SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Not a great day for the XC90......compressor locked up!

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  XC90_B8444S 
#1 · (Edited)
'Twas not the best of days for the XC90. Had a call from wifey that the car seized up and stopped while she was out, so of course, I had to go meet her, give her my XC60 and deal with the car.

$112.50 for the tow. I have AAA, but they were running 3 hours on sending a truck, so I said hell with it and hired another company who doesnt accept AAA.

Anyhow, had a call a few minutes ago from service advisor that the compressor has locked up. Of course, at 65k miles, we are just barely beyond the warranty. She is pushing Volvo USA to cover it, which would be great, especially since I bought a new XC60 2 months ago. Fingers are crossed - its about a $1,000 repair item, per her estimate.

She has never seen one lock up with so few miles. Ugh!

Stay tuned.

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunate events but what do you mean "Compressor Locked up?" Is the truck a 3.2L if so isnt that a naturally aspirated motor, event if its a V8 it is also naturally aspirated.

Are you referring to the AC Compressor?If so I was unaware that if the AC compressor locked up that you could no longer operate the car and it will not turnover

Very interested to understand what went wrong :)

Keep Us Posted!

KC

#3 ·
Yes, it was the AC compressor that "locked up", and somehow, that caused several of the belts to shred - their best explanation, or at least, that is how it was explained to me.

The good news is the Volvo agreed to cover it despite being 4k over the factory warranty. I am very pleased.

- Pete

PS - E63 Renntech Stage 3? WOW.................what a screamer.

#4 ·
Hmmm, interesting situation you have, that is excellent Volvo stepped up to take on the $4k cost. I cannot say Mercedes Benz would do the same.

I have a squeaking bearing on my AC Compressor when I start up the truck, I have tried everything to quiet it down, only thing that works is to get the engine warm. Did you or your wife notice any sounds prior to the failure?

Thanks on the Benz, gotta have at least one car that lets me feel like a Hooligan still :)

#5 · (Edited)
Most ac compressors can lock up in several ways. The internal "piston" area, which is lubed by oil added in the refrigerant, can lock up especially if the oil is low or contaminated.... this usually results in just no ac. The serpentine belt pulley is mounted in prelubricated bearings ... they can lock up.... this will force the compressor to rotate until it likely fails. And thirdly, the electrical driven clutch usually is also mounted in prelubed bearings ... the clutch is often an area of failure and can bring the serpertine belt to a smoking halt! This last failure, the clutch, is likely what you have.

#6 ·
Who are you talking to?

Thanks,
KC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.