stating that having owned both an Audi A4 1.8T (also a low end model) and a Volvo S40 2.8i, I have some buyer's remorse with the Volvo and I'd personally give the edge to Audi.

My opinion is also swayed by having had better service experiences with Southern California Audi dealers (for scheduled service) than with Volvo's. And the icing on the cake in terms of forming my opinion... Audi would cover the replacement of all wear and tear items (expect tires) while under warranty and Volvo does not.

My assessment might be a bit different if it weren't for the mechanical difficulties with my Volvo (and from what I've read mine aren't as bad as many), and for Volvo not stepping up to fill owners needs in terms of the AUX input and (for some of us with the "older" chasses) Bluetooth.

#7 ·

My opinion is also swayed by having had better service experiences with Southern California Audi dealers (for scheduled service) than with Volvo's. And the icing on the cake in terms of forming my opinion... Audi would cover the replacement of all wear and tear items (expect tires) while under warranty and Volvo does not.

Well, don't expect to find that on the next Audi you buy! It was an awesome perk, and both of our Audis really took advantage of it. However, after placing an order for an '07 Audi, we were told that this program had been discontinued for 2007. Also, Mercedes has dropped their free maintenance program, and BMW will soon be putting an end to this as well. I guess it was nice while it lasted...

#8 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (JAS40T5)

Did you own your Audi long enough to suffer from multiple coil pack failures? How about long enough for the engine to plug it's intake manifold? Long enough for the leather to dry out and crack? How about the windows to fall inside the doors?

Yep, Volvo has some silly issues in their cars, but you know what, they're not as bad as Audi has suffered. Plus, the A4 is a soul sucking German Camry, while the S40/V50 has a soul, and some style. I'll take a few quirks, just so I don't see myself on every street corner.

If you want trouble free, ultra doo-dad cars, but a Lexus, or some other gussied up Scrapanese econobox. If you want something unique, the Volvo is the ticket. Mine is an 06, and has been in with clutch troubles, a/c troubles, and it';s going in on Tuesday because the right rear seatbelt doesn't work anymore. Do I care? Nope, not at all. It has a warranty, and my dealer gives me a loaner. Well, it's $24.95 for the laoner, but such is life, at least they give me a Volvo. My other local dealer gave me a free Caravan.

Al

ps - I do think Audi does one thing right. They are nice enough to put the resale value out there on the front grill. That's a great touch.

pps - I used to work for Audi as a tech. There is not enough money in the world to make me own one after that.

#9 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (Al Canuck)

I have to agree with Al here, after owning a VW for the past 4 years, and working on a lot of VWs including the 1.8T, like MAF failures, waterpump failures and the like, you know I don't know of any other car that still fails the waterpump, seems simple enough

#10 ·
How timely. My neighbor just replaced his Passat's water pump yesterday to the tune of $550. I used to get that done in my old BMW for under $300.

My wife and I bought an S40 T5 and a V50 at the same time. Other than the radio channel sticking on both (1 time repair with free loaner) and the check engine light coming on a few times (fixed with free loaner) they have both been fantastic for a total of 30,000 miles.

While I don't agree that Audi's in general are more reliable (on the contrary actually), I do think their design work is nice and their interiors are well done.

As far as the iPod connector...get an FM Modulator. They cost $25 bucks and they work nicely. I picked up one on ebay that has a volume control on it and a digital screen for next to nothing. Problem solved.

-Mike

#11 ·

Amen!

I had the slow clock problem too and that was solved with one of my multiple software updates.

#12 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (Al Canuck)

Quote, originally posted by Al Canuck »
Did you own your Audi long enough to suffer from multiple coil pack failures? How about long enough for the engine to plug it's intake manifold? Long enough for the leather to dry out and crack? How about the windows to fall inside the doors?

Yep, Volvo has some silly issues in their cars, but you know what, they're not as bad as Audi has suffered. Plus, the A4 is a soul sucking German Camry, while the S40/V50 has a soul, and some style. I'll take a few quirks, just so I don't see myself on every street corner.

Al

ps - I do think Audi does one thing right. They are nice enough to put the resale value out there on the front grill. That's a great touch.

PPS - I used to work for Audi as a tech. There is not enough money in the world to make me own one after that.

He said I never had a single problem with my 2001 Audi A4 in 3.5 years of ownership

Why ask him how long he owned the car?

He DIDN"T experience any of the issues you slag Audi with in 3.5 years. he HAS experienced issues with his Volvo in less than a year.

I can totally relate to this point of view.

To me my v50 2.4 was an "expensive" car. I can accept stuff not working properly from the get go or quality issues on a Neon or something. If you pop the money for Audi Volvo etc I expect a certain level of quality.

You can't tell this on a test drive.

My V50 averaged one service visit a month for the first year and a half of its life. including it simply refusing to start due to ignition issues and starnding my Wife and 1.5 year old son. Even roadside assistance wasn't much help because you can't out a baby seat in a tow truck.

Quirks are one thing but the failures and issues SOME people suffer with these cars are simply not acceptable with what is supposed to be a higher end brand.

the lack of acknowledgement of the problems by Volvo and the inability of the services departments to recognize and resolve them is just the icing on the cake.

I'm happy that some people enjoy their s40/v50s and even happier to hear of people who have had no issues. but what separates the good companies from the bad is how they deal with the issues when they do happen to people and on that score Volvo gets a big :thumb down:

#13 ·

And the icing on the cake in terms of forming my opinion... Audi would cover the replacement of all wear and tear items (expect tires) while under warranty and Volvo does not.

I was dead set on an A4 Avant before I bought a V50. In Canada, this "free" service is still available. But do you think it's really free? Nothing in life is free. IT's built into the price of the vehicle and in their high lease/finance rates. At the end of the day, the Audi was $250 more per month without Navigation, Sport Package, Xenon. I got a WAY WAY WAY better deal with the Volvo.

#14 ·

However, it's fair to complain if Volvo is failing to address the needs of existing owners who are clamoring very loudly for this feature-and it's fair to take my business elsewhere if Volvo chooses to ignore this growing need.

I'm not sure I agree with the first part of this - I don't think it's fair to complain to Volvo about not providing a feature that they never committed to provide in the first place. Of course you're absolutely right about it being fair to take your business to those who better meet your expectations.

As far as Bluetooth... I am peeved that Volvo created a solution that's only suitable for some of the S40 chasses. It's like a big FU to those of us that happened to buy an "earlier" 2005 when unbeknownst to us they changed the audio subsystem components and made other changes to the vehicle midway through the same model year.

I understand the frustration but this is a no win situation for Volvo. If they don't make mid year changes where they have identified areas for improvement there'd be a bunch of people on here complaining that Volvo weren't addressing those problems.

At the end of the day, Volvo answers to Ford (which answers to its shareholders). There is a finite amount of R&D budget available and I imagine the cost of engineering a bluetooth solution on the older revisions couldn't be justified by the perceived benefit of owner goodwill. Once again, this was a feature that was never promised to ANY of the owners of the older vehicles.

Volvo isn't perfect by a long stretch - there are some of us that had a valid reason for expecting a memory mirror function (it was after all, written up as a feature in the brochure) and Volvo REMOVED the feature without telling anyone... based on that approach, their approach to Bluetooth and AUX-in is not surprising...

I agree that these functional deficiencies (although understandable in my opinion) are made much more annoying by the accompanying mechanical failures.

Anyway - no hard feelings intended... I was just providing a counterpoint that I thought was valid.

UKMatt

#15 ·

For the time being I am going to hold onto my Volvo, but I sure could use some advice in regards to solving my current vehicle problems…

1) Radio Freeze problem and slow clock: Does anyone know the PART NUMBERS for the software upgrades that supposedly will fix these issues? I've gone to two So. Cal dealers and each claims I have all the latest software updates-though both these problems persist.

2) Bluetooth: I couldn't tell from searching the boards if the Motorola brand IHF1000 (for those of us with the older chasses) can be installed so the calls can be heard through the cars speakers rather than the external speaker that comes with the product. The installation instructions for the IHF1000 say…

"If you intend to connect the system to the vehicle radio to control audio level and the radio supports it, you must connect the audio output (+/-) lines to your vehicle's entertainment system." Forgive my ignorance, but is that possible with my chasse and the MOST system?

3) Car shaking in the mornings when I am stopped in bumper to bumper traffic: As mentioned dealer says they can't reproduce the problem and have no clue. Unfortunately the problem is intermittent, so trying to reproduce is hit or miss. Has anyone had similar problems, and found the cause?

4) No AUX input: Sounds like the best option for highest sound quality is the FM Modulator. Any recommendations for highest quality modulators that shouldn't be too difficult for a local shop to install?

Thanks much!

#16 ·

1) Radio Freeze problem and slow clock: Does anyone know the PART NUMBERS for the software upgrades that supposedly will fix these issues? I've gone to two So. Cal dealers and each claims I have all the latest software updates-though both these problems persist.

The part number for my DIM fix for the slow clock can be found over here.

The part numbers for the fix to my major radio freeze issue were as follows:

1 of 30667241-1 (Total upgrade C)
1 of 30667193-4 (Upgrade aud)

HTH
UKMatt

#17 ·

My point exacally, what is a euro performace sedan? To me over 30 years it was great power, great handling, great looks, great ergonomics, but a no frills, frills were always the market niche for Cadys and Buicks and Olds, and say for the last 10 years Japan has come to dominate the frill market. For some reason ALL Euro cars packaged and sold in the US seem to think "frills" are what makes the market, and in that case they are going to get beat and beat bad by Japan, which makes frills cheaper and better period. I'm convinced if you want seemless bluetooth, Aux, right now, you are better off with a TL.

Look I got my VW 2001 and with optional near $500.00 Monsoon you still had TAPE! TAPE! I ain't used one in a decade. So why cry about Volvo at least it uses the mainstream CD and a great sound system, vs TAPE. Same goes for the Benz C class, upto 2003, the optional Bose was still TAPE, yes TAPE, if you wanted a CD it was $2100 bucks and you need to buy a phone with it too! Crazy, then Benz wonders why they can't sell the car?

IMO, if you think a car is something that needs sunroof, bluetooth, Aux in, auto climate, everthing integrated into the key, power everything, NO GREMLINS, blah blah on down the line, IMO TL has your name on it. If you want a true Euro sedan and uber handling, great power, ergonmoics up the wazuu, then the T5, a really good OEM sound system, safety, zillion mile drivetrain then S40 + suspension package is for you.

On the Audi and no problems, I fix VWs on the side, and VW owners will swear they never have any problems, as a general case, see a VW owner does not think his car in the shop 2 or 3 times a year is a problem. I'm a Volvo owner and I don't think clock running slow (mine does), SSS is a problem either, all of my Volvos needed ECU flashes, I consider my waterpump blowing up a problem and yes I wish Volvo would wise up and build me a car without powerseat, without the "climate control" my V40 was flashed maybe 10 times to fix "climate control" issues. My V70 has the plain old dual zone A/C works 100% nay 1000% better, nay 100000% better and has given me duh NO PROBLEMS.

To sum it up. IMO a VW / Audi owner thinks real things breaking = no problems, a Volvo owner better think flashes and gremilins = no problems, and only a TL owner really knows what "no problems" means. For me I'll live with the Gremilins SSS and the like, it is just part of the car. Bothers me for 1 second a few times a day, but the MPG, the power, the looks well that I like 24/7.

If the trend toward gee-gaws continue I'll be looking into a Mazda 3, or Corolla with the VVT-L engine, or a TL or a V6 Accord etc. Just has VW has killed its market share and lost billions in the US by building and sell full bells and whistle cars instead of building great frill less cars, I see Volvo going down the same road. Remeber the GTI, think back, handling, looks, ergonomics, knowbody remembers if the seats were power or that it had a sunroof only, or that everything in the world was built into the key.

Note I'm not telling people what kind of car they should buy, I'm just saying that right now today, if you want a car to be like the Euro cars of the 70s, 80s and 90s the S40 can deliver, but if you want a 21st century car with every WORKING electronic thingamajig.... TL dud nuff said.

#18 ·

Consider yourself lucky with the Audi, many B5 owners had lots of issues, ask in the B5S4 forums, what nightmares.

I owned a 96 850T wagon that had three things go wrong 1. pcv hose came loose stranding me, fixed at dealer on a Saturday, down time 2hrs. 2. Carbon buildup after car sat for 4 wks while I was travelling, smoked horribly and ran rough, dealer said drive it hard, never came back. 3. A/C evap core leaked out of warrenty $1800 for new core and compressor, could make ice cubes. I had $35k in mods on the car, no squeaks or rattles, just sold last month with 56k miles to a good home, new owner loves it! no problems.

My 04 Audi S4 Avant, 6sp V8 came special order loaded and has 27k mi also with no interior issues to date, I have XM/Onstar and NAV which have all worked as described. The car didn't come with bluetooth or i-pod integration, I don't need it and my car was $58k. How could Audi have known that Bluetooth or i-pods would have been so popular, they don't sell enough cars to justify major changes to satisfy a few people. Japanese makers sell far more cars and thus can justify offering the latest gizmos.
My Audi had it's gearbox go while returning from a trip, this in turn fried the clutch plate with gear oil to the tune of $18k for Audi, Friends with the same car had engines fail at $25k a piece, one at 30mi after he picked the car up from the dealer with 45mi on the car, didn't make it home, another had 2 engines go and had to fight Audi almost to court to have them settle. One final one has had ongoing issues since almost day one his engine has been out at least a dozen times to have parts replaced, the engine being fully replaced once and the dealer and Audi still can't find what is causing the continued problems. I consider myself lucky that the only other problem I have had was a broken bolt holding the alternator on.It's such a beautiful car and rare only 400 S4 Avants imported for 04, lease will be up in 5 mo hard choice to make, keep it or let it go?

My 05V50T5 has 4800mi (driven by and for my Mother) other than the occasional radio freeze it has no issues to date. This car was European delivery and a car already produced and sat for 3mo before we picked it up, I put 3200mi on it while in Europe at speeds of 80-120mph on the autobahn and four laps of the Nurburgring topping out at 147mph and running off the track at 60mph no damage no issues, it has been so good that I am considering getting another Volvo either a V70R, XC90 or the new C70 all for OSD.

The best vehicle I own is my first year, only out a few month,97 Dodge Dakota 4x4 with 87k mi, its a work truck and looks like it's been through the ringer, yet in all that time I have replaced 2 batteries and a water pump other than normal maintnance items. And that from an American car built in Mexico.

Its the luck of the draw, when choosing a car some come with no problems and others are nothing but.

#20 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (roadrosen)

Nah, all VW, Audi guys are in denial, VW look good, great driving, with a full shine suspension great handling, great ergo, but quality PLEASE, Audi is better but not a lot, still like the new Passat what a car, I'd take the 6 problems a year with the car IF I could get the new piezio electric diesel and 6 speed manual in the US.

#21 ·

I'll join you in being an unhappy S40 owner. I have a brand new 2006 S40 T5. This is my first experience with a Volvo and my LAST. I have always had Japanese cars that have been problem FREE! My car has been in the shop 3x before it's first "scheduled maintenence".
I have a HORRIBLE screaching sound when I am in reverse and on the brake (e.g. backing out of a parking spot). Volvo told me that there is "no fix for the problem and that they are aware of the issue". I've had all 4 pads and calipers replaced at 7,000 miles. That is absurd! It still did not fix the problem. The sound is embarassing and gets worse each day.
Volvo N.A. has been contacted and I am taking it all the way to the top.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with this car for another 2 1/2 yrs. http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

#22 ·
Re: Not a happy S40 owner... (S40inLA)

agree the Camry is a great appliance car, except for the bad surge problem for the 4 engine same as the Scion tC. and your brakes don't know anyting about the sound, I find it hard to believe that the dealer could not fix it, these are disk brakes and as with ANY disk brake setup rocks and road junk can get stuck between the pads and caliper; also the large rotors will build up surface rust quickly that has to be rubbed off, true on all cars with iron rotors (just about every car on the planet) coupled with some serious brake pads, um I would assume these pads are not going to be appliance quite.

Even though I like Nippon cars, I don't think that god himself puts them together.

I should add that many brake places can toss on a set of organic soft pads for $100.00 gee like this is a show stopper or something.

Modified by Oldman at 11:01 PM 5-15-2006

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.